“Perfect meals twice in a row”

Ensemble - Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Tue, 10/22
8:00 PM
Ranked #6 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Description: Ensemble is an exciting new restaurant looking to offer the very finest food and drinks from locally sourced suppliers cooked to perfection in a relaxed and design inspired surrounding. Our first restaurant is due to open in Wells, Somerset overlooking the stunning medieval Wells Cathedral. We welcome you to join us for a light bite, evening meal or simply for a glass of wine from our collection
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

In Wells for a four day stay, for our first evening we pre-booked Ensemble for Tuesday dinner as some restaurants are closed on that night. Most surprised that it was not busy as Tuesday is the 3 course set dinner for only £22.50. Excellent food and brilliant value for money. Then we returned on Thursday for Burger night. Did not realise that this was only £15.00 per head for a choice of burger (we chose the pork burger) on a brioche roll with a large portion of chips, a dessert and a glass of wine or soft drink. Excellent food again and amazing value for money. Have seen the previous reviews, so some people may have mixed feelings about eating there. However, give it a try. For us it gave great food and great service and of all the restaurants we tried, this for me was the best as well as having the best decor.

Date of visit: September 2019
Simon L, General Manager at Ensemble - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Thank you for your great review about Ensemble on TripAdvisor.
Tuesday can go from one extreme to the other, with regards to bookings, as we say, there is no pattern in Wells. We do try to tempt people to dine on Tuesday evening by offering a two course menu at £18.50 or three courses for £22, the dishes being taken from our Wednesday to Saturday a la carte menu. The fact you found our food & service “ Great” means an awful lot to everyone here.
We do hope to see you back, when you next visit wells.

Write a reviewReviews (213)

Reviewed September 12, 2019

My last visit here was a disappointment thanks to a cold main course and an indifferent pudding but I enjoy eating here and have subsequently visited for two dinners and a lunch. I’m glad to say my faith in Ensemble was justified, as all three visits were extremely enjoyable, and both the scallop dish and the sea bass on spelt risotto were of the highest quality.There are still inconsistencies - the pork burgers were judged almost unpleasant in their undercooked appearance and unusual flavouring, and I still think that puddings are a weak area - but I nonetheless always have a really great all-round experience here, the food complimented by the charming front of house welcome. And the lunchtime offer of three courses for fifteen quid must be the bargain of the century!

Date of visit: August 2019

Thank you for taking the time, once again, to write a review about your latest visits to Ensemble.
We are very happy that we have re-established your faith in Ensemble.
Your very kind comments about the food, that you have had & the service that you have received from our front of house staff, are very much appreciated.
We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2019 via mobile

We first ate here last year but having recently returned for an evening meal at the end of July and lunch in early August, it’s high time to write a review. We have been very impressed each time we’ve eaten here. It’s a friendly place with tasty, well presented food, great local wine and nice decor. If you are lucky, you also have a view of the fabulous cathedral. The restaurant isn’t exactly small but the kitchen capacity is, so it’s wise to book for the evening. We shall certainly visit next time we are in Wells.

Date of visit: August 2019
Simon L, General Manager at Ensemble - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2019

It was with great pleasure that we read your review of Ensemble on TripAdvisor.
The fact that you have returned to eat with us on several occasions & have enjoyed your visit every time, means a great deal to us all here at Ensemble.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2019

We went there on an impromptu visit and were absolutely delighted. The owner was friendly, welcoming, and knowledgeable. All food is locally sourced, fresh and seasonal. All courses were delicious and delightfully presented.

Date of visit: August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review Ensemble on TripAdvisor.
Your very positive comments about our food & service that you received mean a great deal to us & the fact you appreciated the locally sourced, fresh produce that made you meal so delicious.
We do hope you enjoyed your stay in Wells & will come again.

Reviewed August 8, 2019

This was our third visit this year and sadly the most unsatisfactory. My lamb was cold when it arrived to the point that the fat(which I like!) was beginning to congeal. I suspect that it was left too long waiting as my partners scallops (by contrast absolutely superb) were being given meticulous attention. I declined replacement - too hungry to wait! - and made the most of what would have been a lovely piece of meat. To compound matters my pudding was poor, the pastry dry and unlovely. The management did rectify things somewhat with a free glass of wine. I like this restaurant and can overlook the occasional inconsistency in quality : I’m eating there again later this week. I hope my faith in them is justified!

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank Eddylevel
Simon L, General Manager at Ensemble - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2019

I was sorry to read that your last visit was not to your expectations, as your previous were so enjoyable.
All our dishes are cooked to order to insure the best quality & flavours are achieved & our desserts prepared fresh daily. We would have liked to re-cook your meal, so your lamb was to your liking, but understand that you were too hungry to wait.
We do hope that your next visit restores your faith in the food that we serve. I look forward to seeing you return.