“Lovely food but small portions even for tapas”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Culture & Cure - CLOSED

Culture & Cure
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Bar, Spanish, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Cheese & Charcuterie Bar, that serves exceptional British Artisan food and drink. Upstairs there is a small intimate restaurant overlooking Hedgemoor Park, serving Modern British Tapas. Our retro cocktail bar with rooms is also available for private party hire.
Bath
“Lovely food but small portions even for tapas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

A really lovely set up in an intimate bar. They have a great selection of wine and the tapas menu is varied and interesting. I went there with a few friends as a recce for a possible place to hold my birthday party. However, I was put off by the prices of the miniscule tapas. I think £4-£5 for a tapas plate is standard in Bath, but the plates were so small they were hard to share between friends (which is generally the fun of tapas). I was expecting something comparable to the size of the tapas plates at Same Same but Different. Although the food was delicious, it made me think twice about holding my party here - I think people would like a little bit more for their money.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Carly_BathUK
Karen C, Owner at Culture & Cure, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
I'm glad that you enjoyed the quality of the food and drink, and we have already made our portion sizes bigger.
In addition we are offering a 2 and 3 course menu in the restaurant for £14 and £17 with a glass of wine for £2.50

“A great idea!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We loved the English wines, the food was great and the live music brilliant! I'm sure you will do brilliantly!
Ps sort the loos out though!! Men's...water goes everywhere/ Ladies... knees keep the door shut it's so small!

“Fantastic, thoroughly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

My partner and I came here in the evening on an impulse as it has only opened recently. I was immediately welcomed through the door by a friendly waitress then greeted at the bar almost instantly. The staff happily engaged on a personal level which you wouldn't find at many other places. We had a selection of their locally sourced yet diverse menu, we started with a selection of cheese and meats (chosen by one of the patrons as we couldn't pick ourselves) only to be topped by the lovely british styled tapas, we picked a delicious chicken pate, beef shin, battered oyster and broccoli) which we thoroughly suggest. We were recommended various beers which were lovely and the cocktails were divine. I would thoroughly suggest it to anyone in Bath, the staff were delightful, the atmosphere great and the food & drink exquisite. The only problem is it's a bit out of the way however with every city the best places are tucked away. 10/10 would go again!

Karen C, Owner at Culture & Cure, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thanks for the glowing review.
It's really appreciated.
Regards
Karen
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Concept good, delivery bad...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Hats off to the chap below who managed to visit here 3 times in one week, but for now I will hold off on a return trip till the basics are improved.

First the good - admirable concept, supporting local cheese and charcuterie suppliers and local craft beers etc. Also I read with interest the owners comments about employong local people and supporting the Bath college etc - all very creditable. I sampled a beer and it was very nice, and the mixed charcuterie and cheese plates tasted good. House wine was good too, I recall it was decently priced at about £17 a bottle.

But unfortunately the admirable sourcing and experience/knowledge of the owner did not translate to a good customer experience at the table - where it matters.

Firstly the surly waiter/manager who seemed to be in charge managed to be irritating through his off-handed approach and slightly sarcastic tone. Nothing blatanty rude, but certainly condescending if you asked a question about the menu. Not everyone is familiar with this type of menu, so a polite explanation would have been preferable to making the customer feel stupid.

Secondly the organisation of front of house. This is a basic which I was surprised at how it was lacking - knives and forks were handed by the waitress to one person to pass round rather than placing them herself. Waiting times for food were painfully slow. No water offered. Having to remind the waiting staff of something that was forgotten - simple WRITE IT DOWN on your pad!

Now the food itself was fine - but I agree with a previous reviewer that you can get excellent local produce in many well established Bath restaurants already - and I would dare to say better Tapas. One of mine was the pate - it was so poorly presented and basic that I took a photo (see attached) - this wont win any prizes for size or presentation. I wouldnt normally mind but the price was high - somewhere between £6 and £7 I think for this.

This place has good potential, and if they they on board some constructive comments from Trip Advisor, and act on them, I am sure to be returning in a few months to try it out again.

3 Thank SmithyJ770
Karen C, Manager at Culture & Cure, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
We are pleased that you enjoyed the food and drink at our new bar, and the concept.

I'm sorry that you felt that my service wasn't respectful, it certainly wasn't intended.
I will take your comments, alondside the other reviewers who enjoyed the style of service on board.
But We have set out to be an informal bar with personality, ( water is available on the bar), showcasing Great a British produce with the owners ever present to share their knowledge and passion for what they do..
Karen and I are glad that you plan to come and see us again and welcome genuine reviews.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Wonderful- A Small Bar with a BIG personality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

This little bar has a huge personality.
We went when it first opened, and although it had some teething issues as most places do in the first day or two, we really enjoyed the atmosphere.
On our second visit we tried the mixed board, which was the best cheese and charcuterie ive had anywhere in Bath. The Native Breeds meats are amazing and the owner was really knowledgeable and helpful in helping us choose.
Another customer and local bar owner told us how good the tapas were.
To be honest we came back just for the atmosphere and choice of craft beers, but the food is also worth the visit for.
An all round really good experience.