“Warm, but not a warm welcome”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Retro

Cafe Retro
Ranked #71 of 567 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Cafe, British, International
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Francisco, California
“Warm, but not a warm welcome”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had an unfortunate experience at Cafe Retro. I asked for a switch on the menu -- soup instead of fries. It seemed simple enough and the waitress was ok about it, but we could then hear all the waitresses talking about how complicated that was... and how much extra they'd have to charge. We were clearly in eye-sight and ear-shot. Also, my mom brought in her soda from the street -- a half empty can she was hoping to throw away. They rudely told her she "couldn't drink that in here."

The food was just mediocre and overpriced. I think you can find a better place to eat in Bath.

Hervey Bay, Australia
“Awesome breakfast”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just went for breakfast. It was fantastic. The full cooked retro breakfast, was delicious, but the high light for me was the strawberry-banana smoothie. Yummo.It is obviously very popular and we needed to go upstairs to get a seat, but the service was fantastic and I would definitely go again.

Bristol
“Great place for a good meal”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Warm welcome, good choice, delicious food, and prompt service. My three children and I enjoyed our lunch and it was good value for money too. Recommended.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice cafe, quite expensive”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Nice staff, friendly and efficient. My small daughter had two slices of toastwith two fried eggs, and that was £5. The croque monsieur was tasty and full of good ham, topped with stacks of cheese, which it should have for the price. The mushroom soup my husband had looked lovely, and he said it was tasty. We enjoyed our visit, but I am disappointed that cafes in tourist spots are so much more expensive than one just outside the town. I would recommend the cafe, but it wasnt good value.

LisalisaG, Owner at Cafe Retro, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
I am sorry that you feel you did not get value for money from your visit, however we very much cater for Bath locals so would not consider ourselves a tourist trap & in fact many items on our menu are more reasonable than those found in large self-service style places.We do use good quality, locally sourced produce, free-range eggs & try to keep portions on the generous side. I am glad your husband enjoyed the soup which is freshly made in our kitchen. Our children's menu is available all day for less than £5 and includes a glass of fresh juice. Thank you for your feedback, we will bear your thoughts in mind when we review our menu again in the new year. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to our beautiful city!
Bath, UK
“Can't be Beaten”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Can't be beaten for friendly service, quality and value for money.

This little gem is just a stones throw from the Abbey and the Roman Baths and is well worth a visit. Fantastic breakfasts, great coffee and a perfect spot for a nice lunch and all served with a smile and it won't break the bank.

Once found you will be back I'm sure.