“Birthday treat”

The Bath Priory Restaurant
Ranked #113 of 567 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: At the heart of the hotel is our celebrated Michelin-starred restaurant, with magnificent views across the hotel’s award-winning gardens. Our menu offers a memorable culinary journey with a focus on fresh local produce, flavour and balance to create exciting, modern British dishes epitomising the best seasonal dining. Complemented by an exemplary wine cellar and exceptional insight from our Head Sommelier we ensure every detail of your dining experience is perfectly paired. Join us for lunch, dinner or afternoon tea or sample lighter bites in The Pantry.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was lucky enough to be taken to the Bath Priory as my birthday treat back in October and it was certainly a treat.
I have a lactose intolerance and the staff and chef were so knowledgeable and flexible without compromising the deliciousness of the food for me, I was extremely impressed. Luckily I have a small tolerance for lactose, otherwise I would not have been able to have my delicious terrine starter, or the banana souffle dessert (which was a little lacking in flavour but beautifully cooked and presented with flair).
Service was fantastic although we did feel a little watched at times.
After the meal we enjoyed Petit fours in the lounge which were FANTASTIC. Even adding a 'Happy Birthday' on the plate.

I wish I could say I'd be going back but unfortunately it was much too expensive, especially when we've spent around half the money on equally delicious meals elsewhere.

• Visited October 2013

“Abandoned in Bath”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Rather a bland dining room with some tables enjoying a view to the attractive gardens. Luckily we had a view. There is considerable room for improvement in the decor as the room certainly has potential .
The food was without doubt of Michelin one star standard but there was a considerable time delay between courses despite the fact that there were only three other tables for lunch. The waiting time was much in excess of the many Michelin star restaurants we have been to in London and from this experience I would not want a meal here when it is busy. Good food takes time but this was unacceptable. There was even a long wait for the coffee and petit fours.
The service was friendly but I found it bizarre that at times the staff abandoned the diners in the dining room for periods of up to ten minutes at a time leaving glasses unfilled. Unfortunately, all of the above took away from the meal itself which was disappointing, as we all enjoyed our meal. Despite the food being Michelin class it would be at the lower end compared to others I have reviewed.
Will we come back? Probably not.

• Visited February 2014
UK
“Delicious but forgot Birthday arrangements.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Sunday set lunch for my husbands 40th. Arrived and sat in the library with a drink and delicious canapés. We perused the menu and ordered our choices before being taken through to the dining room. We had a gorgeous cauliflower velouté before or starters arrived. Salmon and Ling were both faultless, roast beef for mains, again delicious, but the roasties did taste like they had been kept warm for a while. At the time of booking I emailed that it was my husbands birthday, and I also called to check they were aware, and I was told a message would be written on his dessert plate. Sadly this did not happen, but the cheese and the apple soufflé were really nice. Petit fours followed which were more like another full dessert, but again no birthday message. The waiting staff were attentive, knowledgeable and polite, I was happy with the service. In summary, really great experience but just disappointed they forgot the birthday I checked twice about.

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went to the restaurant with a group of friends and booked months in advance. We ended up feeling forgotten by the staff, wine and water left unpoured, dishes took forever to be served. When we asked for the cheese trolley at the end we were told it had already been packed away and so we couldn't. For a Michelin starred restaurant it really was very very poor service. When we asked that the service charge be taken off our bill the Manager was actually very good about it and apologised for the standard we'd received. This attitude did go some way to rectifying my opinion of The Priory.

• Visited December 2013
uk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really disappointed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Call and reserved a table for dinner, was told the set menu was running at £37 per head, I thought this was very reasonable. After a 30 minute taxi journey, as I walked through the door the first thing to be said was we where quoted an incorrect price on the phone, it was infact £90 per head just for food, we promptly left, very disappointing service from such a well regarded establishment.

1 Thank spencergod
Bathpriory, General Manager at The Bath Priory Restaurant, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear spencergod

My sincerest apologies for the miss communication from my team regarding your reservation at The Bath Priory. I hold my hands up to our mistake and made no excuses for our grave error in miss informing you of our prices and then the subsequent way in which we informed you on the night your arrived. I also appreciate the offer to honour the price first discussed on the night was little to late, and that the moment and experience had past for you and your partner.

Although I cannot turn back time, I would very much like it if you were to contact me directly at the hotel, so I can personally pass on my apologies and discuss how we may rebuild a relationship with you.

yours sincerely,