“Lovely food but expensive! Veggie and coeliac friendly though”
Review of Tilleys Bistro - CLOSED

Tilleys Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Closed for refurbishment...
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Went here for a friends birthday. I really enjoyed my food but it was very pricey which is something that will stop me returning but it was nice for an extravagant treat. There is a set pre-theatre menu that is more reasonable price wise but unfortunately I didn't fancy any of the dishes on it.

For starter I shared a baked Egg Espagnole with my husband - I was surprised that it was literally an egg with a tiny amount of meat and veg and for £6 it wasn't what I'd call good value for money at all! It was nice enough but the price was not justified. We shared a Warm Tarte Italienne which was a Grana Padano and asparagus tart and that was lovely. For mains I had Boeuf Bourguignon which was absolutely gorgeous but I was pretty shocked at the size of the portion for £8.50, it was a teeny tiny little casserole dish no bigger than my fist with no extra accompaniments (veg was about £3 and potatoes were too) . I also had a Crepe a la Grecque which was a lamb crepe and was lovely but at £7.50 very pricey. My husband had steak and chips which was an eye watering £23.50 so he was kind of expecting the best steak of his life but it was not! He did enjoy it but he felt the price was too high.

For dessert we shared a Fresh Lime, Cream and Root Ginger Crunch Tart and a Chocolate Cheesecake - both were homemade and delightful - we didn't mind paying £6 plus for these!

All in all the food was lovely and we had a good time, the service was good and the restaurant was pleasant and it's nice to support a local business but some of the portion sizes did surprise us! If you're on a budget I'd advise you to stick to the set menu or save Tilleys for a special ocassion!

One other good thing was that the amount of veggie and coeliac friendly dishes on the menu was vast! I'm neither veggie or coeliac but a few people in our party were and they were really pleased at all the choice they had (which seems to be a rarity!)

There are newer reviews for Tilleys Bistro

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Ate here on Sunday. We had a warm welcome. The food was freshly prepared, cooked to order & delicious. My skate wing was the best I've tasted, a favourite of mine! The 2 men shared a cheese board for one & there was plenty,whilst us 2 girls shared a Belgian chocolate dessert which was decorated with fresh fruit & meringue. Presentation was first class & the bill was reasonable. All in all a wonderful evening.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband, 16 year old grand daughter and i recently had dinner at Tilleys Bistro in Bath Spa, UK, and it was just great !! The menu was diverse, each "small plate" was uniquely spiced/flavored, the quality of food was excellent, the service friendly, and the restaurant welcoming. We all enjoyed a diverse selection of dishes, each one carefully prepared and tasty. An added benefit to Tilleys is that it is 5 minutes from the Roman Bath Museum, as well as being located right next door to Sally Luns Buns, and just a 10 minute walk to the train station back to London. Don't miss Tilleys Bistro ! Kathy A.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The food was good (best mushroom soup ever) and the atmosphere was nice. The staff was friendly and helfpul

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We went on Friday and had a brilliant evening. The staff were lovely and the whole meal, from the house special aperitif down to the Normandy crepe for dessert was fantastic. I couldn't fault any of it. Will definitely return when next in Bath.