“Meal”
Review of The Hop Pole

The Hop Pole
Ranked #97 of 598 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Description: The Hop Pole is a comfortable, spacious and friendly pub serving good food and top-notch beer. During summer months and periods of fine weather, the garden comes into its own and is the perfect place for mellow afternoon quaffing.Situated opposite Victoria Park, The Hop Pole is welcoming to all, including well-behaved children and dogs alike. It is a must-visit for anyone who enjoys fine food accompanied by equally enjoyable cask ales, or wine from a selection designed to suit all tastes (and all pockets!).
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have visited this venue several times for evening meals from just two of us to family gatherings, most recently the 5th of April , The standard of service and the food was excellent. in spite of being busy.
The Wines on offer are very good and not overpriced.
In short - We could not fault it !!!

Mark T, General Manager at The Hop Pole, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Super stuff Roger - we're all really happy you enjoy popping by. Let's hope it's not too long before we see you again!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Fantastic pub with great food and excellent beer. The beer garden is a delight on sunny days and makes it very hard to leave especially after a hare or two... The staff are excellent and know their stuff when it comes to the beer, if you're not sure what to enjoy then a little taster is always offered. I can recommend Spa, Gem, Rare Hare, Golden Hare, Bounders........... its all good :) Eaten here many times for lunch, evening meals, Christmas dos and never had a bad meal.

Mark T, General Manager at The Hop Pole, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Your kind words are very much appreciated!

We do pride on ourselves in our service and are always willing to ensure you have the best time.

Already looking forward to the summer, we shall see you then!

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Really friendly and responsive service at this gastropub, including an impromptu Bath Ales tasting experience.

Really delicious food - much better quality than your average place. The portion sizes were below hopes however, so we ordered supplementary supplies.

Mark T, General Manager at The Hop Pole, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Many thanks for your kind words - glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience and we're pleased our service lived up to our own high standards.

We are sorry to hear about the portion sizes, however. We will soon be moving to our Spring Menu and we will be making it a focus to ensure no guest leaves hungry - something we're definitely not in the business of making a habit.

As you say, we always try our best to ensure our food is of the highest quality and will hopefully look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Ate here with my wife and friends for lunch on Good Friday. We had reserved a table in the bar because we had a dog with us. The Hop Pole is lovely inside, with a nice contemporary pub feel but still quite cosy and warm (it was freezing outside!). The staff were really friendly and attentive, bringing a high chair as soon as they saw how young our friend's little boy was and some water for the dog. Our drinks arrived really swiftly too and we didn't have to wait too long to order. We all went fairly traditional with two burgers, fish and chips and a macaroni cheese. All the dishes were finished to a very high standard with quality ingredients. I'd say the burger was one of the best burgers I've tasted, really very good indeed. My only regret was that we didn't go for starters as the whitebait looked fantastic. There was talk of having whitebait for dessert but we decided to be traditional and have proper puddings. We had a treacle tart, the rice pudding and an apple pie (I think that's what my friend had but now I'm not sure). Again all really good but the standout dish was definitely the treacle tart, it was delicious. They did make a small mistake with our desserts with one of them being wrong at the start but they quickly corrected their error and offered us coffees as an apology. We politely declined the coffees and it wasn't really a problem but it was so nice that they really cared about the mistake and wanted to try and make it up to us. This is how service should be. All in all a fantastic lunch we will definitely be going back.

1  Thank BennyRS
Mark T, General Manager at The Hop Pole, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your glowing review, Benny - it is really appreciated!

We're so glad you and the rest of your party enjoyed your time with us yesterday. As you said, we are intent on using only the best ingredients in order to give you as much value for your experience as possible.

Obviously, we would love to be 100% at all times, but when we do fall short or make a mistake, it has always been the utmost importance to us to make amends and ensure you're always well looked after.

Hopefully you can come back and try us again soon - we often include the whitebait on our 2 Courses for £10 Menu (Monday - Friday), so there's always a good reason to return!

Many thanks!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had a meal here on Friday evening as we were visiting my daughter who goes to Bath uni, my parents came too. It was a welcoming, warm and friendly pub. The waiters were 1st class- attentive, polite, funny & friendly & clearly enjoyed working there. We were not at all sure what the food was going to be like & expected standard pub food but it was much much better! I had fish & chips which I can't praise enough... Crispy tasty chips, light fluffy batter & very hot fresh fish that had obviously just been cooked- Not to mention the homemade tartare sauce & mushy peas yum yum! My daughter had beef cheeks ( unusual) which she loved & the pork pie, beef & ale pie and steak burgers were very good too! We were all more than happy with our food & puddings which were beautifully presented and all very well thought out- the food here is definitely way above the usual boring pub grub & better than most restaurants really -the prices are good value too. Yes I recommend this place!

1  Thank Beck A
Mark T, General Manager at The Hop Pole, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a glowing review, Beck! I'm delighted you and the rest of your family enjoyed your time here at The Hop Pole. I know I may be biased, but I do feel our Fish & Chips are very hard to beat - glad you liked it!

Hopefully it won't be too long before we see you guys again! Many thanks.