“Well worth a visit”
Review of Bath Aqua Glass

Bath Aqua Glass
Ranked #8 of 61 Tours in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch the wonderful Bath Aqua Glass blowers in the Artisan Centre of Bath. Glassblowing Demonstrations Mon-Fri 11.15am & 2.15pm Sat 2.15pmSee our beautiful glassware made using traditional Roman techniques in our living museum of glass.WE OFFER BREATH IN A BAUBLE £12.50 THIS IS ONLY ON THE 11.15 AND 2.15 DEMOS. WONDERFUL CHANCE TO BLOW INTO YOUR OWN BAUBLE. During the interactive demos you can ask our glassmakers questions, learn all about how our glass is all made by hand and even have a go yourself and blow a bubble of glass (additional charge)Glass school is run every Saturday morning where you can participate in one of our glassmaking taster courses - Learn to Make a Paperweight. (advance booking essential limited places) Bath Aqua Glass is blown with copper oxide one of the main minerals in the bath Spa Waters. In the factory there are two antique stained glass windows and a collection of glass through the ages. One of the windows was found under Bath Abbey chambers it depicts artisans at work and we are still researching the history.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Really enjoyed our short break in Bath and visiting Bath Aqua Glass was one of the highlights. Really interesting and having a go blowing our own orb was a bonus. Found all the staff approachable, genuine and took care to ensure that the pressies we bought were safely wrapped.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"colours"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I think this was our favourite Bath attraction. My children and I had a great time watching the glass blowers and listening to them explain how they make the glass. Really interesting, my youngest sat with his mouth open throughout most of it! Children got a chance to blow their own glass bauble. I think that was an extra £12.50 but I feel its a reasonable price to pay for a nice keepsake which they also engraved their names on and we could pick up the next day. I would definitely return again if I ever go back to Bath.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We found Bath Aqua Glass theatre through Trip Advisor and were eager to give it a try. We knew that demonstrations of glass blowing take place at 11.15 and 14.15 weekdays so we aimed to be there for the later. We found parking across the street (only 2 hours allowed on the meter, but free for disabled badge holders). The pavements are a bit difficult to negotiate in a wheelchair and there is a lot of traffic but we were determined that nothing would stop us.

There is a small shop with some really beautiful and expensive items. I loved the glass cufflinks on display, but at £50 a pair, they were far beyond my buying capacity. We went through a narrow door to the workshop which has been split into two and serves as a theatre with a few chairs. The craftsmen were at work on their seated benches. Then a recording started to play giving general information about glass making. At the end we had a chance to ask questions and my daughter got to blow a bubble (+ £2.50 on entrance fee) and I got to blow a bauble (+ 12.50 and an additional £4 for shipping as the glass takes a day to cool down.) My daughter was given a glass nugget and a printed certificate as a souvenir for her glass blowing.

We enjoyed our visit because the people both front of house and in the workshop were friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about their craft.

What would have made this visit even more exciting would have been to actually watch them make an elaborate piece of glass, maybe one of those drinking glasses with the twisted stems and the bubbles instead of watch them as they were going through their daily tasks (they have a blackboard with pending orders so eventually someone will happen to witness them making something more elaborate.)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My nearly 8 yr old son and I went the Bath Aqua Glass to see them at work (viewing times 11.15 & 2.15) and to have a go ourselves at "blowing" which was great value at £2.50 and great fun too! The staff were fab and let my son feel the fine film like results from that. They reward you with a small certifciate and a lovely aqua blue glass nugget you can put on the fridge. My son loved it so much he wanted a memento from the shop and was inspired by the 10% off they give once you've been to the demo. I used Great Western trains two for one offer so the entry fee was just for me. However, he was wanting to buy a glass penguin which i knew would just gather dust in his room and all interest lost once home so i encouraged him to consider having a go at making his own Babble, which he could have or should have done at the demo instead of the "see how big you can blow" one. The lady at the desk backed me up also selling the idea to him even though she would have made more money on the penguin! My son was so glad he did decide to go with this in the end and the staff were kind enough to let us go back into do it rather than have to come back to the afternoon session.... so a big thanks to all the lovely staff there from Beau and his mum!