“a gem of a moroccan restaurant”
Review of Tagine Zhor

Tagine Zhor
Ranked #31 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tagine Zhor is an authentic Moroccan restaurant run by the Casablancan Moroccan born owner. He takes pride in his Fez cuisine because it is based on traditional recipes that have been passed down from his loving Fez born grandmother "zhor" to him. It is the only finest Moroccan restaurant in Bath and probably in the whole South West of England. The perfect place to experience real Moroccan food cooked and served in a distinctive and traditional manner together with genuine warm hospitality in absolute beautiful Moroccan surroundings. Most meals begin with the simple selection of hot and cold mezze which might include hommos, Olives and Baba Ghannouj served with flat bread. The Tagine may come next served with Cous Cous, rice or Bread. It is a stew made of lamb, Chicken, Fish, Beef, kofta and Basilla. A single plate of dessert will usually consist of baklawas . They are sweet pastries dripping in honey or dusted in icing sugar marks the end of the meal before fresh mint tea or Arabic coffee are served. Do not forget to take a seat on outdoor terrace and enjoy the Shisha pipe and its flavour of tobacco. Also pay a visit to our gem Bazaar Shop downstairs featuring beautiful and unique handmade Moroccan items "great idea for gifts"
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Great atmosphere, very friendly welcome, an efficient service and the food was wonderful. Only thing that was odd was its name !

1  Thank Rutzie
There are newer reviews for Tagine Zhor

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Was it a mistake to return for a second visit? That is the question we have been asking ourselves?

We had previously visted Cafe du Globe in 2012 and had a superb meal, one of the best we'd ever had at any establishment anywhere in the world. Given that experience it set the bar very hight for a return visit and we had high expectations. Sadly this time they did not quite hit the same mark. That said I would still recommend a visit for great authentic food.

We started with the mixed platter of meze which was super and very tasty . My wife had the Lamb tangine as a main which she was somewhat disappointed with and I had kebabs which were very tasty and generous.

We were booked in very early as they get very busy so that meant the atmosphere was slightly lacking but as we were going onto a show afterwards suited us. The service was slightly inattentive and I don't think they'd quite got into their rhythem that Friday night. Perhaps they are falling victim to their own success.

I would still recommend a visit, it is great value for money. You will need to book. I do hope they get back to the top of their game. A family restaurant competing against the chains and providing great food and service can only be a good thing in a world where everything is becoming corporate.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We came here for dinner and were really pleasantly surprised. The interior and food were both really authentic and the whole place had a great feeling about it. The food was fantastic and the service was great. My rum and coke was ridiculously over priced but other than that we had a great evening. If you go, be sure to visit the gift shop downstairs - that was a great little find! Well worth the trip :)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I walked into the restaurant at 8pm on a Monday evening and asked the waitress if I could book a table for 6 people in half an hour's time. Her answer was, "No." Seriously. No polite explanation, nothing. There were several tables of diners but there were also several tables of four that were free. I looked around the room and rephrased my question and asked could she put together a table for 6 people in about 30 minutes. Again, "No." When I looked shocked and offended, as some diners also looked a bit non-plussed as they listened to this exchange, she managed to say that she was far too busy to accommodate us. I must say at this point that this was not a language problem. We were both speaking perfect English. When I asked if she was seriously content to see me walk out the door and go elsewhere with my six diners, she said, "Yes, I don't have time for you." Shocking. If I were her manager I would be sure she had no job tomorrow. Bad manners, bad business and bad ambassador for guests in Bath. Terrible. How sad.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We went to the Cafe Du Globe last weekend after booking a night at the Abbey Hotel which is pretty much next door.

After looking around we decided to go to the Moroccan as we enjoy something a bit different and on entering the restaurant were pleased that it's decor made it feel very authentic (alas the piped music of the very Moroccan Michael Buble & co didn't add that final touch!).

We both had tagine (one lamb & one meatball). In fairness we both enjoyed our meals but were glad that we'd ordered an extra side of "Moroccan" bread (not sure how authentic that was as it tasted and looked like a normal bread roll with sesame seeds on) as the portion sizes left quite a bit to be desired.
On a better note, the Moroccan wine acted as a perfect accompaniment to the meal.
I'd say that if you get chance to do their set meal it will probably prove to be better value than going a la carte as for the price, it doesn't really represent good value for money.
We'd go again but would have to do the set menu.