“Wildly romantic”

The Bath Priory Restaurant
Ranked #122 of 570 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: At the heart of the hotel is our celebrated Michelin-starred restaurant, with magnificent views across the hotel’s award-winning gardens. Our menu offers a memorable culinary journey with a focus on fresh local produce, flavour and balance to create exciting, modern British dishes epitomising the best seasonal dining. Complemented by an exemplary wine cellar and exceptional insight from our Head Sommelier we ensure every detail of your dining experience is perfectly paired. Join us for lunch, dinner or afternoon tea or sample lighter bites in The Pantry.
“Wildly romantic”
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Having eaten at some rather fine Michelin star establishments I am so pleased to recommend the Bath Priory. Absolutely amazing! Having received such a warm welcome in from the cold, we enjoyed an aperitif in the lounge before sitting up. Not one throught the meal or our visit were we rushed. Our glasses remained full of wine and water and the staff were all very attentive. Such talented cooking. Combining flavours to delight the taste buds. We had a lunch menu and were simply amazed at the combination of flavours to delight our taste buds. Such good quality and value for money. Do try the Carmenara red wine. A must visit in Bath for a truly special occasion!

1 Thank MoniqueandAnthony

Naestved, Denmark
“Worth a small detour or taxi ride from centre of Bath”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The location is a little odd but this is more than made up by the excellent food, service and ambience created within the hotel and restaurant. Service is attentive without being over the top, the food is fantastic, if you like desserts try the blood orange souffle which is a little bit of theatre in itself..........

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Julian S
London, United Kingdom
“Not for vegetarians”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

See the other reviews for the charm of the lovely surroundings, the studied choreography of the service etc. All true. Very pretty.
On arrival we were taken to a elegant drawing room, given menus and instructed to order our full meal, including desert, before we could go into the dining room. We indicated that we would prefer to order our desert after the meal. This visibly annoyed the waiter who responded by grimly warning that “as you are a party of ten” (clearly a reproach) this would mean a long wait after our main course. We stood our ground – a hotel with this much pretension ought to be able to take a party of ten in its stride, but it left a bit of an atmosphere.
Vegetarians had only one option for starter and main. The salad billed with the vegetarian starter was something I don’t like, so I asked for a substitute salad item. This was charmlessly refused as “quite impossible”, leaving me in no doubt that I’d been impertinent to ask.
The only vegetarian main was mushroom risotto - rather wet, completely beige and apparently dropped onto the plate from some height, before being topped off with an oozy glob of wet albumen(?) bubbles. I can’t imagine what the chef intended here, but the visual effect was stomach-churning and having worked out what it reminded me of, there was no way I could bring myself to put it in my mouth. So not a great meal from my point of view.
My young son chose a traditional-sounding Sunday lunch of “slow-roasted” meat – I think the “slow roasting” must have been verbal rather than thermal, since the meat arrived red-raw all the way through. I recognise that this is fashionable, but a less self-absorbed restaurant might have thought to forewarn a very young diner that the dead animal for his dinner would still be bleeding. Son didn’t eat either.
We cheerfully comforted ourselves with the truly delicious rolls, enjoyed the excellent family company and hoped that our hostess wouldn’t notice that she was paying £50 a head for two of her guests to dine on bread and butter.
To be fair, the other members of our party declared the tiny helpings of self-consciously fancy food to be “absolutely exquisite”, which is presumably the response for which the chef is aiming, and one of the party cheerfully ate my little risotto as well as her own, so it can't have been so off putting to everyone as it was to me.
We weren't hurried at all, though the waiter was right that desert would take some waiting for. After desert, a pleasant coffee with some odd-tasting petit-fours in another elegant drawing room. By the time we left, others were finishing tea. Tea looked wonderful. Wish I'd been taken for tea instead.
When I got home I was still feeling queasy from the memory of the globby bubbles on the risotto - I felt that the unfortunate visual potential of the meal must be something that hadn’t occurred to the chef, and therefore emailed him to point out, so he could avoid in future. He is clearly a very important and busy man and neither he nor any of his secretaries has found time to reply.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Top quality and amazing food!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Came here for the taster menu for a friends birthday meal. We had a great afternoon! The champagne cocktails we had when we first arrived were great and just how they should be served. The food courses were all devine and all dishes cooked to preferction. The presentation of all the dishes looked stunning (too good to demolish and eat). All the ingredients used were fresh and of the best top quality. Great wine list too. Had a really great afternoon. Thanks to you all.

1 Thank Bex170
Winchester, United Kingdom
“40th birthday”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The building is stunning and the lounge beautiful, wall to wall oil paintings, build in lovely bath stone. The restaurant wasn't quite as pretty though and felt very much like a function room. Food was great but very similar to Gidleigh Park, where we had gone the weekend before even down to the breads being exactly the same. Would go again but I personally think it would be best enjoyed on a beautiful summers day for lunch so you can really enjoy the building itself.

Visited March 2013