“Great taste of Thai in Cheddar” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lao Thai Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 44 Restaurants in Cheddar
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Probably the only Lao restaurant in Britain offering tasty and fresh Lao cooking and Thai cuisine.The dishes are all authentic Lao and Issan, northern Thai, and offer a mixtures of tastes, textures, spices and colours. These include some of the most popular Lao and Thai dishes with some favourites of those who've travelled around the Far East. The dishes are homemade and individually cooked to order to reflect the customer's preferences. This does take time but ensures great tastes and therefore is appropriate for those not in a rush - Lao speed. Text reservations to mobile number on website.Up to date opening hours are on the website.
London, United Kingdom
“Great taste of Thai in Cheddar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great Thai food , wonderful service. If you are vegetarian, then you would get many options here. We really enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant, Starters came with 3 portions, but were a group of 4. So waiter made us 4 portions instead. That was really thoughtful!
all and all, very good experience.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Rusty78

London, England, United Kingdom
“Very tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a lovely meal at Lao Thai, the food was fresh and very tasty. We would recommend the mixed starter. We definitely return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sian_W_07
Wedmore
“‘Heaven on Earth’”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our first experience of Lao food was a Lao princess preparing and cooking food for us here at Nut Tree Farm many years ago. Then my second time was in a restaurant in Phoenix Arizona (there is a link, but story too long to tell here), and now at the Lao Thai Restaurant in Cheddar. Gosh, what a meal! We had the Ped Op Lat Som (Lao) and the Chup Peang Tod (Thai) for starters – the aromas and tastes were so wonderful.

Then for the main course the Pad Mark Moung Sot and the Chu-Chi Pla Salmon (both Lao) – sublime subtle flavours with gentle spicy undercurrents and exquisite presentations. And then the sweet - Nam Wan Luangprabang, which is a mix of taro, tapioca and banana palm nut in coconut milk. Ok, not so exiting to look at, but the flavours in the dish were just ‘’‘heaven’’’.

There is a selection of four beers, do please try the BeerLao, rice based, the best oriental beer I have ever tasted. The wine list is comprehensive. There is an extensive selection of Lao and Thai dishes, on the menu and Hong the Lao chef is happy to modify dishes to suit taste, hotness (or not) and allergy needs, as we were assured all dishes are cooked fresh to order. Our choice of dishes were to go for subtly, but there are dishes on the menu for those who want hotter spicy creations.

We weren’t the only ones enjoying the food, as we could hear exclamations of delight from the next table to us. It was clear that one of the party was well versed in Thai cuisine as frequent traveller to Thailand. It was a cold cold evening, where we were enjoying a wonderful meal in a small invitingly warm, clean restaurant with attentive warm service. We couldn’t ask for more. We will be recommending the Lao Thai to our B & B guests. The only problem we have is there isn’t a button to press to make it 10 out of 5!!!

Oh, and I have just remembered we previously had take away from Lao Thai, which was equally dreamy! And so we talked frequently about the day we would 'eat in'. Not easy to fit in when running a B & B. We will be back.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Melvyn F
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Intimate restaurant, great food and good service. Well worth a visit. The food is fresh, delicious and wholesome and although it doesn't look like much from the outside, it is a special restaurant.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank Brodders91
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Never again,unless the previous management take over!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have previously reviewed this place, but think it may have been moved??

We had a week away at the beginning of the year, and visited all of our usual places in Cheddar. I was informed that this restaurant had been taken over by new people, since our last visit. Vegetarians are usually ok in a Thai restaurant, as they can eat without too much trouble, and with a reasonably varied menu. Not in this place. It was dead when we walked in, with one other couple. Worrying. We then ordered a drink and looked through the 'new' menu,

I found a couple of bits which would make a 'meal' for me, ordered, and waited. Hubby had soup, which was ok, nothing special. His spring rolls came out 'greasy' and his curry was 'alright', which for David is NOT a good sign, as he 'loves' Thai food! Then it was my turn, the food which came out was really greasy, not inedible, but the fat needed changing. At this point, we were on our fifth drink as the courses had taken so long! I filled up on the salad garnish with my starter's (as i'd had these instead of a main) and thank dog I did! Finished the meal, and left.

At 12.30am, i'm in my holiday home in Cheddar, throwing my guts up, only had cereal for breakfast, so NO it wasn't that! I was absolutely gutted, I love Thai food, but I would never eat here again. Thai is highly priced anyway, but this place is overpriced for the standard of service, and now, limited menu, and also for the small portions. Over the years of coming to Cheddar, some three/four times per year, we have eaten here at least TWICE a week, on our holiday's, and never been ill, not once. Maybe we were unlucky? Who knows, I won't be taking my chances again.

• Visited February 2013