“Beautiful Bath”

Ranked #5 of 38 Specialty Lodging in Bath
Reading, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Bath”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Set in the heart of this stunning city is this beautiful managed apartment which is perfectly located on the doorstep of all the famous attractions that historic Bath has to offer.

Our 1 bedroom apartment was clean and equipped, lacked a bath, but the bonus of a huge shower. This Georgian terrace has apartment which are styled with a contemporary feel, fully equipped kitchens, spacious living/dining area, and a bedroom with comfortable bed

These managed apartments are 5 minute stroll to everything that Bath has to offer - such as Bath Thermae Spa which is a must do visit (avoid Saturdays) the Roman Baths, shopping, bars and restaurants and Royal Crescent etc.

A short stroll from Thai Balcony which was amazing for food, and a drink on the terrace at the Cosy Club.

This Saco apartment has a managed 24 hour front desk which I've not seen before at other Saco apartments, the staff were professional, knowledgeable on the area and extremely helpful.....

The only negative – if you can call it that was there isn’t enough accessible plug sockets……

Would love to go back!

Sarah

Room Tip: 1 bedroom apartment didn't have a bath....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just spent 2 nights at this venue, staying in a 3rd floor apartment..what a bril experience..right in the middle of BATH..having our own livingroom, kitchen, bed & bathroom...I would certainly recommend this venue...obviously its somewhat different from a 'hotel' but if you want that difference, then go for this...from this experience, i would certainly do this in other cities, where they have these apartments. The rooms were very modern in design..very clean & tidy. There was parking to the rear (minimum parking..but if you book it, youll be ok..we did). Just a tip as well...although this is what you would describe as 'self catering' i can assure you, you will not have to bring anything re the kitchen to the bathroom, with two TV's, radio, iron & ironing board etc...they also have locked front door & a 24hr receptionist...seriously a very good & comfortable stay was had by all....!!!

Room Tip: Ive mentioned all in body of report.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Haworth, England
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at SACO to enable us to search for accommodation for our daughter who is starting at Bath Spa this September.
Some background, my husband was a manager in the serviced apartment sector in London for many years.

We were allocated flat 40 which has a street entrance. First impressions were positive. A ground floor double with toilet opposite. On the 1st floor a further bedroom made up as a twin, lounge, kitchen and bathroom

Positives
Great location for central Bath.
Whilst we did not have parking at SACO the car park close by was not too expensive and was secure.
Milk and water in the fridge a nice touch as was the breakfast cereal and tea bags, coffee etc.
The apartment was clean
Crisp linen and fluffy towels
Electric fans they were needed
Call from SACO asking how we would like the 2nd bedroom made up a double or twin

Not so positive
The ground floor bedroom, the noise from the street kept us awake.
It was very hot and because we were street level did not feel safe to open windows.
There was a nasty stain on the carpet in the lounge.

Overall SACO is OK and worked for our purpose although I do not feel the £368 we paid was worth it. The overall finish of the apartment was in our optinion basic and I would say our apartment was base level entry in the serviced apartment sector.

Room Tip: I would ask for an apartment that is not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alibongo1962
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed in a two bed apartment for 4 adults and the apartment was big enough for us all to share. The apartment had everything you could need and also the welcome pack was great as you could have tea and coffee on arrival and breakfast if need be. The location of the apartment is great as you are a two minute walk from the town centre for the shops and restaurant/bars. I would recommend these apartment if you are going to Bath.

Only one small downside is the parking. They do not really have enough parking spaces for guests and the parking there costs £12 per night. We were lucky enough to get a space outside our apartment but if we could not, we would have had to go to the long stay car park, a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JackieL54
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at Saco Bath, it was great. Clean spacious apartment with wonderful beds and bathrooms. Very helpful and serviceminded staff. We would stay here again and recommend it to everyone. Great value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LivHayHor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I had the unfortunate luck of staying in SACO – St James’ Place in Bath for 2 nights (19 and 20 July 2013) and it was an absolute nightmare! We paid £156 per night (£312 in total).

The Location: Saco calls itself a “hotel” but it is really nothing more than a glorified “self-catering, room only” establishment. It is located on a dusty, noisy and dirty part of the town. Yes it is close to the town centre but there are at least 10 other “hotels” in the area that are more or less the same price with Saco. The only difference is that as it is self-catering you can cook in Saco. However bearing mind that there are many cheap restaurants, takeaways in the area, you really do not need to cook unless you want to and if you really want to save some money, you can shop from Tesco or Sainsbury’s that are just around the corner. No doubt Saco is aware of the fact that most of their customers would not need to cook but “we are providing you a self-catering in a hotel style” seems to be an excuse for Saco to charge £156 for a room that would not cost more than £60 elsewhere.

The rooms: Where can I start? Saco claims that their rooms are furnished ‘with fine Italian furniture’, this must be a joke! Their furniture seems to be collected from a car-boot sale. The room simply is a collection of cheap and tasteless junk. Dirty bedside lights where there is no switch (hence in order to switch of the light one has to unplug it!), so called decorative ( simply put) “meaningless” mdf shelves on the walls, rusty mirrors (3 in one room), scratched and old doors, tables, uncomfortable chairs. We could not open the wardrobe to hang our clothes because an ugly sheep skin carpet was blocking the door. Everything felt and smelt cheap. Does this sound as if the rooms furnished with FINE ITALIAN FURNITURE as Saco claims? (please see the photographs)

As soon as you enter the room a musty smell hits you. There is no air conditioning and we were simply gasping for air for two nights despite we left the windows open. I understand that like the other buildings in the area Saco building is old, there is nothing wrong with that, I have a 500 years old house but the issue is the comfort. Saco claims that they provide “ comfort of your home”. This must be the joke of the century! If I had a “uncomfortable house like Saco” I would sell it in no time!

The weather was 32C, the hottest time in the UK, yet there was absolutely no air in the room. This is because every room has a BOILER next to the bed! So you are simply sweating all night due to the excessive heat in the room. The logic states that if there is a boiler in the room then there should also be an air conditioner to cool the air. Oh no! Not in Saco. Because as I said it is a cheap set up! Putting an air conditioner would require spending money, obviously Saco will not do that. We felt sick and it was impossible to sleep. I was covering myself with a wet towel which was drying on my body. I had never felt such inconvenience! When we complaint to the Saco management the so called manageress of Saco (without even bothering to come and address to us personally ) sent his assistance to say that “ we do not feel that we were misled you. We never stated that the room had an air conditioner”. What an audacity! What they “(conveniently) failed to mention” matters! So Saco simply was trying to say: “Catch me if you can! As long as I don’t tell you what will hit you, I cannot be liable!. Even if you find it out yourself by chance, it will be too late! “. It is a disgrace!

The Kitchen: There seem to be a fully equipped kitchen but we did not use it. However we tried to use the tea-kettle but gave up the idea after seeing the inside of the kettle ( see photographs).

The staff: When I booked the room through internet (Booking.com) it showed £156 for two noight but when I entered my credit card details it said £312. So I called Saco, they simply dismissed me saying that they had nothing to do with them I should be contacting Booking.com instead. This should hae been a warning sign but I ignored it. Later when we complaint about the room quality the Saco management again ignored us, so I think it says quite a lot about staff quality and customer service of Saco. On the first day they sent us to certain places /restaurants that we later found out that were tourist traps, so please do your own research about the restaurants in the area.

Car Park: SACO claims that they have a car park yet when we asked they said it was full, we later found out that their so called car park only accommodates a few cars. So we ended up parking in a car park in the town that cost us £17 per day.

Conclusion: Saco is charging a lot of money for a terrible accommodation. There are plenty of small bed and breakfast just 15 minutes walk (on Marlborough Road) from the town centre or many hotels around Saco. So you really are not saving money by staying in Saco.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
karensheppard, Manager at SACO Bath - St James Parade, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Bernadette,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback. I am disappointed to hear you had such a disappointing experience here at SACO Bath, as you can see by our other reviews we often receive excellent feedback so the team here were surprised by some of your comments. I do apologise for your negative experience, please allow me to explain a few things in relation to your comments.
Here at SACO we do describe ourselves as a self catering establishment, as you can see we are listed here on Trip Advisor in the self catering section rather than in the hotels section. We do not offer daily cleaning as you may find in hotels but many guests prefer this as it can feel less intrusive to your stay. It can be noisy at times but this is the downfall to being so wonderfully central to all the shops, car parks, train station and attractions. During your stay I do appreciate it was very warm however this type of weather is not that common in the UK so we do not feel air conditioning is a necessity. You mention that you were disappointed that we do not advise guests that we don’t offer air conditioning however we try to focus on the facilities that we can offer that make your stay more comfortable, such as a fully equipped kitchen to allow you to have the choice to eat in or out. Our boilers only emit a small amount of heat from one of the pipes but as they are stored in a cupboard with a thick protective fire door we do not find any of this heat affects the room temperature.
In relation to the issues you had with making your reservation, as discussed on the telephone at the time the website you were viewing is not operated by SACO so we cannot control how they display their rates. We advertise our apartments on several websites to make it easy for people to make their reservations quickly and efficiently but please be assured we will feedback to the particular website about your experience.
I am disappointed SACO Bath did not create a great first impression however I do hope you have seen how serviced apartments can compare to hotels when it comes to space and facilities. Should you ever have a requirement for serviced apartment accommodation anywhere else in the UK or the world please do contact me personally so you can experience what else we can offer which I hope will restore your faith in SACO.

Kind regards

Karen Sheppard
Apartment Manager
SACO Bath
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place instead of a hotel. Had a two bedroom for a couple of nights. Clean, great staff, lovely apartment and great value, highly recommend it! Everything you need is here and parking just around the back which is a bonus in Bath.

• Stayed July 2013