All reviews car park new owners high street sunday roast narrow entrance function room evening meal and breakfast dog friendly room this family run hotel spent one night here mulled cider great central location prices are very reasonable main building owners john wing mirrors staff attentive
Reviewed September 6, 2018

Booked into the Castle on the basis of Trip Advisor reviews and because my first choice was booked out.

What can I say? Well this is not your typical rural pub accommodation experience. For a start, sitting down for a weekday lunch I was disappointed to hear that they didn’t serve “plated meals” and I would have to make do with sandwiches or baguettes. There was the tapas option later in the day.

A huge plus is the car park although squeezing the car through the entrance (yeah well I am a lousy driver at the best of times and I had only been behind the wheel of the hire car for three days) was interesting. I was comforted by the sight of one of the hotel team arriving at the start of the day and the lady in question was also very careful not the take the wing mirrors off the vehicle, yes, it’s that snug.

Hmm, well this is definitely down to this reviewers paradigms about what staying in an English country pub is all about. It’s about torturous staircases (the Castles ’s staircase is an elegant and gentle climb), gurgling plumbing (nery a glug from the taps or shower) and general shabby-elegance. A huge amount of effort has gone into creating a different feel and atmosphere in this place. I cannot fault the quality of this establishment at all. For example, the bathroom was excellent with a stunning, walk in shower. It’s just that, well, it’s not a country pub. However, that is not where the castle’s aspirations are aimed.

Take the bar, for instance. Very contemporarily designed and decorated and I defy anybody to sample the whole Gin menu without going into a coma, where did you find all those varieties? Notwithstanding, like I said, this little gem of a place made me feel slightly uncomfortable, sitting as it does under the glowering shadow of the magnificent pile that is the castle.

If you stay at the castle, be prepared to have your paradigms cast aside and experience something unique at the gate to Exmoor. Not for this reviewer but then, not everybody is a reactionary old blowhard.

Well done team and thank you for making my stay a comfortable, well organised experience and I wish you well.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2018

Staying in Dunster we fancied a change from our own hotel food and decided on a tapas evening at the Dunster Castle Hotel. A lovely setting to eat, the hotel has been extensively upgraded since we last visited a couple of years back. The lady serving us was absolutely superb, friendly, efficient and very helpful. We shared three delicious tapas dishes, a great alternative to the usual pub grub found in most touristic destinations. Highly Recommended for a more interesting evening out!

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Overnight stay at this beautiful village. Chose the Dunster Castle Hotel after some deliberation and we weren't disappointed. Nicely done out with some up to date industrial touches. Decor a bit of a mismatch style but it really worked. Spotlessly clean throughout. HUGE bed - and really comfortable. Good breakfast with decent choice. Car park at rear a bonus in this village - tight entrance but our car is a larger one and we managed ok. Didn't eat there in the evening but the food looked good and the bar area was really pleasant for a drink in the evening.
Overall a great stay and would go again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Last Thursday to celebrate a friends birthday having heard that the castle had been refurbished and being fans of tapas we thought we would give it a try for dinner.
We were met by a very pleasant waitress who promptly showed us to our table but from then on every thing went down hill.
The waitress had no idea what ales they had or soft drinks for our designated driver. The food was bland and poor quality had obviously come out of the freezer and into the microwave and if this is not the case then there needs to be words with the chef. Having been told by the person who took our order if we hadn't ordered enough tapas we could always have a pudding, when we asked to see the sweet menu we were told there wasn't one and no deserts were being served. We were also very surprised to find the real ale served lce cold. Clearly the money has been spent on the decor without any thought to the food and drink being served. Such a shame as we live locally and always like to support local businesses especially through the winter months. Sorry chap's we won't be back.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher W
Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I stayed here with my husband and baby girl for one night.
It has a contemporary feel - beautiful decor.
We were given a very warm welcome on arrival by the lovely owners who clearly work very hard.
Very relaxing atmosphere. Breakfast was spot on, delicious. All in all we would totally recommend it! It was a great find!

Another plus point - right in the heart of Dunster right beside the castle (as you might expect)

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family