“Still superb”

Ranked #9 of 598 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Small, busy, much admired, family-run restaurant; serving seasonal, locally sourced, freshly cooked food; charming and welcoming staff; sensible and honest prices. Set in a fine Georgian house in Bath's most beautiful position - between The Circus and The Royal Crescent. Voted number 4 in the United Kingdom by The Times "Twenty secret restaurants that foodies love". Bookings advised.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Another super meal at Circus. I had a delicious unusual starter of cauliflower, tahini and almonds, what a treat for a vegetarian instead of the ubiquitous goat's cheese tart. Service was as ever, exemplary. It was friendly and professional from the moment we entered and were greeted by a warm welcome from the maitre d' and it continued throughout the meal where we were looked after splendidly by Jessica. Our one problem was that the quantity of delicious food was extremely generous but Jessica offered to resolve this by providing us with a doggy bag.

eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it when our regulars and returning customers give us a pat on the back as consistency is the name of the game in the restaurant world and takes a lot of effort to achieve. Thank you for your positive feedback and encouragement.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

What can I say about this restaurant but WOW, we came to the restaurant to celebrate a Birthday and was recommended this restaurant and was told that you had to have the steak as it would be the best you ever had and I can honestly say that it was.

We arrived at the restaurant with a warm welcome and the person who showed us to our table who I would guess was the owner knew who the name of the table was booked under. We were shown to our table which was downstairs which was lovely and warm.

The waitress who took our order was very friendly and polite and had a great smile and liked to make sure that we were happy at all times. After we ordered the owner also came down to make sure we were ok and told him that we all loved the steak and he informed us that all the food at the restaurant is all sourced within the South West.

I had the crab salad and the steak and it was one of the nicest meals that I have ever had. We didn't have to wait to long for the food to arrive and we left the restaurant full but not to full.

I look forward to coming back to this restaurant again in the near future.

Thank you for your wonderful review. We're so glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Occasional visits to Bath are generally accompanied by a visit to Sotto Sotto, but we tried to book too late and found ourselves at the Circus as a result. It was a cloud with a silver lining because it was just about as good. The setting at SS takes some beating but The Circus was warm, friendly and generally inviting. The maitre d that night was great, good mix of humour and knowledge of his menu, attentive without being OTT. Food was great, the new menu for March had oodles of choice, and my wife who is more picky than me thought her warm salad with toasted cauli was the best thing she had eaten for a long time. The John Dory was just as good. The house wines were good and sensibly priced, and generally refilled right to the top! The question next time is.....Sotto Sotto or The Circus???

Only you can decide between us and Sotto Sotto! But I think we change our menu more often than they do and we have a more eclectic taste in food.... having said that we are very grateful that you came to us for a change! Thank you for your kind words and for coming to try us. We really appreciate it and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

On a trip to Bath to visit the Fashion Museum and Number 1 Royal Circus we found this restaurant so perfectly located half way between!

Friendly service and reasonable prices are an attraction as is the Fish of the Day, which was, in our case, hake with olive tapenade and baked chicory; delicious. Warning! The squid is a hearty helping and more than I could eat.

Thank you for your review and nice appraisal. We change our menu every month so there are now other fishy delights on the menu for when you next visit from Bristol.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I haven't eaten here for a few years, although I remember it being very good. I was not disappointed on my return. We were made to feel very welcome, with a friendly waitress who explained the dishes well and was clearly enthusiastic about them. My starter was the Zakuski (little Russian 'bites') and this was interesting and tasty. This was followed by a lovely rabbit pie, absolutely brimming with meat, in a delicious creamy sauce. My colleague had the artichoke soup with truffle oil, which he thoroughly enjoyed, followed by lovely pink calf's liver. The wine list is interesting and we shared a bottle of Crasto Douro, which was excellent and reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

Thank you very much for your kind words and for visiting us. We're so glad you enjoyed it and do come and see us again soon.