“Heaven in Bath”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bath
The Grove at Lyncombe Vale
Ranked #124 of 157 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2008

The Grove is a lovely Gerogian home that sits atop a hill in the Widcombe area of Bath. This is the perfect setting for a walk along the Avon River to the center of Bath. Also, within easy walking distance one can find several eateries. Choices range from local bistros, our favorite was Ring O Bells, a deli and several pubs/taverns. The owners are delightful and will keep you entertained with tales of local history, genealogy and art. The food was plentiful and good. Be sure to enjoy tea or a stroll in the beautiful garden that the owners tend with some help from their gardener. We would definitely return to The Grove should we visit Bath in the future.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AtlantaLynn

Reviewed July 3, 2008

Some days we get reminders of where we have been. Other days we also realize where we do not wish to return. On rare, all of this way come together, along with where our hearts and pockets really want to go.

We live in Finland and we fly to UK to visit my parents-in-law. My husband and I had a break from spending almost 3 weeks with his parents living in Surrey. We decided to visit Bath, in Somerset and we stayed at The Grove B&B for one night.

The owners were very sociable and gracious and made us very comfortable. Every detail of the house is beautifully executed. We stayed in a room called Jane Austen, which was the most expensive of the rooms, if my memory serves me right. The room is very spacious, clean and everything is thought about except that there were no bathrobes and no fresh cut flowers as listed in the brochure for all guest rooms!

The breakfast was excellent and the famous rhubarb concoction is very, very good and the hostess was kind enough to give me the recipe. The back garden is very beautiful and interesting and the location is very peaceful, just like our home neighbourhood.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2008

The photos and the first view of the house seemed promising. Robert was there to greet us as his partner was away. As well as the room, there was a separate sitting room which we were invited to use which was nice. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. I'm afraid this is where the compliments end.

The bathroom was frankly not clean enough. I found a few hairs and the shower head needed a good wipe. The room was dusty (not extremely.... seen worse) but I could tell it hadn't been dusted for a little while. Breakfast was far from acceptable. The cooked breakfast was near deep fried with a crust on the sausage and egg which really shouldn't have been there. One thing that really sticks in my mind is a thick residue of old milk in the milk jug and spout which put me off my breakfast. When I returned to my room later the next day, little effort was made to service the room (literally just had the duvet readjusted.... poorly). My experience was very poor. I would be happy to give The Grove 2/5 if it didn't cost so much but frankly, I expected a much higher level of cleanliness for the amount charged. In hindsight, i should have complained but it wasn't an extra bit of stress I needed for my stay. Plus anything would have been too little too late. It has the potential to be better (certainly not 5 stars) with more attention to cleanliness and breakfast. Sorry Robert, but certainly wouldn't recommended it or stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hezzabab
Lismorelady, Owner at The Grove at Lyncombe Vale, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2008

We take feed back seriously and are naturally disappointed to see this review that was only received some three months after their visit. This young couple stayed only one night and never made any comments at the time leaving us no chance to rectify matters. They stayed on a Tuesday night and the rooms are completely cleaned each Monday morning - so if any dust was there it could only have been 24 hours old - apologies for that! We will make a point of wiping the shower head in future but we are in a hard water area, and limescale build up which we try to overcome is a continual problem.

As to breakfast, we were sorry that the cooked breakfast was not to their liking - and would have prefered to have known their disquiet at the time so that we could have cooked another breakfast. The breakfast could not have been that bad as it was eaten in its entirety. 99% of our visitors love our breakfast and give us huge compliments.

As to the steep hill - it is mentioned on our website (which is how this couple found us) and we are always happy to drop people down the hill to the town if they ask especially if they are travelling by train as these people were. A regular taxi service is also available which costs only a few pounds. A lot of our guests are quite elderly and have no trouble walking up our hill.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed for two nights over the Easter weekend in the Jane Austen room. It was very spacious and quiet - so relaxing that we were at time tempted not to leave to get food!
The breakfast was delicious especially the rhubarb which I would never think of as part of breakfast. And of course Robert and Deidre were lovely hosts making us feel very much at home. Would definately be making a return journey if we were back in Bath again!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We have just returned from an overnight stay at The Grove,having booked only the previous day via the website.
We stayed in The Jane Austen room and were delighted with our choice. It was extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean.
Robert and Dee were fantastic hosts and made us feel most welcome from the moment we arrived.
The breakfast was delicious, in particular the rhubarb compote, which is Dee's own recipe.
We could not have asked for a warmer welcome and our only regret was that we were not able to stay longer in their beautiful home.We look forward to returning to The Grove very soon.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed two nights here on a six day trip around the country. Those nights were the highlight of our trip as the other places didn't even come close to the standard set by The Grove. We arrived late due to a late concert in Bristol but Deirdre and Robert met us cheerfully and offered us a night cap and some conversation to welcome us into their lovely home. Our room was very spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable and made up with freshly ironed sheets. Bathrobes hanging in the wardrobe for our use, a splendid bathroom with a power shower (I never felt so thoroughly cleaned) and beautiful views over the garden. They took us on a walk around this garden which is landscaped in a most creative way and when there is sun feels like you are in the south of France. Robert showed us his works in progress in his sculpture studio. Plenty of tourist information and maps available and good advice from Deirdre who for years has worked for the British Tourist Authority. She knows her stuff. The breakfasts were excellent, healthy and a good choice of cereals and jams as well as interesting food combinations such as pears and sausages. We felt very spoilt and it was hard to leave. We most certainly would recommend this delightful B and B and plan on returning sometime.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MrsABC
Reviewed July 12, 2007

We were 2 couples spent 2 wonderful days with Deedra and
Robert, spacious rooms, very clean,beautiful outside gardens.
Mornings with super breakfeast.I highly recommend this place.
The only problem that u feel so good at their home, that maybe u
miss seeing Bath because u dont feel like leaving.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)