The Luttrell Arms
$95
  • Breakfast included
$189
$177
Dunkery Beacon Hotel(Wootton Courtenay)
$94
Marston Lodge Hotel(Minehead)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe secret gardenbar menudunster castlemain restaurantfeature roomsuper sundaylight lunchpublic roomsbar areafour poster bedsunday lunchsuperior roomnew ownerslovely hotelgreat atmospherepuddingnooks and crannies
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having been to Dunster in the past to visit the castle I always said I would like to stay at the Luttrell Arms one day, As I had a birthday due and we were going to Somerset for a few days we thought this would be a good time and also reading that it was under new ownership and a lot of improvements had been made to update the rooms, we booked. We were welcomed by a friendly receptionist and personally taken to our room on the second floor, which was lovely, a large kingsize bed, flat screen tv which allowed internet access and fridge. It overlooking the yarn market and main road through Dunster but even with the window open it was not really noisy. We had a large new bathroom with bath and shower BUT only one problem, in the evening I took a shower before going out to eat and while my hair was full of shampoo and I had shower gel all over me the water stopped... no pressure at all, in the end I had to use the sink to try to get the shampoo out but only a trickle of water came out. I telephoned reception who came straight up and offered us a new room or use of another room to shower on the same floor, it was dealt with efficiently and quickly, I was impressed. Next morning we used the shower in the (now shower room) but the same thing happened, the water stopped, thankfully after I rinsed out the shampoo. It must be when water is being used by rooms on a lower floor. The hotel staff are friendly and the hotel is very clean. We ate in the bar that evening, usual bar food Steak/chips, cod/chips, scampi/chips but it was very nice. Breakfast was very nice, help yourself to cereals, pastries and fruit juice etc, and a very nice full English. We shall definitely come again and tell friends but maybe ask for a room on a lower floor. overall a very good hotel and I would have marked it excellent if it wasn't for the shower problem.

Room Tip: any room if water pressure sorted
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laplaca
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited this hotel 2 years or so ago and we did enjoy our stay. The hotel is now under new management and many improvements have been made. The staff were very polite and helpful but the service in the restaurant was poor. We went in for breakfast and no staff were there to show us to our table or take our order. I went to the reception desk to ask if anyone was on duty as we had waited so long.
There was a choice of cereals or fruit to start but no dishes, again another wait for the waitress to get them, and the cooked breakfast could have been better.
We had asked for the garden room and was told that it was free for us to have but on booking in it had been given to another couple, not the best of starts.
A music festival took place in the afternoon which was enjoyable except that it was held in the covered courtyard and people were allowed to smoke, there was not the 75% ventilation which is the requirement needed for smoking, just the cover which had space round it and one opening.
We had our evening meal in the bar and although roast dinners were advertised there were none left but what we did have was acceptable.
We will visit again as the new management have a mountain to climb to bring it up to the standard of their other hotels but they will get there as they are so keen.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had two evening meals with our family during a recent stay at Dunster as well as a couple of separate evenings where we went for a drink. In terms of drinks, the arms offers a good selection with some interesting local Exmoor / Somerset ales. Prices are very competitive for drinks for the area. The atmosphere in the bar is warm and welcoming and the bar staff were helpful and courteous. The 'secret' garden is lovely in the sunshine and offered a great view of the castle although a bit exposed when it was a gusty - a few people had broken glasses as a result!
We didn't like the family room that we were ushered into with our three children (9,11 and 15). It felt quite dingy and unwelcoming compared to the rest of the bar and lounge area, and children are not allowed in the bar although they are in the lounge for meals. Curry night on a Tuesday is to be recommended and good value. We found the rest of the menu to be ok if a little pricey for what you get in terms of both quantity and quality - a bit of a mixed bag with varying degrees of preference from the members of our group. Concierge was very helpful during our enquiry about the rooms and possibly staying at some point in the near future. Overheard a couple of locals chatting and generally praising the recent change of ownership which is a good sign.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Took my family, three rooms, to the hotel fow a weekend in July. Was faultless, staff top quality, nothing too much for them. Great rooms, good food. Was a hot weekend and staff laid tables indoors and out to give my party a choice. Breakfast freshly cooked, great coffee.

for us to choose

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Becca W, Owner at The Luttrell Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review. We are growing and learning and positive feedback makes all the difference. The alfresco dinning is a feature we are building on during the summer. You can have restaurant breakfast and dinner in the garden and the bar. Thanks for the plug about the coffee it's from a company that is passionate about coffee called Origin Coffee. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

It was a few years ago that I last visited the Luttrell Arms in the pleasing village of Dunster. My last visit was most unremarkable. Fortunately for this lovely hotel, it is under new management. I visited for a light lunch last week with friends, and the welcome was enthusiastic but not OTT, very friendly, smiling young staff who went out of their way to please. The food was good and service quick and efficient, served in the very pleasant gardens. A nice change from my last visit, Will return

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank brutontraveller

Thank you for your kind reply and we are delighted you enjoyed yourselves. If ever something is wrong at the Luttrell Arms please do let us know! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.