“Very Friendly - Excellent”

George and Pilgrims Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
Wales
“Very Friendly - Excellent”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. Having one night in the old part of the hotel in The King Henry VIII room. Lovely four poster bed lots of history to room. Would recommend this hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful. We absolutely loved our stay.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank HawtinWales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Brookmans Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I cannot believe some of the reviews saying this is the best hotel they have ever stayed in!!!
We arrived at 8.20 in the evening to be told, no food stops at 8pm!! I have never been to any hotel that food stops at 8??
When we went to check in we asked if we could see the room, to which the reply was no, do you want the room or not?? We don't show rooms!! And if you saw the bed you would know why, the double bed had springs poking through it, it was fit for a skip and nothing else, how in this day and age anyone can expect a couple to sleep in a bed that was this bad is unbelievable to be honest, in with morning we both had aching limbs from th e pressure points of metal sticking in us.

Breakfast was a joke, no fruit or yoghurt s or breads or pastrys, just packet cereal then order your cooked breakfast , the full English was ok, but I ordered kippers, which had obviously been deep fried and was all burnt, the girl serving was wearing a vest top at 8.30am not really what you should wear to serve breakfast, it really was overall a terrible experience and even my 14 year old son was shocked at how poor it was, the place is tired and unkept, and to be honest we would have been more comfortable sleeping in the car!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank angelaharris13

Travelers are raving about these Glastonbury hotels

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel was just brilliant in every way. The history and atmosphere is very charming as are the staff. We stayed on 21/2 for 2 nights and we arrived early before check in. Cath (the manager) was very happy to look after our luggage so that we could explore Glastonbury. We were greeted with such a warm, friendly welcome and given lots of information about the hotel. My partner had stayed here before many years ago and loved it, I now know why. The accommodation was clean, the bed very comfy and the décor in keeping with the 13th century inn. The food was first class, we had lunch and dinner and both really enjoyed which is a great achievement as I have a fussy partner. The breakfast was brilliant, lots on offer and a wide selection. Chef's sausage was the best sausage I have had and I looked forward to his sausage every morning. Ignore the negative comments, I have worked in a 5 star hotel for 16 years so know the industry very well and I would recommend this hotel to everyone. The staff especially deserve special recognition for the happy, genuine, friendly service at all times, they were clearly happy in their jobs and should be proud of themselves. Finally the husband and wife managers are quite simply the very best managers I have come across in a long time and make the George and Pilgrim the success that it clearly is. Well done and thank you for a lovely, comfortable, enjoyable stay with you, we look forward to coming back to see you all, and I look forward to Chef's sausage again.

Room Tip: Ask for the old original rooms, you may even see a ghost!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nickie B
Newport, Shropshire, UK
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

What an amazing place. I've often been in for a drink but never to stay before. I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews but really shouldn't have worried. We received a warm welcome and a good clear explanation of how to access the (excellent, free) wifi and the other hotel facilities. The room was warm, clean and it was a bonus having a bedroom and a lounge.
The hotel is right in the middle of Glastonbury, is full of history and really makes you feel part of the town and it's unique atmosphere.
We opted for the bar and a meal in the evening and were very pleased with our choice. The house red is well worth a try and the food was excellent, I had roast pork with thyme fresh from the garden.
The breakfast in the morning was great, but I think they missed a trick not having some nice locally baked bread for the toast but for a meal included in the very reasonable room price it fitted the bill nicely.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and I would happily return and recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank NancyDUB
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I can honestly report this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. The room was clean, welcoming, warm, bed comfortable and plenty of hot water. This is a hotel with history and character which adds to the charm although I saw no ghosts. The breakfast was excellent and it was staffed by friendly people. What more do you need in Glastonbury.

Room Tip: Although room above bar noisy quiet after 12.00
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hilary S
London
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was apprehensive about going here with all the bad reviews but thought we'd give it a go anyway as it looked nice as we walked past...Well So Happy We Did! As we now absolutely love the George!
We we're greated by a lovely women who talked to my 5yr old daughter about the friendly dragon in the celler and completely incaptured her imagination!
Absolutely love the landlord Andy who was so welcoming and friendly! Would recommend this place to everyone! Stayed an extra night in glastonbury to be here and will stay again. Thank you soo much Andy and Cath, from Louise,Sy and Boe xx

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Louloulambe
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 28, 2014

It looks great, for sure. Shame the food is awful and overpriced, the rooms are very average, and the staff are testy, rude, and unprofessional. Wouldn't recommend unless you like cracked paint, and uneducated morons overcharging you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank sizzyfid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Meare Manor
#1 of 52 in Glastonbury
Glastonbury Townhouse
Glastonbury Townhouse
#3 of 52 in Glastonbury

Been to George and Pilgrims Hotel? Share your experiences!