“Good food lovely views and location grumpy barman”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rodney Stoke Inn

Rodney Stoke Inn
Ranked #17 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good food lovely views and location grumpy barman”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were driving from Weston to Stonehenge (the long way) and as we were both hungry decided to stop at the first nice looking place which was the Rodney Stoke Inn.
We looked at the menu and both chose our food at the bar. Informed that the kitchen was only open for another 15 minutes by the barman. He seemed particularly grumpy and preoccupied with some people in an adjacent bar.
We sat outside which had an excellent view and nice kept garden.
The starters arrived and we're delicious.
The main course arrived shortly after and was quite nice but the salad was a bit too over prepared and my girlfriend wasn't too keen on the lettuce but that's perhaps her preferance.
The egg on the gammon I had tasted odd too.
Having finished our food, we left to carry on our journey.

Somerset, United Kingdom
“Average this time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

We have been many times to this restaurant which has been excellent but this time we just felt it was average. The starters and main seemed to be plumped up with a lot of lettuce! Garlic mushrooms were nice. Pate was a bit mushy. The steak was over done and my beet root and Brie pie was tasteless and the bottom of the pastry was not cooked. The pub itself is lovely and the food is well presented but the quality we felt has gone down. Just one little thing it would be nice to be greeted with a smile from the gentleman that was behind the bar.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank gillwebb
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Don't Go if you got children you won't be made Welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Well we had been out for a ride out on this Easter Sunday and on the way home we stopped off for something to eat me my husband, daughter-in-law and my lovely Granddaughter ,we entered the bar and I had my granddaughter on her rains I let the rains go just to get some money out for some drinks I still had my eyes on her and she went by the pool table Quite safe and before i got some money out one of the bar staff a male came barging over and said keep that child under control Well with that warm welcome I closed my purse and walked out we went to the Nelson in Churchill and they made us feel so welcome and we had a lovely meal and my Granddaughter was made so very welcome.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Catherine C
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Staff Attitude / Unacceptable delay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I don't think we saw any of the waitresses smile once during our visit. There were plenty of them, not many customers and a distinct "attitude" towards customers. You could see the derisory looks and sneers between the waitresses - even amongst themselves. Not once during our meal did they return to ask if we were OK or did we need more drinks, only to take the order and deliver the food.

At one point, having waited over an hour for our main course, my wife asked how long our food would be, the waitress disappeared and we never saw another waitress until 10 minutes later bringing our food.

The food was OK, certainly nothing special and nearly £10 for a smoked salmon starter which had 2 measly pieces of salmon is taking the mickey. Their menu is raising expectations to a level that their chef is clearly unable to meet.

With the food taking so long, we asked to speak to the Manager. A rather intimidating guy appeared who point blank refused to accept there was anything wrong in waiting an hour for our main course blaming a busy service - at it's height we counted 6 tables occupied. Busy? Really?

So, with a manager like that, I guess it is easier to understand the attitude of the waitresses and the contempt they show their customers.

One day, I hope they get to visit a genuinely busy pub in the real world and see, even when busy, waitresses can smile and be attentive to customers. It will reflect in their tips as well.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Portmeirionman
Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

The ambience was good, food and service excellent and good selection of ales. A good all round experience

Visited April 2014