“Perfect for a stay in Glastonbury”
Review of Melrose House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glastonbury
Melrose House
Ranked #6 of 53 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
“Perfect for a stay in Glastonbury”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had a perfect 3 nights here attending a course in Glastonbury. Sarah and her daughter made me very welcome and could not do enough to ensure my stay in Glastonbury was perfect with maps, directions, suggestions for restaurants etc.
The accommodation was very comfortable with a large, fully equipped bedroom (the umbrella in the drawer was a nice touch!). The en-suite was big with a large modern shower and a separate roll top bath.
The house is at the base of the Tor and ten minutes walk from the High Street. A stile in the back garden leads directly onto the Tor, great for brisk walks to work off the generous breakfasts!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Melrose House undoubtedly ranks among the 'best 10' we have encountered in our many trips to the UK. The 'Burrows', the detached accommodation is fabulous!!

Room Tip: Try the 'Burrows' - U'll love it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Henro09
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Beautiful site, lovely decor, gorgeous grounds...however, the lady of the house was unable to crack a smile...half the fun of staying in a guest house is the interaction with the proprietors...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LovinLife8888
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I need to go to Glastonbury regularly to visit my son who is in a boarding school there. So it is important for me to find a place to stay that is charming but not too dear and close to school since I don't drive. Melrose House meets all my requirement. The room is clean and tastefully decorated. The bed is high but very comfortable. The bathroom is very clean. But it could use newer and fresher towels, and could put a hanging rack inside the shower unit.

What I like most is breakfast. It is very heathy, with all kinds of local Yeo Valley yogurt, and freshly cut fruits. The cooked breakfast is not the typical big portion, but is very nicely done with egg, bacon, mushrooms and tomatos on French toast. It's just enough for me. It's best to tell the host that you need to have breakfast 20 minutes earlier than you intended it so she could get the them ready for you when you come down to the breakfast room, which is nicely decorated and very spacious and homely.

Although I wouldn't say the host the most warm person, but she is kind and offered me a ride to school.

I can also see why some other travelers feel a bit uncomfortable with the host's children being in the house. It is true, you can always hear them talking even though quietly in the kitchen, which is probably their main gathering place. So you do feel that there is not much privacy for you and you are interrupting their family living. So mostly I just lock myself in my room once I get there. It doesn't bother me for my purpose. I'd go back to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pickypinky
Halesowen
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed with group of friends for one night. Very happy with Tor Room. Spacious, very clean and quality furnishings. Took the garden path to the Tor ... a little hairy as you have to step over barbed wire. A little awkward and slippy.

Lovely quality breakfast.

Would recommend to my friends and would stay again.

Peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DiningDivaHalesowen
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This being our only planned holiday of the year I did not want to be dissappointed and I wasn't. From the start of my booking to leaving Sarah was accomodating, helpful and friendly. On arrival we were given a map of Glastonbury with restaurants and coffee shops which was very helpful, this saved us alot of time and was useful.
We used the B&B as a base as we had tickets for the Musical Extravaganza early August in Glastonbury Abbey, it is only a 15 min walk into Town.
We stayed in the Tor Room which was exactly as described on the website and backed onto the Tor, a really good sized room the twin beds are large and comfortable, with a good sized bathroom and a great shower which did have shampoo etc in case you had forgotton them. It had tea, coffee & water.

Breakfast is served in a lovely dining room with an extensive choice of organic cereals, yoghurt and fruit (particularly like chopped up strawberries and grapes). Then an of English breakfast of your choice, particularly enjoyed tasty mushrooms, served by a lovely friendly young lady. There was a table with lots of information books about Glastonbury and the surrounding areas.

We particularly enjoyed our stay at this bed and breakfast, we were not dissappointed and will definately be staying again and recommending to friends and will use the new accommodation being built at the back of the garden, lovely!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harding031985
Reviewed June 29, 2011

First of all, the House is great. Situated beautifully beneath the Tor of Glastonbury within easy reach - only climbing over the fence at the rear of the garden (careful, barbwire) and nearly already at the top!

Having been booked into the "Dove Room" we were looking at the grounds as stated on the webpage. The Room itself was clean (but cobwebbs covering the edges of the Room), the en-suite bathroom is spacious and fairly new with great shower facilities.

Staying at the B&B just after the famous Glastonbury Festival we anticipated Somerset inconvinience. As we gave our approximatly arrival time the owner seemed quite astounded to find us at her Home. We were then shown to the breakfastroom (1 Big Table for all guests) and nearly forgotten.

The breakfast was served at said table, no menus or nicely set up Table present. The Food was cooked to the liking and fresh locally produkts have eben used.
After serving the Food the owner closed the door and you fehlt somehow shut off and unwelcomed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple