“Very Nice”

Ranked #70 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
london
“Very Nice”
Reviewed December 6, 2008

We spent a very enjoyable 2 nights B&B. We found the house the same as it was described on the website. On arrival we were offered a tray of tea which was very welcome following our long drive from London.
Our room was decorated to a very high quality with a lovely 4 poster bed. The furniture was antique and very suited to the room.
We had a nice spacious en-suite bathroom with good quality towels & tolietries. Our room was cleaned well each day.
We found Greg very hospitible.
The breakfast was hearty & fresh. There was fresh fruit daily which was very nice.
All in all a very enjoyable stay in the beautiful city of Bath which we hope to return to soon.

• Liked — The Old world ambience
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
dorset
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Booked this as part of my daughters 21st birthday celebrations. We were in Bath for two days with one spent at the Thermae Spa and the second shopping.
We arrived at the hotel and were greeted very warmly and shown to our room, The Charlotte Suite. No other review indicated that this room is reached through the owners kitchen which was quite messy and just made me feel as if I was intruding.
The suite was a nice size and layout , through a short passage stocked with books and, a very weird touch ,photographs of the owners . Shower room on the right and bedroom at the end.
The bedroom was ok sizewise , large bed, daughter loved it , silver 4 poster very princessy, I noticed the peeling silver paint. This was my overall impression, every thing was as in the photos and as described by other reviewers just much more tired. Lots of tears in the wall paper, thinning sofa fabric, not shabby chic just shabby. The water marks running down the bathroom wallpaper I found particularly offputting.
Through less seeing eyes it was declared perfect and for a mother and daughter break, if you are the sort who dont mind sharing a bed it was great fun. I think most men would run screaming.
Breakfast was absolutely 1st class. Large platter of exotic fruits beautifully presented, cereals, huge full english beautifully cooked (super sausages )or just a poached egg on brown toast if that was your preference.
So overall a tough one to grade, certainly unique but just too shabby for me to be comfortable to recommend it.
However at least we got in , see my review of the Mandeville London for part two of the 21st birthday celabrations !

• Liked — brekfast
  • Disliked — shabbiness
  • Stayed December 2008
3 Thank eftgy
Devon
Reviewed December 3, 2008

What a great little place, a very warm welcome, very different just like stepping back in time without the period costume,if were back in bath will be back again!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
North London
Reviewed November 28, 2008

My husband & I spent the weekend in Bath & found this charming B&B on the internet. We were pleasantly surprised to how beautiful everything was & how cosy & relaxed it was. It was only a short walk to the town centre so very convinient. We stayed in the Charlotte room which was very comfortable & spacious. The bed was the most comfortable one that I have slept on.. On Sunday morning although breakfast time was a little too early for us we were delighted to have a freshly cooked breakfast with freshly cut fruit & freshly squeezed orange juice. Craig the owner made us feel very welcomed & we would most definately recommend a friend & return when we revisit Bath.
Gemma & Brian

• Liked — The comfortable Bed & thick robes & towels & the freshley cookied breakfast
  • Disliked — Not having access to refrigerator for additional milk for coffee.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Sussex
Reviewed November 6, 2008

My husband found this Guest House on the Internet and thought it was something slightly unusual so suggested my friend and I stay there. The lady I spoke to on the phonw when I booked assured me they could offer me a twin room for me and my friend. and as she sounded quite friendly I went ahead and booked.It is not an easy place to find as the building is actually part of Sydney Mews and the front door is in the wall.
On entering you go straight into the circular room which is used as the Breakfast room and from there you go straight into your bedroom. We stayed in the Amelia room but had to move the furniture slightly to make it into more of a twin . It was a large bed that they had separated in the middle. The room and en-suite were clean and comfortable and the decorations were all period.
I was surprised there were no fire regulations posted in the room or details of breakfast times etc. The owner never told us what time breakfast was and there was no milk in the room for tea and coffee. Breakfast was adequate but had to laugh at the menu saying sausages were only cooked to order. The owner was helpful regarding ordering taxis for us but I did wonder if he was a little pre-occupied at times.We never saw the wife.There is a 3% charge if you pay by credit card.

• Liked — Garden but in summer only
  • Disliked — I did not like my bedroom leading straight into the room used for breakfast. You could hear them laying the table.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank foxy1958
Sawbridgeworth.Herts
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I booked this beautiful place for a surprise for my husbands 50th birthday.I did not know what to expect as i have only ever stayed in hotels previous to this.So i took a risk and booked it.When i called Greg answered (the owner).He called me by my first name within minutes and was very laid back and helpful.
I took the chance as from the pictures it looked charming.
What can we say?Charming,unique and exceptionally different.
It was strange that we were in a place thta had only 3 rooms.But in fact that was the charm.
I will definitely go back to this beautiful setting.Each room is individual and exactly like the photos that i saw.
For a special occasion,this is the ideal retreat,and 5 mins walk to the centre of Bath.
Greg & Denise are lovely and i feel like i've know them forever.My husband said it was 1 of the nicest places we had stayed.So my risk paid off.Thanks to all that made us welcome.
Nij & Barry

• Liked — It was unique
  • Disliked — Facility for an evening drink.Maybe a mini bar would work.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed October 21, 2008

The guest house itself was smaller than I had expected, but exactly as presented in the photographs. We found everybody very welcoming and there was flexibility regarding the arrival time. As we were in Bath to sight see and therefore were not intending to spend hours in the hotel room, for this reason it made an ideal base with a nice easy walk into town. The gardens were charming and the owners were happy to serve outside in nice weather. All of the decor was charming, befitting of the intended period and tastefully done. I would like to add that the whole guest house was exceptionally clean with everything needed in the rooms(including sky tv) and bathrooms were spotless and tasteful. We intend to stay again when in Bath and would not hesitate to recommend it!

Stayed October 2008