“A great find in Bath”

Cavendish Restaurant & Bar
Cavendish Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucked away inside the stunning Grade I listed Dukes Hotel, The Cavendish Restaurant is a discreet and elegant addition to Bath's fine dining scene. The Palladian style Georgian town house has been restored to its original splendour, and the understated dining room has a sophisticated ambience and style all of its own. Head Chef Fran Snell heads up an award-winning kitchen serving modern British cuisine, and signature dishes at The Cavendish include the Cotswald rabbit served with carrot purée, sauté langoustines and tarragon and ginger foam; the maize fed guinea fowl served with forest mushrooms; and the delectable dark chocolate pudding with blood orange sorbet and cocoa-nibbed tuille.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just had Sunday lunch at this restaurant and have to say the food and service were excellent. This is in the basement of a small hotel in a Georgian building on the corner of Great Pulteney Street and Edward Street. The bar and restaurant are very intimate and from our meal the Chef really knows his stuff. We had the Roast Beef which was cooked to perfection and lots of trimmings with it. Really don't understand the comments that portions are small as some of our party struggled to finish the generous portions.

Close to the centre of Bath I thought it was good value for money as well.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

From the first mouthful of foie gras to the last morsel of dessert, Cavendish offered a wonderful dining experience. The staff were knowledgable and attentive, and the chef was masterful in both the presentation of his dishes as well as his careful attention to detail with delicately balancing flavours. Due to us taking an early booking and in part due to the impact of the Olympics the restaurant was quiet, as such we were treated to two extra courses at no charge as the chef was able to dedicate more time to us. We have dined in some excellent restaurants in the past, Cavendish rates up there with the best.

1  Thank Corvonas
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Plumping for the £40 2 course meal, I felt a little let down with the predictable enormous plate with modest kids' portions carefully arranged on it. Big let down was the service. Just 2 other tables that night so 30 minutes wait between the 2 courses is inexcusable. We waited nearly half an hour to be seated too.

1  Thank ChiefCynicist
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Foie GRAS to die for. Beef and chicken so tender you can cut with a fork. Presentation outstanding. Deserts excellent.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This restaurant should be top of the list! We ate here on Saturday and had a superb meal. The restaurant was quiet which I can only put down to be being a bit off the beaten track and not very well advertised. It is downstairs in the Duke Hotel and I must admit that when I looked through the window and saw how quiet it was, I was a bit concerned. There was absolutely no need; it was one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time. We were served drinks whilst we looked at the menu and then taken through to our table. The dining area was quite small but nice and the service was friendly and attentive but without any hovering. We received small portions of a complimentary chicken starter before the ones that we had ordered. The chicken immediately steadied my reservations as it was delicious. Then our starters followed suit; my husband had the soup and I had a goats cheese starter with the most gorgeous chutney. They were beautifully presented. We both ordered the beef which agian was beautifully presented and tasted heavenly. We had a complimentary sorbet and I had the chocolate dessert - fantastic. I had a half bottle of red wine which was quite reasonably priced at £13, my husband was drinking Coke at £2 each which was less than many places and the meals were £45 each. So, not cheap, but not over the top either and absolutely worth every penny. I did ask if I could take the chef home with me at the end of the meal!! It really was perfect and I would not hesitate to recommend you eat here.

1  Thank DoryRushden