“Brilliant food and brilliant value”
Review of Tagine Zhor

Tagine Zhor
Ranked #56 of 633 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tagine Zhor is an authentic Moroccan restaurant run by the Casablancan Moroccan born owner. He takes pride in his Fez cuisine because it is based on traditional recipes that have been passed down from his loving Fez born grandmother "zhor" to him. It is the only finest Moroccan restaurant in Bath and probably in the whole South West of England. The perfect place to experience real Moroccan food cooked and served in a distinctive and traditional manner together with genuine warm hospitality in absolute beautiful Moroccan surroundings. Most meals begin with the simple selection of hot and cold mezze which might include hommos, Olives and Baba Ghannouj served with flat bread. The Tagine may come next served with Cous Cous, rice or Bread. It is a stew made of lamb, Chicken, Fish, Beef, kofta and Basilla. A single plate of dessert will usually consist of baklawas . They are sweet pastries dripping in honey or dusted in icing sugar marks the end of the meal before fresh mint tea or Arabic coffee are served. Do not forget to take a seat on outdoor terrace and enjoy the Shisha pipe and its flavour of tobacco. Also pay a visit to our gem Bazaar Shop downstairs featuring beautiful and unique handmade Moroccan items "great idea for gifts"
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We went here for lunch when our favourite nearby restaurant was full. We are so glad we did. It is quite a quirky place. The building is old and the decor very typically N African. As you wend your way down a narrow staircase to the loos, you find a bazaar of beautiful moroccan artefacts for sale - jewellery, ceramics and leather poufs. The service in the restaurant was efficient and friendly. We both chose from the two course set lunch. Fantastic value at £10.95. We both had the meze to start. A plate of varied humus,cheese and veggie dishes served with warm pitta. Really tasty. To follow I had the couscous and vegetables and my husband had meatballs in tomato sauce. Both dishes were really good. If you know moroccan food, you will love this place. If you don't, give it a go - its really tasty, not more spicy than is comfortable and there are plenty of things you will recognise.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,320)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We really enjoyed the food and friendly service at this Moroccan restaurant. We stumbled across it after not quite filling up at a nearby restaurant, so we didn't eat much. However, their chicken fillo with cinnamon and powdered sugar was absolutely top notch and the desert was quite good. We enjoyed a glass of Moroccan red wine and called it a night. I would come back here often if I didn't live on the other side of the planet.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

A very hospitable host took a booking when we spotted this gem on a recent walk around Bath. We duly returned that evening and found the restaurant packed and vibrant. Good atmosphere and attentive staff, good wines and a really well constructed menu (slightly too large for the rather cramped tables!) was an indication of what we hoped would be a good evening. We were not disappointed. First tip: Book in advance.
We chose a hot meze with spicy chicken wings, sausage, minced 'pudding', mixed spring rolls and salad plus dips. Wow! Thank goodness we shared one starter and not the 'for two' sharing platter. Second tip: If unsure of portions ask the waiters they are really helpful. This was a delicious follow up to the chicken pea humus nibbles we selected while waiting! We next ordered a jug of water as the hot spices of the starter were dominating the fragrant spices which could also be readily tasted, and the fresh fish spring rolls and lamb spring rolls were so tasty. A fresh sprig of mint and parsley soon cleansed the palette ready for the main course. Apologies but I will struggle to spell the selection but it's at the bottom of the first page. I am not a foodie but I can tell a well prepared meal and this was crafted with care. A fresh salad garnish with olives and tomatoes in a side dish was delivered. Then a plate with a round pastry in the middle and a cinnamon and spice dusting plus fresh mint and cherry tomatoes art work meant I was now questioning what I had ordered. I needn't have worried. Breaking into the thin crust of this sweet pastry, tasting of almonds, pine nuts and cinnamon, I found tender chicken pieces tightly packed and a dish containing a savoury pickle just perfectly complimented the sweetness. This was an aromatic meal, unusual to me although I am not a regular eater of Moroccan food so others might not be so surprised, but quite a difference from the oomph of the starter in a very positive way. We then ordered Moroccan mint tea with baclavas, and again fortunately we shared the sweet! Portions here are generous. The tea was served with a flourish, dribbled from on high into a glass, and a decorative pewter teapot was left for each of us to have a go ourselves. Thoughtfully a pretty cosy doubled as a glove; the pot stayed hot and the tea got stronger with the mint eventually starting to dry our mouths out!
Tip three: Fresh mint tea can be addictive! We had to order some more lemon water to re-hydrate our tongues. To sum up, an atmospheric place, great staff, well prepared fresh food and reasonably priced (for Bath which in places is pretentious and expensive rather than authentic). A paradox I know considering the history of Bath to praise a Moroccan restaurant but Cafe du Globe is independent when many gastro pubs are now chains and there is a freshness about going into a place and not knowing the menu beforehand. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant while wandering the streets of Bath looking for a place to eat that seemed that it could handle the need for gluten-free meal. Our expectations were exceeded in every respect.

The person who served as our waiter (by his overall approach it seemed he was probably the owner or manager) work with us to identify the items on the menu that were suitable for someone who is gluten intolerant. Several of the menu items only had one ingredient that contained wheat, and he helpfully offered alternative ways of preparing the particular dish without wheat.

The quality of the meal was outstanding! The flavors were subtle and rich. The service was prompt and friendly. We would heartily recommend Cafe du Globe!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently had the pleasant experience of dining at Café Du Globe, Bath, England. The moment I entered the door I was greeted by Monika our server. She greeted us with a smile, she was very patient & explained the "Special" pricing before 6:30 PM & the choices on the menu. I had a wonderful Beef dish that was prepared with Ginger, Apricots, Raisins & was served in an individual Tagine along with a side rice (or couscous if desired)and Moroccan bread. The décor & atmosphere was great. The whole mission of the staff seemed to be about pleasing the customer and providing good food. There was no pressure to buy the most expensive dinner or wine in the house. The city of Bath has a lot of food options, I'm glad I tried this restaurant and would highly recommend it.