“Great food but again quite expensive”
Review of Thai Balcony

Thai Balcony
Ranked #51 of 575 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great food but again quite expensive”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went with friends for a lovely Saturday meal at the Thai Balcony. The food I would say has improved since last time I went- for starter I had the dumplings which were incredibly delicious. One of my friends had a soup which was delicious too. For main I had a mixed seafood stirred fried in the specials sections. Both courses were absolutely scrumptious and not to mention the thai iced tea I had was to die for.

However I must say that it wasn't cheap- the main course itself with rice is £20 (however I think if you pay with cash you get a 5% discount and if you go 6-8pm Sun-Thurs you get a 10% discount). The setting and atmosphere in the restaurant is as nice as before.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Overpriced.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Mmm, i have quite low expectations when dining out but sometimes you have to throw yourselves at the mercy of so called restaurants just to socialise its always a bonus if the food and restaurant turnd out ok! Unfortunately as all too often the thai balcony didnt provide a bonus. We all shelled out 8.50 a head for the thai platter starter which actually reminded me of that kerry katona advert for iceland. The mains were edible but the starter set me up for an average experience. we had a good night with our friends despite the grumpy waitress who either didnt want to be there ot didnt want us to be there. it was almost worth the money for the laugh we had about how much money we were handing over for this iceland stuff! i wont be returning but kinda glad i gave it a go so i could tell others not to bother.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank g p
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Touristy rushed and poor value”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Three of us went to this restaurant on sat night for a birthday celebration, I had advance warned them of this. On booking 3 days prior to this, I was told that the sitting was 19.00 to 20.30. On arrival, very rushed service, just get prop,e in and out. The starter we had was a platter at 8 pounds fifty each, we thought we could share between 2 people, but no we had 4 pieces each, sesame toast, spring roll etc, very poor value for money. I then ordered the green curry with chicken , got it with prawns had to wait until they brought this, then the rice,was really sticky and starchy, had to send back, so overall very poor meal, poor value for money, would not eat here again, not relaxing, like wonk Kees in leister square london, at least they make no pretensions, food served eaten and punters out. Quickly for the next lot.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Claregalwaygirl
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked a table for 7.30pm but arrived early. This wasn't a problem but as we wanted to sit outside on the balcony we waited. They didn't offer us a drink, so we had to ask. About 10 minutes later our table on the balcony was ready and we settled down. The atmosphere was lovely and it was a good spot to be people watching! The waitress took our order, quite matter of fact, and our food came quite quickly. We have eaten Thai food many times before and I have to say it did not blow us away. My husband has been to Thailand and read the reviews on Trip Advisor to have the Tiger steak, but he was not impressed. I ordered fish cakes which had the texture of rubber. After we had finished our meal, the waitress cleared our table and that was the last time we saw her or anyone for about 25 minutes. I had had enough and went to find the manager. When I explained we have not been offered another drink, the desert menu, nothing, he started arguing with me! this was in front of other diners as well. We paid the bill and left. Such a shame as the location of this restaurant is unique, but the quality of the food and the service let us down. I would not go back to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank bronzedgoddess0
“Within three minutes we knew this was not for us...”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We had booked in advance with a very nice thai man at the restaurant. Speaking (poor) thai, I was looking forward to the meal as I had laughed with the staff when I dropped in to make the booking (for a balcony table) the previous day.

After arriving we left within five minutes because there was no welcome, no engagement with us, we were slotted in to a table, it felt utterly like a factory and the waitress had a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Everyone was beautifully dressed, tho'...

Seriously, we never walk out of places, but this lack of any human contact, let alone any sense of the land of the smiles, being unceremoniously shoved next to a very loud water fountain not spoken to, and the incongruity of a value menu advertised outside and an expensive menu inside led us to doubt what was to come.

Sorry - a touch of a mismatch between what what anyone would expect from a thai restaurant and what we experienced within 5 minutes was enough for us to not even stay.

Maybe the food is fantastic and we left way too early, but we'll have to live with that as a possibility...

Visited June 2013