“Awful experience with a waiter - good food!”

Firehouse Rotisserie
Ranked #18 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

On the 26th Jan 2013 around 1pm, after looking for a nice place to eat a good steak in Bath for about an hour, a friend told me about this restaurant and I decided to go there for the first time with my little daughter and had a really bad experience.

We were given a table by the door on the ground floor by a very nice and polite waitress who served us two drinks and took the order for pizzas, which my daughter then chose. While we waited and with people coming in and out it was absolutely freezing and uncomfortable so I asked the waiter who was also serving in this room if he could sit us on one of the other tables as there were at least 5 or 6 tables which had just become empty. He said with an arrogant and loud tone of voice "which table did you reserve?", I replied "I didn't, that's why I am asking you". He replied "all of these tables are reserved for people coming in at 2.30pm, the ones around the corner still have people sitting there, do you want to see?", I was absolutely shocked about the way he was talking to me, other clients looking at us, and said "why are you talking to me like that?" and he said "I am replying in the same way you asked your question!". I felt like getting up straight away and leaving this place, but felt I shouldn't because my daughter was hungry and already upset for other reasons, she would probably feel worse if we left and looked for another restaurant. About 30 seconds later he comes to my table and offers a table upstairs which we accepted.

I asked the waiter who was serving upstairs if his colleague owns the restaurant and told him what happened. He apologized for his colleague's bad manners and made sure he served us well. The pizzas were very good. When I asked for the bill, two drinks ad been deducted "to make up for the trouble caused", the waiter said, which was very nice of him and stopped me making an official complaint. If the tables were all reserved for people coming in almost 2 hours later, he could have simply explained that with good manners and a smile on his face! However, this was a unique experience I shall never forget. I will certainly NOT recommend this restaurant to anyone because of my terrible experience with this waiter. My money can be spent in other good restaurants in Bath, with excellent service, serving very good pizzas as well!

There are newer reviews for Firehouse Rotisserie

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Can't fault this place really, the staff are welcoming and efficient as well as willing to assist any dietary requirements.
The food is fresh, tasty, beautifully presented and the portions are fantastic. Real rustic, homely feel to this restaurant that keeps you going back.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

To be honest I didn’t want to go to this restaurant, not because I had heard anything untoward, I just like my favourites in Bath, there are lots of good ones, but to many bad ones, and I feel that some of them only survive because there is as lot of passing trade.. tourists.

Anyway, had to go there one lunch time, business lunch, enjoyed it very much, so booked a table for the evening, and was extremely impressed, the food is meticulously prepared, cooked to perfection, the wine selection is spot on.

I have eat here regularly now, really enjoy it, try the Calamari with Wasabi Dip, yum, I am not a pudding person, but have had a few here, difficult not to they are good, try the cheese selection.

Looking forward to the next visit

1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This has been a family favourite for many years when visiting Bath for shopping or regular visits to watch Bath RFC. Lovely, friendly staff create a great atmosphere. The food is excellent and plenty to choose from. Some of the best Pizzas I have had make it hard to choose anything else, but when you do the Rotisserie free range chicken is fantastic. Highly recommended gem, but you must book as it gets very busy.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the food at this restaurant, I had the special which was meatloaf and it was delicious! My husband had a burger and asked if it could be done medium rare, most places won't do this but The Firehouse did and it was the best burger I had tasted in a long time. The sweet potatoe chips were very tasty too. We had a couple of their "small plates" as starters and they were a little large for that purpose, if we went again we would skip the starter.

The only slight downside was we ordered a very nice bottle of wine and the wine cooler they gave us didn't really keep it cool so it got a little warm towards the end of the meal.