“Excellent Food Beautifully Presented and Gracefully Served” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Olive Tree
Ranked #34 of 563 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Olive Tree Restaurant in the Queensberry Hotel has gained local popularity and national renown as one of the premiere dining places in Bath. The hotel is a stylish contemporary boutique hotel, but the restaurant is an oasis of calm modernity, with excellent British food served with a great attention to detail in relaxed, informal surroundings.
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food Beautifully Presented and Gracefully Served”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

With no vegetarian option for the main course, apart from an initial offer of the side dish offering for the cod of parsley and garlic risotto, we very nearly had to go elsewhere but they quickly brought it back with an offer from the chef to make us a beetroot and horseradish risotto.

I am surprised however that in this day and age and given the location (Bath) that there isnt a vegetarian option on the menu anyway. THis has stopped me giving an excellent rating.

I am glad we stayed however. The amuse bouche was excellent (watercress and horseradish soup- very tasty indeed and Ill be trying it out at home! A delicious pumpkin soup with a very tasty goats cheese tortellini as a starter, lovely selection of 3 breads, the beetroot and horseradish rissoto was exceptional and looked great too. I had a serving of 3 wonderful cheeses at an excellent price of £7.50 with trimmings of quince and date and nut cake, apple and celery. My Partner had a popcorn and chocolate ganache which was superb!

We had coffee and it came with 4 tiny chocolate truffles which made us feel better about having them.

Only went for glass house wine and water didn't look at wine list.

Service was efficient.

The main course portion size was on the small size for the cost so I cant say it was tremendous value, unlike the cheese.

It was busy and people were clearly enjoying themselves and the food however it did mean longer than usual waits between courses - didn't spoil the overall evening though.

1 Thank seanpmoran

• Greek first
Torquay, United Kingdom
“bad parking, but great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

we arrived late, the parking in bath is awful and expensive. the staff greeted us very well and immediately got us drinks. my host had forgotten i am lactose intolerate, but the waiter said no problem even though we were on afixed menu. so my wife and i had tott[ally diferent meals and both wer superb. our wines were provided by our host so i did not see the wine list. we will certainly be visiting again, probably by train and stay in the hotel above the restaurant.

1 Thank Rowland W
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Hopefully it can do better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had a weekend in Bath and this was our Saturday night treat. It has had great write ups in the past but frankly we were left wodering why. The food was ok but the general idea seemed to be you bulked up on bread and made do with tiny portions, the menu was dire -4 choices of main course only at a premier restaurant is not my idea of choice! The atmosphere was sterile and the staff polite but bland. The decor was not inspiring and generally oppressive- all in all poor value for money.

6 Thank Stephen H
London, United Kingdom
“Times are a'changing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've not been before but I had heard a lot about The Olive Tree and my wife had been with her sister.

'One of Bath's finest' I had read. 'One of the best in Bath' said the website of the hotel it is joined to.

I was looking forward to this immensely.

Sitting in the bar upstairs (they forgot to take a drinks order as some other guests arrived just after us) we were given menus. Four starters, four mains and some puddings. It wasn't what I was expecting.

We were told that there had been a complete change in kitchen staff so we thought 'OK' and although the choice was limited, we were booked in and going to give them a chance.

We sat down, nice table, and ordered our food.

I had scallops to start and then venison, and my wife had chicken and egg consommé to start and cod. We thought the food was good. Not great, but solidly good. Tasty and well presented. Just very little of it.

I thought the new chef had done a great job (to be fair to the kitchen staff) and they were making a new kitchen (to them) work well.

The service was very disjointed however. The guys tried well, but it just did not flow. The maitre d was very self obsessed and a little above himself. Looking at shoes of guests as they walk in (fine, check a shoe out but do it discreetly). You know, the kind of guy that would smell a cork he had just pulled from a bottle thinking it lets him know if the wine is corked without realising it tells him nothing. Just do the little things well and forget the theatre until you can. Then, only do little things that matter (like making sure there is pepper in the pepper pot) rather than doing the stuff that doesn't matter and not even doing that well.

All in all, I wouldn't rush back. I accept that it was apparently a time of change and the food was good. It's just not worth the money in today's resturant world. It's too competitive out there and maybe it is OK with people that pass through Bath, but if I was a local I wouldn't be heading back soon.

1 Thank BernardtheMeerkat
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Non event and let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had booked to go the Olive Tree this Saturday, 2nd Feb as part of a special birthday weekend trip to Bath for my boyfriend. I made the booking 3 weeks ago to ensure we had somewhere really nice booked. The Olive Tree phoned me on Mondaybto cancel our booking as they have VIP members of a team coming and the fore have to close the kitchen. I was appalled! I've spent a lot of this week trying to make another booking elsewhere, but most places are now fully booked as its so close to the date. I felt really let down. The lady on the phone was not very apologetic at all and I felt as though our custom was worthless. I won't be re-booking or visiting the hotel ever again. I obviously can't comment on food or atmosphere as we didn't get to go!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Alice H
Laurence_Beere, Owner at The Olive Tree, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Alice H,

Having read your review, I wanted to respond and apologise for the inconvenience that was caused as a result of the decision taken last week to close the restaurant temporarily.

On Monday of last week we became aware of a situation affecting our Senior Chef team that meant that they would not be able to cook for a number of days taking us over the weekend. The Olive Tree offers a very high standard of food as recognised by the 3 AA Rosettes which meant it was not possible to bring in temporary chefs to cover the services. As owners of the hotel and restaurant we felt that we had no option but to close the restaurant as we were not happy to offer our guests less that the standards we pride ourselves upon.

As soon as that decision was made we took every effort to contact each guest to explain the difficult situation we were faced with and to apologise that we would not be able to honour the reservation.

We are therefore greatly saddened that you have placed this review distorting the facts of the situation. We understood fully that we were going to inconvenience guests and only did this as the absolute last resort. Under no circumstances would we take a booking over existing bookings and then cancel earlier reservations.

We have also started to contact every reservation cancelled to offer them a future table and provide them with Complimentary drinks in the Old Q Bar before dining as a gesture of good faith.

I would be very happy to discuss this situation with you directly and apologise again for the inconvenience. My direct number is 01225 820 830.

Finally I do hope you enjoyed your weekend in Bath and that you did find a table in one of the many excellent Independent Restaurants that our City has to offer.

Best wishes