“Sadly gone downhill”
Review of Brufani's - CLOSED

Brufani's
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Brufani's Steak & Gourmet Burger Restaurant seats 45 people and is a family owned and managed establishment and is the only char grilled steakhouse in the area.Brufani's specialises in steak and home made gourmet burgers using only top quality locally sourced beef.Gourmet Burgers are home made on the premises using the same quality beef as the Steaks and there is also lamb, chicken & vegetarian burgers available. To compliment these, we also offer healthy exciting salads and some fish and chicken dishes as well as home cut fries.Brufani's is now open from 5.30pm until 9.30 pm and has a separate children's section on its menu. To keep the children entertained, we also supply complimentary crayons and colouring sheets.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My first vist for a year or two and what a disappointment. My 3 friends and I had booked a table for Friday night (the restaurant was about a third full) but having ordered 4 beefburgers we had a 45 minute wait for 4 very ordinary burgers. I cannot imagine what the "chef" was doing all this time! On my last visit they were superb burgers - and worth the price - hence our visit. It will be a while before I return - if at all. They need to up their game as there a number of very good eating houses now in Wells.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Dined here with some friends, I ordered the lamb shank,on first tasting I thought it was a catering vacuum sealed shank,but as it was fatty,slightly undercooked and lacking in taste! I assume someone had cooked it from scratch,very disappointing. My partner had. Cheesey burger and when I asked him about it he said he had had better at McDs!
On the positive side,the wine was good and everyone loved the chips!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went for dinner here with friends on a Saturday evening following a family member's recommendation. The menu was quite varied, but is mainly burgers, steaks and pizzas with a few other mains.

We had booked a table, and when we arrived were half heartedly waved towards a table in the corner, not shown to it which was a little odd. The room has a strange atmosphere, and feels a little like tables put into the front room or reception area of a hotel. It doesn't help that they have the radio on rather than music; listening to the news whilst on a night out is a little odd!

The problems started with our drinks and starters; wrong drinks brought over, Cajun spiced buffalo wings were rosemary spiced, nothing Cajun at all. And the nachos were straight out of a packet, with an awful guacamole which had no flavour at all - clearly from a cheap jar.
After a while the mains arrived; two lamb burgers, a chicken burger and a ham hock. The burgers here are listed as "gourmet" which must be the reason you only get 6 chips with each meal! Not enough to satisfy a grown man's hungry stomach! We asked when ordering the burgers if they came with a side salad and were told yes. Except the salad turned out to be a piece of lettuce and a slice of tomato in each burger; if we'd known this we would have ordered a separate side salad.
The lamb patties were very well cooked and tasty, but let down by dry buns and meagre portions of chips. The chicken burger was inedible - meat has been mixed with breadcrumbs to form the burger (no mention of this on the menu) and then battered. The only flavour was bread, from the bun and the burger and it was beyond dry. Unfortunately as no waitress did any kind of check back on us, and we were seated well out of the way we couldn't send it back, which is where the ham hock saved the day. This meal is HUGE, and fed the rest of the table as it is far too much food for one person to eat!

Eventually when the waitress came back to clear the plates and asked if everything was ok we asked her to speak to the manager. Who is clearly very green. In his defence, he did apologise for the problems with our evening, and advised that all staff are trained to check back (we didn't see this happen once during our stay and it was a busy night) and refunded the cost of two of the burgers.

We did unfortunately see a number of other complaints during our time in the restaurant, so perhaps they were wholly unprepared for a full Saturday night booked out restaurant?

Reviewed April 7, 2012

This restaurant serves the traditional fair favoured by many similar establishments - burgers, steaks, pizzas - plus interesting additional items such as a hock of ham. My burger was fine - my wife's ham hock was excellent. The only problems was that the room was far too cold - seemingly unable to adapt to the cold snap that occurred whilst we were in Wells. This detracted from the experience - and certainly did not help the temperature of the food.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We went here for dinner on a Thursday night. The staff were very welcoming and we were seated quickly.

Good points: Staff very friendly and efficient. Good menu choice. Tempura prawns to start were amazing. We both had fillet steaks (huge) which can be very difficult to cook properly BUT they were done to perfection. One rare and one medium rare and you could really tell the difference. Gorgeous flavour and texture - best piece of beef I have had for a long time. Chips also delicious.

Bad points: The decor, ambience, lighting was all slightly disappointing and also "cafeteria" like.

Would I return, probably. If I did, would I have the fillet steak again, DEFINITELY.