“Stunning food.”

The Bath Priory Restaurant
Ranked #90 of 616 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: At the heart of the hotel is our celebrated 3 AA Rosette restaurant, with magnificent views across the hotel’s award-winning gardens. Our menu offers a memorable culinary journey with a focus on fresh local produce, flavour and balance to create exciting, modern French dishes epitomising the best seasonal dining. Complemented by an exemplary wine cellar and exceptional insight from our Head Sommelier we ensure every detail of your dining experience is perfectly paired. Join us for lunch, dinner or afternoon tea or sample lighter bites in The Pantry.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Chef Sam Moody has recently earned a Michelin star for his food at The Bath Priory and it shows. From the Amuse Bouche to the Petit Fours our taste buds were treated to an explosion of flavours. There are various menu options The Surprise Menu @ £100 where you are left to the chef to decide what you have, a taster menu £80 I think. We went for the a la carte @ £75 a head. we both had the same starters and mains: Crispy Brixham monkfish with spiced tomato and curry mayonnaise followed by Slow cooked loin of Wiltshire lamb, minted jersey royals, roast sweetbread, tapenade jus. I finished with Iced peanut parfait (10 out of 10) and my wife the theatre of the cheese trolley with as fine a selection as I have seen. (There is an option to have cheese and biscuits as a fourth course for an extra £12). All the food was excellent - special mention for the lamb which was pink inside but with a nice crisp outer 'skin'.

Service - all the staff we encountered were friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My only (slight) criticism is to echo a comment on a previous review saying the attention is just a little slow at times. We sat in the drawing room ahead of our meal and would quite happily have had a second drink there if we had been asked / if anyone had popped in to ensure we were OK.

All in all though a special night.

1  Thank Jez D

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is by necessity a review of two parts, that of the lactose intolerant vegetarian (my wife) and that of the red-blooded meat eater (me).
I’ll leave the review of the hotel for a separate article and stick to the restaurant.
We arrived for dinner and were shown into a drawing room/lounge for aperitifs the room was nicely appointed with lots of different spaces for different groups. The waiter was very pleasant but somewhat slow in taking our drinks order. The selection aperitifs arrived, there was a nicely presented variety with a lactose free substitution for one of the options for my wife, but sadly the meat option was still present, no problem as a substitution was rapidly made.
We made our meal and wine selections from the menu, again my wife had to ask for a vegetarian menu. The wine list was expensive and pricey – we went for a Chablis at £55/bottle. The menu had three sections, the taster at £100/person or the slightly more moderate a la carte type selections.
Quite a long delay ensued before we were shown to our table, the hunger pangs were beginning to grow and further drinks were not offered.
When we were shown to our table initial service was prompt and courteous in fact, service throughout was very friendly just somewhat slow.
As the non-vegetarian, I found all of the tastes and quality of the different courses to be excellent, the starter was very small and subtle and I’m not going to attempt to describe it as my lack of ability will do no service at all. My main course was a fabulous piece of beef that was cooked to perfection (I favour rare meat) with a small selection of vegetables, with the addition of other fabulous flavours – top marks.
My wife on the other hand found the starter to be insipid and uninspiring - ‘ a small onion bhaji in a bowl of luke warm soup’ was her description. Her main course was a tagliatelle and mushroom dish which was incredibly salty and had to be returned to the kitchen. My wife said that the replacement was excellent but I was faced with the ‘do I send my food away to be kept warm’ or ‘do I rudely carry on eating’ we decided that I should carry on eating rather than risk the food being spoiled however, of course by the time my wifes main arrived I had finished.
We retired back to the lounge for coffee and a selection of petit fours; I had a nice single-malt as well.
On retiring to our rooms I was pleasantly full, my wife was still hungry!
I realise the review probably sounds very critical however as someone who is married to a vegetarian I spend that many of our dining experiences worrying about the availability of a selection good meal choices for my wife. This restaurant had a fine menu, but let themselves down in my eyes on the quality of their delivery to all guests not just the non-vegetarian.
When you are paying £60 each for a main course you expect the absolute best.

Overall we had a really nice stay in the hotel and a wonderful evening in the restaurant
Would I go back – definitely, but not without my wife!
Would my wife go back – the Jury is still out……

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food is excellent very well cooked and presented and the staff are knowledgeable well trained and inobtrusively attentive
We ate in the smaller restaurant where the tables are nicely set apart and well sized
Wine list is very extensive with a knowledgeable wine waiter and prices are on the whole fair
Again I would recommend this restaurant to all and my recommendation would be to match the visit to the restaurant with a stay at the hotel I am sure you will not be disappointed

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Visited for our wedding anniversary and had lunch on our way to spending the weekend in Bath. Had the three set menu which we found to be excellent value. Food was incredible and service amazing. Would definetly visit again if visiting Bath. The setting is beautiful as the priory is set in stunning grounds.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

A lot of pomp and circumstance, but a terrific meal with good service and nice food. It has one michelin star (recent) and has the service to match. It starts with a small appetiser on the outdoor deck (fantastic) with a drink, and then you move inside for your lunch.

We had a 3 course lunch for about 35 pounds which was terrific value. The meals were nicely done.

I would say that the food is quite small in portion size, but you expect that with a restaurant of this type.

The decor is traditional.

You need to wear pants +/- jacket to eat here.

I had a sweet bread entreee and a beef main. It was above average in quality. My Rhubarb souffle was a highlight.

Make sure you book in advance.

(Recent local reviews: Sotto Sotto, Bath)