“You Will Not Laugh At This Belly!”

Browns Brasserie & Bar
Ranked #255 of 619 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Blending European brasserie dishes and timelessly elegant surroundings, Browns Bar and Brasserie Bath champions an informal yet refined concept. Renowned for indulgent twists on classic comfort food recipes, Browns has offered trademark favourites since 1973, as well as choices from the specials board or the market fresh fish of the day. Showcasing striking design features and historic or listed buildings, Browns restaurants are a refined yet relaxed dining spot, at any time of the day.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Love the atmosphere on entering Browns. It has a large, really well-stocked bar just after the main entrance. Never had the choice of so many gins! Also they make some excellent cocktails. The restaurant is nicely laid out and has an excellent menu. My favourite is the belly of pork, this is such a succulent dish with all the trimmings. Most will find something to their liking on the menu. Recommended for an evening visit for the atmosphere.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

After our visit to Browns in Bath, we left leaving disheartened and miffed at the fact that we were never going to re-claim the last hour and a half. We ordered the 'eggy cinnamon brioche served with caramelised banana and maple syrup'. We were served a thin slice of granary loaf with sliced banana and butter (take note of the lack of brioche, maple syrup, cinnamon and caramelisation of bananas!)

Upon highlighting our discontent, a freshly prepared replacement was brought out. This, however, comprised of a thicker slice of granary toast which could not be classified as 'eggy bread'. We did have caramelised bananas but no trace of cinnamon was to be found.

To provide a balanced view, both the barman and waiter were extremely polite and apologetic, and we did have the entire meal give to us complementary without asking. We do not wish this experience to reflect upon our previous visit to Browns in Bristol which was well above par.

On the whole, despite its pretty decor, the food lets this place down big time.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

After a busy day we stopped here for dinner. It being a Friday we did have to wait a while before being seated. Our dinners were huge (the portions in the UK seem to be too big) but the food at best was mediocre. For the price I would not recommend this restaurant

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We turned up on spec and they were pretty full. The staff did all they could to get us a table and they did in less than 10 minutes., while we got a drink from the bar. The menu was good and the food we had was gorgeous and it was priced very reasonable.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I used to patronise Browns in Oxford a lot when I lived in the area. So, it's been some time since I visited one. What a surprise. The old favourite steak, mushroom and Guiness pie is on the menu...so I had it, as did my colleague on my recommendation. Well, it is not like it used to be and I am certain they used to be larger. The last reviewer referred to quality over quantity. Mmm, I cannot agree.