“Honest to goodness inn!”
Review of Radstock Hotel

Radstock Hotel
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was my first trip to Radstock, & was booked into the main hotel in the town. I had a large room, number 1, which had a MASSIVE four-poster bed in, large ensuite bathroom & plenty of space to rattle around in.

Comfy, if a little cold in the February night, but very good all-round.

The pub downstairs had a great selection of beers, wines & spirits, with a spacious restaurant. the staff were polite, welcoming & very helpful, & nothing seemed to be too much bother for anyone.

Parking a-plenty, off the main road, & the location is smack in the middle of town.

The only thing that let it down was the room decor, & a touch of damp on the walls; this is a very old building however, so it ought to be expected, but it does knock a point off for me.

Room Tip: Room 1 is massive!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank hussellj

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed for one night on a family visit. It was by far the best value place we could find to stay in the area. First impressions were it was a bit rough but how wrong we were. The staff were very welcoming and the room was clean, bright and airy. We ate in the bar and the food was home made, plentiful and delicious. Breakfast was cooked to order and was also good. The road is busy and noisy as other reviewers have said.

Room Tip: Be aware it overlooks a busy road so road noise is an issue but there is double glazing
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John W
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. We had a warm welcome on arrival and the room was clean and very functional. We had fresh towels and toiletries every day. the breakfasts were cooked to order and the staff were really lovely and friendly. We ate in the bar the first night and the food was plentiful and very tasty. We would have been happy to eat there again. The only slight down sides were that the room was slightly dated and there was some traffic noise. It was very good value for money and we would stay there again. It is on a bus route, although we used the park and ride on the road into Bath. If you want somewhere conveniently close to Bath, with a friendly atmosphere and honest prices then this is your place

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed for Saturday night as went to Christmas market in bath, hotel was very good, friendly people and lovely food, the rooms were very clean and pleasant with nice walk in showers. There is a bus that goes to bath approx every 1/2 hour for £5.70 return so was worth leaving car at hotel, we also had the carvery on Sunday which was excellent and good value so worth staying for, also pleasant pub, would recommend if in area, also nice walk along by the hotel and also museum opposite unfortunately closed over winter otherwise we would have paid a visit

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave K
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Sunday lunch at this time of year can feature long waits, harassed chefs, overworked staff, and in general not the most relaxing place to be. We visited lunchtime Sunday 1st December.

Radstock is quite a well preserved ex-mining town with a wonderful museum about which I have spoken elsewhere.

If there is one thing I resent and that is paying for overpriced food. It's not that I can't afford it, it's just that £11.95 on very ordinary formula food annoys me.

I enter the hotel to see a carvery bursting with vegetables and meat of various sorts. It was quite clear that everyone was determined to fill their plates as much as they could. I noticed people carrying their plates away carefully to make sure they did not spill anything. Basically, the chef serves the meat and you help yourself to vegetables.

There are two charges, a reasonable sized plate for £6 and a larger plate for £7.50.

The lady who served the food was definitely a no-nonsense type and misunderstood my polite enquiry thinking that I wanted a further reduction. Their attitude was, what more do you want? Anyway I was my normal diplomatic self and smoothed that over.

I'm also a custard fan and my speciality is custard with.... ( fill-in as you please choice of sponge pudding, Apple pie, chocolate cake etc.)

I left thoroughly bloated and very satisfied. It took me a year to find this place for some reason but now you will know where to find me on a Sunday.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We needed an affordable, comfortable place to stay not far from Frome. Luckily, the Radstock Hotel ticked all of the boxes. We were in Room 7 - one of the refurbished ones - and it was charming and comfy. The bar meals were good value - huge portions for those with big appetites. I had the homemade steak and mushroom pie which was delicious. The veggies were a bit soft for my liking and the gravy just too strong, but the pie itself: 'Yum yum.'

The staff and locals were friendly - there were none of those tumbleweed moments with the regulars.

If you want somewhere unpretentious to stay, then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just been to Radstock today, and had an excellent lunch from the set menu at 2 for £12, well cooked and very tasty. Pub was very quiet, and service was great. It is really nice to be able to go somewhere and feel that you have had good value for money. I would recommend this pub/hotel for lunch.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple