“Great Guest House”

and 1 more site!
Avon Guest House
Ranked #63 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Recently I needed to stay in Bath with my teenage son for a one night.Having stayed at the Avon Guest House before I had no reasons not to stay again.The booking was handled promptly by the owner Julie and upon arrival we were given a warm welcome,she rembered us from before,a nice touch !
The room at the top of the house "Room 1" was clean,tidy and comfortable,the only thing missing was free Wi Fi but Julie was keen to tell my son that this was work in progress.
After a late night we entered the dining room late for breakfast but nothing was too much trouble and the full english breakfast was excellent,even my son enjoyed it.We paid £77 for a double room with parking and we felt this representated great vale for money.We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 4, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights in april. The guest house is a 5 min walk to the roman baths and thermae spa, you just have to walk across pultney bridge. The breakfasts are great, you can have either a full cooked or continental, continental includes a fruit salad (good mix of fruits!) yoghurt and croissant. we tried both the breakfast options and they were both excellent. you can also have as much cereal/toast/juices/tea/coffee as you want with either option, so you wont go hungry at all.

We chose this guest house over the other similar options in the area because we wanted to be close to everything, and it was one of the best prices available (£70 per night.) There is also free parking available which in bath seems to be quite limited! so this saved us of money too.

Julie the owner was friendly and helpful when we arrived, told us all we needed to know about the area etc. After this shes available when you need her but is not intrusive at all.

the rooms are basic in terms of decor but nice, clean, warm, bed was comfy, freeview tv. obviously if you want a plush room with a 4 poster bed you will need to go to a hotel where the prices are much higher!! We didnt really care too much as we were out sightseeing all day. the only thing we would of liked that wasnt there was a bath, but I dont expect you get this option in many guesthouses due to the space.

I would recommend this guesthouse to friends and if I was staying in bath I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My partner and I spent two days and nights in Bath sightseening to break up our journey to Dorset. The guest house is so close to the city centre. Although there it is on a road we saw other places advertised and would say this is the quietest road so close to the centre. We were welcomed by Julie and a parking space was ready for us. The rooms were clean. We stayed on the top floor which a previous report said had a damp ceiling in the bathroom. I am happy to say this is no longer the case and since Julie has taken over the walls are fine and decor is as it should be. The rooms have portable televisions with freeview. Julie was always ready to help with any questions. The suggested walk along the canal was worth doing. Breakfast was good and the fry up had a proper sausage not synthetic one. Also the pub across the road does not look from the outside but sells good real ale and the food was good, well presented and priced.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed at the Avon Guesthouse with my boyfriend while we spent a weekend exploring the sights of Bath. Julie the owner was very welcoming and hospitable and offered to store our luggage for us after we had checked out, so that we could enjoy our last few hours in Bath without having to take all our stuff with us. Our room was basic, but quiet, and a decent size with a comfortable bed and ensuite bathroom. It was all clean, with fresh towels provided each day. There was a good selection of food for breakfast and I can recommend the fry up! This is a nice guesthouse, ideally located just a 5 minute stroll into the heart of Bath and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed with my sister-in-law for 2 nights when on our way to somewhere else. Room lovely, beds comfortable, shower room spotless and a great breakfast. Location very convenient. My only criticism would be lack of towel rails in the bathroom, but I've yet to find a hotel, B & B or guest house that has enough, anyway. We had a warm welcome from the owner who was very pleasant.
I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My daughters and I stayed at the Avon guest House when we visited Bath for a university swimming meet. The rooms were warm, comfortable and clean. The shower room modern ans spotless. The owner was friendly and accomodating . The guest house is perfectly situated for visiting students at either of the Universities or for a tourist trip to the town. It is literally a ten minute stroll into town, ( via the cricket gound, the canal, and the parade ground, all immaculately kept,) but far enough out to be peaceful. Bath itself was a delight. We will definitely return and will look forward to staying at the Avon Guest House again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I stayed for 4 nights with one of my teenage sons in a family room. The purpose of our stay was to visit my eldest son who is at the University of Bath, so the location was absolutely perfect - both for the university and for the centre of town. We had driven over from our home in Brussels and had had a very early start; the welcome we received was very warm and we felt immediately at home. Julie and her mother could not have been more helpful and provided us with lots of useful information - no request was too great and they went out of their way to be helpful. The parking on site was a huge bonus too as Bath is so congested and expensive. Breakfast was lovely and served with a smile and a chat - a great start to the day. The decor is a bit faded but our room was spotlessly clean, spacious and well-equipped. I've been disappointed by other reviews I've read about The Avon and hope this will redress the balance. I think this place represents real value for money in a very expensive city and I will definitely go back. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family