“Wonderful”

The Circus Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 570 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Small, busy, much admired, family-run restaurant; serving seasonal, locally sourced, freshly cooked food; charming and welcoming staff; sensible and honest prices. Set in a fine Georgian house in Bath's most beautiful position - between The Circus and The Royal Crescent. Voted number 4 in the United Kingdom by The Times "Twenty secret restaurants that foodies love". Bookings advised.
UK
“Wonderful”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Fantastic restaurant - we were staying at the Queensberry Hotel and this is just a couple of minutes' walk away. Every dish was delicious and well presented, and the service was excellent. A real treat!

Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Melbourne, Australia
“Just by chance”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Happened by this great little foodie on our return from visiting Royal Crescent. Excellent coffee and cake together with a good feel.

“Gorgeous fresh fish!”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I had lunch at the circus and despite their extremely tasty looking menu I opted for the 'fish of the day' and was delighted I did. Beautifully cooked fresh sea bass in a perfectly balanced sorrel, white wine and cream sauce accompanied by lovely fresh vegetables - delicious. I shall definitely be returning soon!

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Dinner”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We were lucky to get a last minute booking here as we walked through Bath. A compact but great menu with excellent salads, main courses and desserts! The first time we've gone three courses for a while. Interesting wine list and brilliant service topped off a wonderful evening.

Visited August 2014
Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
“A memorable meal but...”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Relaxing and comfortable setting with excellent service; not over attentive but responsive and helpful.

The ceviche of brill, a fish I’ve always loved but never eaten ‘uncooked’, was absolutely lovely: light, zingy sea fresh and of wonderful texture. 9/10

The main of Goat Curry was problematical. I’ve eaten goat curry in the Caribbean restaurants of The Black Country and at various places in India; this is my take on The Circus’s. The portion was huge, if anything over facing; it could have been ½ the size and I would have been satisfied. The curry seemed as though it had been cooked too quickly with the goat failing to achieve that juicy melt-in-the-mouth consistency and, whilst there was plenty of pure heat, the spicing lacked depth and subtlety of flavour. IMHO, a good period of marinating followed by a long, slow low-heat cook might have been better to really let the spices soak in and the meat tenderise. 6/10

Dessert of Summer Pudding with Geranium Scented Cream made with brioche. Maybe the best Summer Pudding I’ve ever had, packed with a variety of fruits and the brioche giving a really lovely smooth feel when eaten. The geranium scent came through at just the right level. 10/10

All in all, a memorable meal, but I wish I hadn’t chosen the Goat Curry. Sorry!

1 Thank Andrew M
eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
I do appreciate your feedback and will act upon it. We do marinate the goat for 3 days (it's the Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall recipe from his meat book) but I appreciate that each batch we make varies a bit and is dependent on quite a lot of factors so I'm really sorry that your batch did not live up to your expectations.
I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the meal and will, hopefully return to test us again. Thank you