“Elegant restaurant serving some serious food” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Olive Tree
Ranked #33 of 563 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Olive Tree Restaurant in the Queensberry Hotel has gained local popularity and national renown as one of the premiere dining places in Bath. The hotel is a stylish contemporary boutique hotel, but the restaurant is an oasis of calm modernity, with excellent British food served with a great attention to detail in relaxed, informal surroundings.
London, United Kingdom
“Elegant restaurant serving some serious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Perhaps Tripadvisor reviewers can help me, because there is something I just don't understand. This restaurant is currently ranked the 45th best restaurant in Bath. Are you kidding me? Is this some kind of elaborate joke? I only visit Bath once or twice a year, but I have eaten at a lot of the restaurants ranked more highly and in my view on this occasion the Tripadvisor community has got it badly wrong. I'll be frank - this was my first visit to the Olive Tree because I've been put off in the past by some of the negative reviews. Well, my experience on the night was incredibly positive. We sat down, a little apprehensive, and immediately overheard a neighbouring table complain about cold food. Apprehension grew. We ordered some wine. 2007 Gigondas at about £44. Amazing and not a bad price at all. I wish I could order another bottle now in fact. Then we were brought a complimentary appetiser of parsnip soup. We sipped nervously. And then the clouds lifted. Clearly whoever was in the kitchen could actually cook. Hurrah! And the rest of our meal was delicious (and perfectly well heated). Really very good indeed. London good. Yes, really. And then I heard another table complaining. This time the diner was bemoaning the fact that the waitress had not expressly explained to him that the sauce served with his main course in a little jug was intended for him to pour over his food (if he wished). And he made the Maitre D' bring him a fresh main course on the house. I am not making that up. The staff remained polite. I don't know how they managed it. So in brief, if you are looking for an evening of relatively fancy (good) food and excellent wine and are willing to pay London-ish prices, I really recommend the Olive Tree. There are other very good restaurants in Bath (e.g. The Circus), and there are many cheaper restaurants, but why on earth isn't this in the Bath top 10 at the very least?! Oh well, at least that should make it easier for me to get a reservation next time.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Laurence_Beere, Owner at The Olive Tree, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Aethelthryth,

Your review was so enjoyed by all of us here at The Olive Tree. Please do let us know when next you are returning to Bath so that Joss Roussanne our new restaurant manager can welcome you personally.

Kindest regards

Laurence Beere

• Greek first
“Olive Tree Bath”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We've visited here a couple of times and love the food. Service is always good. Atmosphere is good. A perfect treat in a great city.

Although I tried to book a large party for a birthday and they wanted £1,000 for a small room so we went elsewhere - this was disappointing as we would have booked at least 25 rooms at the hotels too let alone the drink consumption- short sited I feel as is a November 2013 party! However we would go back to the Olive Tree.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Good food spoilt by eccentric service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

First and probably last visit. Party of four shown to table and repeatedly ignored. Had to play "catch the waiter" to ask for drinks,menu,bread,etc. Food beautifully presented and excellent to taste. Complaint of cold fish dish resulted in no apology but "I'll tell the kitchen". Staff were busy and pleasant but so untrained!
Explained to restaurant manager when paying for a not inexpensive meal that is necessary to train staff properly and his role should be to check affairs during the evening. Such a pity as could and should be so much better !

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Bath
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lost its edge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

disappointed on a Christmas eve visit. Food quality and presentation had lost its edge. That and poor service - drinks arriving late, bread arriving after starters, .... and not just at our table - spoilt a special treat. We won't be going back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Laurence_Beere, Owner at The Olive Tree, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Jackthe1ad,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review of the Olive Tree. We were very disappointed to learn that you felt that the evening was not as good as previous occasions. I would be pleased if you could contact me direct so that I can discuss your feedback and learn from your experiences.

Please do contact me direct at The Queensberry Hotel on 01225 447 928.

I look forward to discussing your recent visit with you and hope that we shall have an opportunity to make amends for your poor experience.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Fantastic dinning experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My friends and me had a night out in The Olive tree last month, the restaurant is well decorated, wine was amazing, and food was beautiful! Even though I had the smallest cheese cake in the world, but the amazing flavour is more than enough :) The only thing I didn’t like was the welcome soup, it was far too salty don’t know what's going on there. The main course- duck leg was very very tasty with all the nice vegs dressings around it. I highly recommend people who would like to have a fine dinning experience; esp for couples very romantic settings

• Visited November 2012
Dear Maggie_Chen,

Thank you for your kind words about The Olive Tree. We are always pleased to know how much our guests have enjoyed their evening. I noted your comments about the seasoning of the Appetiser Soup and have passed these on to Nick Brodie our Head Chef.

We hope that you will have the chance to return soon and meet our new Restaurant Manager, Joss Rousseau.