“Very good - but go on a lively night!”
Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #41 of 618 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree Restaurant in the Queensberry Hotel has gained local popularity and national renown as one of the premiere dining places in Bath. The hotel is a stylish contemporary boutique hotel, but the restaurant is an oasis of calm modernity, with excellent British food served with a great attention to detail in relaxed, informal surroundings.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The food and wine is exactly what you would expect from a 3 rosette restaurant - excellent. Sadly we went in January and like everywhere else in Bath it was atmospherically a little bit flat. Given there were only four table including us, the service could have been a little bit more personal. A personal touch makes a huge difference... but i suppose it depends what you like.

Cannot fault the food (bread!) or wine.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Visited here for my birthday and had a wonderful meal, it was quiet, but that can be expected in January! I thought it well priced considering the standard of the meal, three courses, coffee and digestifs, the service a little off considering we were one of three tables. But it was a wonderful evening for a special occasion.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

After out last visit in late April we decided to give the Olive Tree another try and I have to say things are on the up. This time the place was packed which gave it a very nice atmosphere and service did not suffer. For my appetite some the portions still seem a bit small but the cooking was superb and the wine list has always been excellent. It would be great if they keep up the good work and get that Michelin star

Lauren M, General Manager at The Olive Tree, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to The Olive Tree recently and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable evening.

Please do keep in touch, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Lauren McCann

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My fiancé and I ate here on Sat 1.6.13 at 7.45 PM after visiting Bath for an impromptu weekend away. Slightly apprehensive when we walked in as all the first few tables were empty and felt like it was lacking a little atmosphere. However we were led down onto the middle level of the restaurant (split into 3 different levels) and there were a few people already in the restaurant and it soon filled up in the next 30 mins or so following our arrival. Food was excellent, couldn't really fault it. Service was also very good (we actually had to wait about about an hour for our starters, not sure if they had forgotten or misplaced our order). However a waiter (assuming he was the Manager / Maitre D) apologised for the slow service without us mentioning it and assured us he would rectify it later on. What was lacking for us though was a little atmosphere and buzz (we're both a young 29 and were the youngest in there by a fair way). Music choice was a little dodgy too at times. When the bill came I was very pleasantly surprised (£128 for 2 starters, 2 mains, shared desert, 5 piece cheeseboard, one bottle of white wine @ £27 which was picked for us and 2 bottles of still water). Coming from London I thought this was superb value for money given that the food was very good indeed. We left the restaurant happy after a lovely meal when the Maitre D / Manager chased after us and offered me £20 back as they had forgotten to give us the deserts / cheeseboard for free as an apology for the wait for our starters. I thought this was a classy touch and didn't accept the money back as the wait didn't affect our meal in the slightest. Would definitely recommend this place but maybe to a slightly older crowd.

1  Thank Davemorris84
Reviewed June 1, 2013

For my husbands birthday I arranged on Saturday 25th May an afternoon theatre visit to see Birdsong followed by an early meal at the Olive Tree (7pm). We had not visited the Olive tree since Christmas. A new chef, new menu we were not disappointed. Starting with a champagne cocktail in the terrace courtyard, browsing the menu we both thought it was great. We could have picked every option, but we both settled for the scallops to start followed by the Lamb main course, a cheese plate each and a dessert ( the full works). We have to say all fabulous. We are big italian wine drinkers and the wine list was just up our 'street'. The staff attentive. We look forward to going back, apparently they are looking at developing a 'tasting menu' which for foodies like us is what we like. See you soon Olive tree.......... J & J