“Excellent hotel easy reach for bath”
Review of Radstock Hotel

Radstock Hotel
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed for Saturday night as went to Christmas market in bath, hotel was very good, friendly people and lovely food, the rooms were very clean and pleasant with nice walk in showers. There is a bus that goes to bath approx every 1/2 hour for £5.70 return so was worth leaving car at hotel, we also had the carvery on Sunday which was excellent and good value so worth staying for, also pleasant pub, would recommend if in area, also nice walk along by the hotel and also museum opposite unfortunately closed over winter otherwise we would have paid a visit

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave K

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Sunday lunch at this time of year can feature long waits, harassed chefs, overworked staff, and in general not the most relaxing place to be. We visited lunchtime Sunday 1st December.

Radstock is quite a well preserved ex-mining town with a wonderful museum about which I have spoken elsewhere.

If there is one thing I resent and that is paying for overpriced food. It's not that I can't afford it, it's just that £11.95 on very ordinary formula food annoys me.

I enter the hotel to see a carvery bursting with vegetables and meat of various sorts. It was quite clear that everyone was determined to fill their plates as much as they could. I noticed people carrying their plates away carefully to make sure they did not spill anything. Basically, the chef serves the meat and you help yourself to vegetables.

There are two charges, a reasonable sized plate for £6 and a larger plate for £7.50.

The lady who served the food was definitely a no-nonsense type and misunderstood my polite enquiry thinking that I wanted a further reduction. Their attitude was, what more do you want? Anyway I was my normal diplomatic self and smoothed that over.

I'm also a custard fan and my speciality is custard with.... ( fill-in as you please choice of sponge pudding, Apple pie, chocolate cake etc.)

I left thoroughly bloated and very satisfied. It took me a year to find this place for some reason but now you will know where to find me on a Sunday.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We needed an affordable, comfortable place to stay not far from Frome. Luckily, the Radstock Hotel ticked all of the boxes. We were in Room 7 - one of the refurbished ones - and it was charming and comfy. The bar meals were good value - huge portions for those with big appetites. I had the homemade steak and mushroom pie which was delicious. The veggies were a bit soft for my liking and the gravy just too strong, but the pie itself: 'Yum yum.'

The staff and locals were friendly - there were none of those tumbleweed moments with the regulars.

If you want somewhere unpretentious to stay, then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just been to Radstock today, and had an excellent lunch from the set menu at 2 for £12, well cooked and very tasty. Pub was very quiet, and service was great. It is really nice to be able to go somewhere and feel that you have had good value for money. I would recommend this pub/hotel for lunch.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The host is super friendly, we love him.  The location of the hotel is within a small town, and a supermarket, a few takeaways of different kinds of food is around.  There is even a museum in town, but I assume it to be quite small.  The rooms are nice, housekeeping is detailed.  The toilets are quite big and everything works well.  The shower is quite big and some rooms have bath.  Breakfast is made with 'heart'.  The hotel is on the way to Bath.  If you have a car, it is a nice distance away from the city centre.  I also see buses crossing by.  Wifi is strong, even on the top floor.
With all the good things said, I have to say I won't consider the hotel again.  It was summer, and the rooms are hot! They do not have enough fans to go around, therefore we had to open the windows to sleep.  Unfortunately, the hotel is next to a very busy road.  Cars, trucks and a certain amount of motorcycle pass by day and night.  Even if I was very tired, I still get waken up by the noise.  Also, with the windows open, the air is still stiff.  If you are not going in summer, then I would say it is a hotel to be recommended for those who would want to visit Bath and do not want to be in the city centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank VeraNov
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Very welcoming.Clean and comfy rooms.Lower floors could do with upgrade.
meals very good.Very convenient for buses.Excellent service to Bath.
Disappointed with quality of real ale-didn't seem to be kept that well.!
Staff were very friendly however.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed August 22, 2013

was in Radstock and needed lunch. Seemed the most attractive option of a limited choice.
They did a 2 for £12 offer which seemed reasonable.
Felt we were the only people in the pub so no real atmosphere or ambiance.
Food came promptly and was fine.
Service was average.
Would come back for lunch but wouldn't go out of my way for an evening

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business