“Dissapointing”

The Eastern Eye
Ranked #159 of 613 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Mahal of Exquisite Indian Cuisine with the cities most impressive Georgian interior and triple domed high ceiling. Here at The Eastern Eye we are humbled and elated to have received multiple Restaurant of the Year Awards in 2011, along with a whole host of other accolades and positive reviews from popular magazines, newspapers and awards bodies. We specialize in wholesome traditional Indian food, with a touch of imagination and creative flair. We use some of the finest ingredients and pay immense attention to ensuring flavours are not only grounded in Indian culinary heritage, but also now and again break the mould with flavour combinations that are both unique and exceptionally delicious.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you've visited Bath as a tourist and are a fan of Indian cuisine, then maybe you've already tried this establishment. If you are yet to visit, then give other restaurants in Bath a try, because The Eastern Eye relies on a good reputation that is either out of date or undeserving.
The food is alright, no complaints there. The decor and surroundings are fantastic, this is what used to be a ballroom or masonic meeting room by the looks of things, and it does impress when it first greets you.
The staff on the other hand, could do with a crash course in how to treat their fellow human beings. This is not sour grapes or a one-off experience, I've been a local in this town for a while now and been here a few times.
I'm a laid back sort, and when I have a less than perfect dining experience, I don't throw tantrums. I take it on the chin and put it down to an off-day, we all have them. The five or six times I've eaten here though, the same following bugbears have appeared most of those times.
Surly staff, disinterested mumbles, intelligible grunting, throwing down of cutlery and crockery.
I don't expect the moon on a stick, but some common courtesy and respect would be nice.
Avoid.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were in a party of 16.
The place itself is delightful, a fantastic venue for dinner in the middle of town. The service was ok but we seemed to have our plates chucked at us as we were such a big party.
I felt that the food was all a little bit hotter than usual and therefore did not enjoy the dish I always order to suit my taste.

The cost was higher than I expected although this may have been reduced if we had chosen one of the many special offers.

We won't eat here again as we have eaten in better Indians in Bath.

1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We came upon The Eastern Eye on a rainy Saturday in January quite by accident as we had not booked anywhere for dinner and had been turned away by several other places before we turned into Quiet Street and found this gem. The first thing that hits you as you come up the stairs is the size of the place, it's enormous - and the amazing decor, huge wall paintings, 3 massive ceiling domes, the hustle and bustle of India seems all around you. Having said that, it was possible to have a tucked away table for two and not feel oppressed by the huge tables of Bath rugby supporters who had beaten Exeter nicely that afternoon. The menu is extensive and doesn't just offer the usual fare. We loved every mouthful, the waiters moved like greased lightening and the bill was reasonable. People were queuing for tables as we left which shows how highly this place is regarded, and justifiably so - we would have no hesitation in recommending a visit when next you are passing.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is the 2nd time we have been to The Eastern Eye and both times it was brilliant. The food was amazing as always and the service was faultless. Both visits have been great and I only wish my stomach was as big as my eyes as I could've eaten alot more - as it was I had to pass mine to my husband who polished off his and mine as well. The only thing I will say and it is not really a critisism - just an observation - is that maybe the hot towels they hand you at the end of the meal - could be a little less hot to the touch - I had to wait a while before I could touch it. All in all a very nice evening and will definitely be going back. Thank you for a wonderful meal

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I visited The Eastern Eye with my partner for her birthday and had a fantastic night! I had decided to go to this restaurant as the reviews were great and it wasnt far from The Hilton where we were staying (Had originally wanted to go to Sutto Sutto or The Mint Rooms but they were fully booked!) After finally finding the place - I have to say from the outside looked as if it would be tiny and a little dingy, we went upstairs to the restaurant and it was fantastic!! I had tried to book a table but was told to just come in and we might have to wait at the bar for 5 minutes. The wait was about 10-15 minutes but we didnt mind as the atmosphere was fantastic. We were sat quite close to another table, but it added to the feel of the place. We had poppadoms, onion bhajis and chicken chandan to start - all fantastic, chicken was delicious! My partner had Chicken Tikka Massala and I asked for King Prawn King Po but the waiter advised that it would take a while to cook but he had another dish that was similar that wouldnt take as long - so I went with that. We ordered mushroom rice and a keema naan to share. We were in the restraunt for about 2 hours and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals, although the restaurant was packed out we had good service, fantastic food and didnt feel rushed. Would definatly recommend The Eastern Eye to anyone visiting Bath, the decor and atmophere is certainly a talking point! Good priced meal too, had expected to pay more!