“Nice meal in Bath”
Review of King William

King William
Ranked #78 of 571 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: When the King William restaurant in Bath was converted from the knackered pub it used to be, it became it gastronomic hotspot for Bath-ites who adore the excellent food and relaxed setting. The ground floor is a pub, with the fine dining room upstairs, all now eclectically kitted out with in shades of mauve with antiques, chandeliers and daily blackboard specials. Seasonal, free-range, organic and local sum up the provenance perfectly, for dishes like fried squid with fennel, ruby chard and green sauce and main of fantastic braised lamb for two with herb broth, mash and local greens. Superb small-producer beers and ales and a blistering wine list crown King William a top restaurant in Bath.
Dallas, TX
“Nice meal in Bath”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited on a weeknight as we were staying at a B&B nearby. Charming atmosphere, very good food and service. My companion had an excellent burger and I had a quiche like entrée with salad. Server made an excellent recommendation for wines to accompany.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Gastropub”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I hate the word 'gastropub', but it's the only way to explain the King William. Small, set directly on a busy main road leading out of Bath, you wouldn't expect much more than a traditional boozer, and certainly not a dinner menu featuring £20 entrees. But that's what you get.

The King William gives the impression of being all about the food -- there's limited seating space, and a small range of beers on tap. On our visit, they had a good variety of independent draught beers, despite the limited number. We were there for a midweek lunch, to take advantage of their 3 courses for £15 offer, as a tester for a 'proper' evening meal in the future, if we liked what we saw.

We were the only ones in (joined halfway through by a lunchtime drinker) and were sat downstairs in the main bar, rather than the upstairs dining room. The staff were excellent, very engaging and pleasant (rather than bored and disinterested, which is sadly more common in the UK service industry).

The food arrived quickly, and was of a very high standard. It's hard to justify £20 for a main (outside the capital), but I can see why they attempt to -- this was very, very clever cooking. A terrine came with plenty of home made bread, and more sauces and pickles than I can remember, and a bowl of whitebait were deliciously salty and not at all greasy, honestly the best I've had.

The limited lunchtime menu (fair enough considering the price) led us both to choose the same pork belly main, which was also excellent, with a superb sauce (slightly less than I've have liked, but a minor complaint). We diverged again on the desserts, trying a perfectly good mandarin and chocolate mousse (hard to really wow with a chocolate mousse) and a deconstructed Lemon meringue pie, which instantly became the best dessert I've ever had™.

I can't really speak on the dinners, or the pub experience, given the quiet lunchtime visit, but I feel comfortable recommending the Chefs and the menu at the King William. And the value of the lunchtime special is amazing, if you're happy making your own fun in an empty room.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Enjoyed our evening there”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were staying at the Bath priory Hotel and this Gastro pub was recommended by one of the Hotel Staff.
We were not disappointed.
Two small bars now used more or less exclusively for food.
We found the service excellent and had no complaints whatsoever about the food. a very pleasant experience and somewhere I would like to visit again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly dissapointing”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had high expectations for this place - had read some good reviews and thought that the menu looked interesting, but nothing they did was particularly well done. I tried a total of six dishes between my meal and the rest of the family, they ranged from not good (soup) to acceptable (beef roast dinner). But most items were simply poorly executed, like the hard and crunchy roast potatoes (not crisp, crunchy, to the point of being hard to cut), the chewy beef, the fatty and poorly executed lamb belly... you get the idea. For the price there are far better options in Bath (like Chequers or the White Hart, for similar menus done well, especially the former)

Bath, UK
“No Pets Policy, Please”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I live locally and have visited the King William on many occasions. I have had many great meals and great times in the pub. Until tonight I did not realise customers were allowed to bring their dogs on to the premises. This stopped my friend and me ordering food. We had a few drinks and left feeling that any 'gastro' pub charging Michelin star prices should not be allowing pets causing a nuisance to freely wander around the bar area where customers are eating or having a quiet drink. Surely such a revered establishment should insist on no pets being allowed?

Visited June 2013