“A truly great pub”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love this pub, it's everything you could want in a traditional old pub. It oozes character from the wooden beams to the stained glass windows. The bar staff were welcoming and friendly and though quite busy served very quickly. The drinks are reasonably priced too. I ordered a meal and was very pleased. I had steak which was perfectly cooked and served with real chips, salad, mushrooms, peas and the biggest, crispest and nicest beer battered onion rings I have ever tasted. Highly recommended for a drink or for food, would definitely return.

1  Thank Redders16

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We weren't expecting much as we bobbed in here out of the rain, but it was really very good! The barmaid was very friendly and patient while we mucked her about changing our drinks orders and quizing her about the menu. We ordered two of the pies which are a whole meal in a pie - containing meat, veg and pots under a falky pastry lid. They were really superb, the beef was tender and in a gorgeous beer gravy. The kids ordered a chicken burger and a beef bruger, both were home cooked, a slice of chicken breast, and a home made burger. They were really well cooked and had proper grated cheddar on instead of a slice of plastic cheese. I thought it was great! Really cheap and very nice food well cooked. fab place as well!

1  Thank lucindajane15
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Don't think I'll eat there again. Dinner took an hour to arrive from order, though it was OK when it did. Pretty average pub food but it was under £35 for three of us. My steak was nicely cooked and my companions enjoyed their (1) stuffed chicken breast and (2) sole - but it was all a bit 'beige' if you see what I mean.
The pub was full of pixies - I do not jest - which was moderately entertaining.
The loos are horrid and inadequate.

1  Thank Beth L
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Service was prompt. Beer was well kept, and food was quick, flavoursome and filling. We came in behind a 20 cover party and despite this the food wait was about 25 minutes, perfectly acceptable I think. I read reviews previously and the negative ones were certainly not my experience.

1  Thank Les C
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After sightseeing in Glastonbury, we called into the medieval 'George and Pilgrim' pub for a sit down and some rehydration.
The pub was once a coaching inn specialising in accommodation for pilgrims visiting Glastonbury Abbey.
Olde-worlde atmosphere but, as is often the case in late afternoon, local people with apparent problems seemed to make up most of the clientele. But they did direct us to where we could buy the local cider - the Co-op!; "go to the Co-op, go in the door, ....."