“Service with a smile and great atmosphere”

The Pump Room Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 613 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a light lunch here more for the atmosphere than the food. The room the restaurant in is magnificent and the piano playing in the background was lovely. It was busy but there were hardly any queues for waiting for a table. The waitress we had was lovely and smiled and when I asked a a couple of questions about the history of the restaurant she went and found out the answers to what she did not already know. For fans of Jane Austin or Georgette Heyer a meal or tea at the Pump Room is a must. We tried the bath water from the fish fountain, warm and an acquired taste. The lunch was ok, I did not like the soup carrot and orange and found it an odd flavour. My ham hock salad was fine and my wife enjoyed her welsh rabbit and a glass of merlot which she liked too. All in all it was a nice experience and the view of the Kings Bath from the internal window was good and I even got to see some fire jugglers outside in the throughfare entertaining the crowds.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,326)

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a late breakfast here. We did not have wait long for a table and the service was very good. Breakfast was good. Very nice atmosphere - definitely enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Took wife on a special day to Bath Dec 20th via train from Cardiff. One hour trouble free travel, less the stress of driving, parking, dreaded traffic and of course the 7 Bridge Toll.
Booked lunch a few weeks before expecting place to be absolutly packed. Even though weather was terrible (non stop rain) it was still suprisingly quiet.
But Xmas set meal of £22.95 two course with welcome glass of Proseco was good value. Good soup and pate starters then into the turkey lunch. Initially portion of turkey seemed a bit small but thick cut wasn't bad. Plenty of veg and extra gravy came when asked for, made for a very tasty meal.
Too full for puddings but enjoying the atmosphere and lady playing grand piano.
Out of nostalgia we we went mad and ordered two glasses of Mumms Champagne at £11 glass.
Our very favourate from our wedding day!
All in all very enjoyable - good service, nice atmosphere, not too busy, only slight suprise was a lady manager who looked incredably scruffy, not at all in keeping with a place of this quality!

2  Thank paul_doubler
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked a table for lunch as it was our anniversary. The service was wonderful and the food was good, not exceptional. If you're a Jane Austen fan, this is a must - so much history and try the water (it's not good), but people flocked to Bath to take the waters. It's part of the experience.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went there, nice, noisy, big queue (line) if you don't book. Service was painfully slow but the place is a licence to print money! Staff were polite and friendly. Our waiter gave us free thermal water from their famous fountain (wow) . Take note, it could be an acquired taste but my taste buds said ' hot tap water, tea spoon of salt, a dash of chalk, hint of the sea - get my drift?,I stupidly drank my glass even to my dislike but its gotta do some good if it cures a King with leprosy. Afternoon tea was fine, pianist playing away then disappearing, then playing....slow slow slow!
Overall, could have been anywhere that rinses the tourist of their cash but it was cheap for me.

1  Thank cosmicroy