Ashgrove Guest House
$332
$142
$138
Agoda.com
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
$88
  • Breakfast included
Harington's City Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
$117
  • Breakfast included
The Bath Priory(Bath)
$232
Travelocity
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 27, 2012

If you are looking for 5 star accommodation for £65 a night in Bath then you are having a laugh and have no right to complain if staying here, but if you are looking for somewhere pleasant to stay in Bath without being ripped off then I recommend Ashgrove.
We spent 2 nights at Ashgrove.
We got lost trying to find it and the owner was very helpful on the phone giving us directions. We were greeted by the manager and a man who helps out, both were very friendly and helpful.
We were given a parking permit and did have to park away from the guesthouse but this is not a problem, and where we parked in Henrietta Gardens our car was perfectly safe and was only 2 minutes around the corner from guesthouse.
It is a nice 10/15 minute walk into the the centre of Bath.
The room, although not large was most adequate for our needs, it was tastefully decorated, had a bed and shower (how long does one need to spend in a room when there is so much to see in Bath). Yes the curtain does need fixing in the room we were in and also the flush button on the toilet, but the curtains did close and the toilet did flush, the shower room was tiny but was ok. The room looked out onto the back gardens and was very quite.
Breakfast is only between 8am and 9am, but at least it makes you get up and out and about early.
The breakfast is good, I myself did not want cooked breakfast, but my husband did and said it was good. There are cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts, choice of cooked breakfast, toast, jam and marmalade. My only gripe is it would have been nice to have been be offered brown bread and more than one small cup of coffee. But overall very good.
Considering many B&B's in Bath we looked at want minimum £70 a night and getting much higher we were very pleased with Ashgrove. If you want reception areas, tableclothes and all the other trimmings people have complained about then I suggest you book into an expensive hotel.
Many thanks for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We did not choose a room, but I suggest asking for a back room when booking as B&B is on a very busy road, although the dining room is at the front of the house and we could not hear traffic but that might be the fact that classical music is played is the dining room at breakfast.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank craggles
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Read the other comments and they are mostly true but for £65 per night per room over New Year in an expensive city like Bath, do you really expect a "tablecoat" on the breakfast tables!! Come on, get a life and be realistic!
First of all the welcome, yes it is a little odd. The property is only manned by the owner(s) in the morning at breakfast upto however long it takes to clean, tidy and do the room changes. Outside of this time, the man who lives in the basement flat will let you in and do the basics. Once again, for the price, what do reviewers expect - a reception that is manned 24 hours a day! The old chap was most helpful and sorted us out.
A hint here - if you are offered a choice of rooms, take one as high as possible at the back of the property. This avoids the noise from the road at the front and from downstairs. Also check the shower, as in room 1 it was a inconsistent temperature dribble!

Not sure how you will follow the next hint, it involves parking. The Ashgrove has a number of permits for free parking in the neighbouring streets. Despite displaying mine correctly, I found a parking ticket on my car the following morning. The owner Tracey, was also surprised by this. On appeal, I found that the permit had not been renewed by the Ashgrove and was invalid. The local authority though, cancelled the parking fine after I wrote to them with photos. Tracey offered to do this for me but its best to do it yourself as she hadn't been into the local office by the time I had wrote to them!

The owner was very helpful with a key-locked-in-room situation. Some of the bedroom doors need a turn of the key to lock them but others close on the latch. One of the other wedding guests locked themselves out. The helpful man "downstairs" rang Tracey, who popped over with the spare to resolve. Fortunantly we were all ready for heading out for the night and the time it took to resolve was not an issue but it might have been!!

Breakfast was lovely on both days. Full cooked one on the 31st Dec and a continental type on the 1st after Tracey kindly agreed to extend the check-out time and do a later breakfast with us all having been out to the early hours celebrating the wedding and New Year.
The normal time is quite restrictive (8am - 9am) and check-out 10am. Maybe worth considering this if you are planning a heavy night out!!

Overall the Ashgrove is great value for money in a very expensive city but it comes down to getting what you pay for. The bedrooms are adequate, the breakfast good but don't expect a fully manned reception, staff available 24-7 or "tablecoats"!!

Room Tip: Back of the property as high as possible up the four floors
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I booked into this B&B on a business trip, and my first impressions were that it was a very cute, clean and friendly place. My opinions soon changed however.

Firstly, when booking in, there is no reception area, which I personally thought was a little odd. The room I stayed in was clean and tidy. However, for 4 days, the bathroom wasn't cleaned and the bin wasn't emptied. For the full week I was there, fresh towels were never put in the room, despite putting them on the floor to indicate that they needed to be laundered.

I have to say that the breakfast facilities and the food are very good, although they should consider offering more in the way of cereal - not everyone likes cornflakes!!

The oddest thing about this place is the man who I took to be the owner or manager. A rather bedragled chap who more often than not, smelt like he had been in the pub a tad too long! He was my point of contact, simply because I believed that he worked there. I later found out that he was a guest who the owners have let deal with matters in their absence!!

On a positive note, the walk into Bath itself is a mere 6-7 mins away and a rather pleasant one at that. Henrietta Park is at the back of the B&B, which is lovely!

If you do stay at this place, be prepared to meet the man from the basement room - he does not run or own this place though!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2011

myself and my family stayed for 3 nights and loved it...... very clean and welcoming...... as for the negative comments from sazzy Sal well don't know whether they've got the right hotel. Owner was lovely never smelt smoke in or around the building if anything smelt of the lovely cooked breakfast you received in the morning.....Homely warm and welcoming definitely recommend anyone to stay there,

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I have stayed at the guest house a few times and never really thought much of it or its extremley rude owners but as its my company that books it and its very close to my work i dont complain......This time i am i had my children with me this time and never again will i go back i even had to take it upon myself to alert the police. Our family room backed on to the garden and i was amazed to see drug taking activities happening in broaday light with children in the building, first off i noticed an odd smoke smell and when looked out of the window i saw the owner and cleaner and owners wife in the garden smoking what looked like a joint and certainly smelt illegal!!!!!!! When i confronted the owner which was straight away as i went up to the kitchen and banged the door no answer i walked in knowing they were in the garden and again i was astounded to see white lines of powder on the side, the owner saw me and as i statred to explain what i had seen ,he went mental myself and children were told to leave there and then and to be truthfull we wouldnt have stayed a second minute.......DiSGUSTING>>>>>>SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN FOR ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES...........

Room Tip: dont stay there instead theres a lovly little hotr
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family