“Hard to fault Blunos”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Summary: Blunos is a very unique restaurant, and possibly one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever eaten at in the UK. Will it be for you depends on the occasion. There are some tiny little flaws (no place is ever perfect), but I felt like my nitpicking didn't deserve to give it only 4 stars (which would be unfair considering the excellent value for money). 5 stars it is!

Pricing: 130 including tip for 2 including starters, mains, bottle of wine, complimentary dessert and coffee. That's good value in my book for a fine dining experience led by its eponymous Chef.

Ambience: "Blunos is Martin Blunos' restaurant" sounds like the most boring factoid ever written but is important in this context. You can see Martin's involvement in everything and at times it felt that the rest of the staff was only here to support him. Martin interacts with the clientele and even delivers both amuse bouche and a rather peculiar meringue 'palate cleanser' at the end of the dinner. If you're a foodie and are aware of who Martin is, you'll love this (I did).

Seating: I loved the use of space, very sparse tables with plenty of room. A great change of pace from other establishments trying to cram as many clients as possible. Are the plexiglass octupus, Ikea-like toilets and green chairs a bit of a oddity? Yes, they are. I'd rather would have seen furnishings that match the beautiful entrance and clever 'fish display' near the kitchen. A bit disappointed the display was just that, a display, and not the actual fish I would eat, but is there a reason why that's the case?

Food: The Amuse bouche was unexpected and sumptuous. The crap tortellinis starters where far beyond expectation at this price point and presented the way you'd expect in a Michelin restaurant. The pan-fried brills where cooked to perfection, although I wasn't a big fan of the accompanying veggies (especially olives) which I didn't feel were telling a good 'story' with this particular dish. And why in the world would the waitress advise me to get a side of mash (perfect mash, granted) when the main dish already had mash and really didn't require further mash?

Drinks: Yes, the wine list is as short as it's excellent. Some reviewers didn't like it, personally I really appreciated picking up a lovely, reasonably priced bottle which I knew the staff had made sure would be perfect for seafood.

5/5 - will definitely come back when I'm in the area.

1  Thank Saronthina

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I visited Blunos in late July this year after being recommended the place by a friend. I'd heard good things about the restaurant ahead of the visit and I was certainly not disappointed. The food was exceptional, with perfectly balanced dishes and an excellent wine selection. The service is first class and the staff were courteous and polite throughout. We even had the pleasure of meeting Martin, who admirably came out from the kitchen to speak to guests.

I rarely write reviews on Trip Advisor but given the quality of this evening, I felt obliged to leave a quick note. If you are local in the city or are visiting Bath over the next few months then Blunos is an absolute must.

3  Thank BLDNHK
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Had dinner with my husband last night at Blunos. What a wonderful evening!

The design of what must once have been a gloomy basement area, along with spacious terraces outside is genius. Clever lighting, colours and use of a mix of hard flooring with carpet means that you have no sense of being in a space without windows. Tables are well spaced and seating very comfortable.

We were fortunate enough to be shown to the table immediately outside the glass wall to the room housing the fresh fish display, with a view through to the very busy kitchen. A real foodie treat.

Our original plan was to drive home. However this soon changed after I shared a single sip of my Sorrento martini with my designated driver. We were assured by the charming staff that we could leave our car overnight and did just that. And then we enjoyed our evening.

Every member of staff we saw was calm, efficient, polite and clearly well trained. They all knew how to provide immaculate service without being intrusive and without being stuffy or pretentious. It is a delight to have a friendly, relaxed atmosphere accompanied by both excellent food and service. Few restaurants achieve this combination but Blunos excelled.

Every dish we ordered was sublime. Baked scallops? Sounds so simple, we've all had them. Not like this, sliced and returned to a giant shell with silken, melting shreds and carrot and leek, top shell replaced and sealed with pastry strips and then baked. Clever, pretty and so delicious.

As well as the three courses we each ordered there was a steady flow of extras. Seasoned nuts and big juicy olives first. An amuse bouche of mackerel pate with lace thin crispy toast and fresh from the soil crisp, juicy
radishes seasoned with salt and onion ash. I don't like radishes - ever. But I loved these! Next came a loaf of warm crusty bread served on a board alongside whipped butter and a bread knife.

Mains were whole crab with fat chips and assorted seasoned mayonnaise for me and roasted brill and new potatoes for my husband. Every scrap disappeared except the crab shell. Portions were well judged and the whole meal was served at the perfect pace.

Then the signature boiled egg with soldiers arrived as a pre dessert. Vanilla mousse, mango sorbet presented in a real egg shell and accompanied with shortbread fingers, dark chocolate pepper and vanilla sugar salt. I knew about this dish, my husband had no idea. His face was a picture when it was served and he heard the waiter's explanation. Wee could both have licked the shells clean.

Dessert was apple crumble and proper custard for him and I chose the savoury. Whipped goats cheese quenelle, a light drizzle of honey and generous slices of summer truffle alongside crisp triangles of flatbread and long shavings of celery. Mmmmmmm.

And then a birthday surprise. We didn't tell them it was my birthday, they found out via social media and another great chef, Matt Follas. It's a long story... A pristine white platter with Happy Birthday and decorations piped in chocolate and tiny, perfect fennel meringues. Thoughtful and a perfect end to a perfect meal.

The prices are very fair and overall value for money is excellent. Martin Blunos ensured that he chatted to all the diners, either at their tables or the fish display. Every table was served the complimentary nuts, amuse bouche, etc. I saw no evidence of differential treatment mentioned in some reviews and find it hard to imagine it happening.

Would we go back? Oh yes! Any free tables tonight please?

3  Thank Janet G
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have been to bath quite a few times over the past years and have eaten in a fair amount of different types of restaurant.Because of all the great things i was hearing about Blunos we decided to try it for ourselves.Well needless to say it will be well visited every time we return,what a marvelllous atmosphere,beautifully laid out and service was impeccable.Before having our meal we decided to go all out and have a few drinks to begin with.We had visited RAFFLES Hotel in Singapore late last year and hoped the singapore slings were somewhat the same.Excellent choice and the bartender got it spot on .So much so that we tried a few more of the cocktail menu,my husband tried the Caribbean Spice and I had two more martinis as they were made according to my tastes.The service was excellent as we were served also by the bartender and waitresses so there was no waiting around.The meal itself was out of this world,my husband and I had the haddock to share,scallops and crab tortellini. Our kids had a selection of the starters since they're not big eaters. If you love fresh fish ,great service and a few well presented and delicious cocktails with a difference I would highly recommend Blunos

5  Thank Sophie W
Reviewed August 9, 2014

The staff were very welcoming, food was to die for & with all the extra little touches along the way. Couldn't of spent a more pleasant evening.

4  Thank Kevin7272