“Grim, noisy pub”
Review of Radstock Hotel

Radstock Hotel
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago to attend a friend's party nearby. Main reason for choosing it was it was cheap (in an area full of expensive places to stay) and we got what we paid for! On the plus side, it's clean. But it's not a hotel, or "a coaching inn" - it's a bog-standard pub set right on a very, very busy and noisy main road. All the rooms bar one seem to be at the front - i.e overlooking said road - and it only has old-fashioned sash windows, so noise insulation whatsoever. Our room was pretty small - don't know if all of them are the same - and very old-fashioned in decor, albeit clean, as I said. The breakfast room and offering dated from the 70s. Individual boxes of cereal, no pastries or breads or fruit, fried breakfast swimming in grease. I was very glad I was only staying one night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Numinuna

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We loved this pub! Although it is on a main road ( which is very busy in the morning), this was its only (slight!) drawback. There is plenty of off-road parking, so we just parked the car for our two day stay and caught the bus into Bath! (The bus stop is ver close). All the staff were very friendly, the meals were delicious and servings were huge, and the room was very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bolt91
Reviewed July 6, 2013

As per previous reviews, we were a little underwhelmed when we first arrived at the pub which is very dated and a little groggy. The rooms thankfully were recently refurbished and clean. The staff very accommodating and friendly. The food was descent, typical pub style food and generous portions. The breakfast was also very good. I found the bed mattress not very comfortable and was slightly sinking towards the edge, solved by switching places with my partner. Otherwise a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Only two of the rooms in our group were the recently refurbished ones,you may want to ask for their...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Blu88
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Picked this hotel as we were doing a walk into Bath, starting in Radstock. Recent reviews seemed to be good (although earlier ones were not).
Staff helpful in taking a phone booking and helpful and friendly at check in.
Room on top floor was a pleasant surprise - newly refurbished, clean and bathroom excellent.
Bar food was good value and tasty.
Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Neil H
Reviewed June 17, 2013

First impressions of the exterior and the entrance were not encouraging, but the room was large, beautifully clean and felt newly refurbished. Early check in was willingly given (and there was free wifi). Didn't eat in the bar but breakfast was fine and the welcome warm and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mat1107
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I came here as we were exhibiting at the bath & west show and I couldn't have got a better place. The staff are absolutely fantastic - really friendly and chatty. Breakfast was absolutely perfect - not greasy at all unlike most places.

I had a meal in the evening and was lovely and fresh - cooked to order.

I would highly recommend this hotel. :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank MrsEvans007
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was a last minute booking to Bath, and there was basically nothing available in the city centre on a bank holiday weekend, so I chose the Radstock, approx 9 miles out of town

I would describe it as a pub with rooms, rather than a hotel as such. They let us check in an hour early, and our rooms were large and clean, although the decor a bit old fashioned.
My friends had the 4 poster, and I had a room at the front of the building.

The landlord warned us they didn't serve food on a Sunday night, so we took note, and bought some stuff to nibble back with us. We saw a couple of take aways in the village but didn't fancy them.

My room was fine, with a flat screen TV and good size ensuite bathroom. The mattress was a bit lumpy. My only real problem, like so many other reviewers was the noise from the road. Despite the village being relatively small, the road seems to play host to all manner of vehicles throughout the night (even on a Sunday!) and I was woken up a few times by trucks roaring past. I had forgotten my ear plugs, so if you are light sleeper like me, you will need to take them with you!

Good selection of fruit, cereal etc for breakfast as well as a full English fry up, along with vegetarian options, which was unexpected, but very welcome!

The staff were very welcoming and polite.

As I mentioned before, it is a way out of the city so you need to think if you are going to drive into Bath and pay the parking, or get the bus there. There are buses, but they get less frequent as the evening descends, so if you get the bus into town (about 30 minutes journey time) make sure you look to see when they leave Bath to go back to Radstock. We sat at the bus station for 40 minutes as we had just missed a bus! At the time of writing the return fare was £5.70.

If you are after something comfortable that doesn't break the bank, this will suit you just fine!

Room Tip: Try to get one that doesn't look out onto the main road. Back of the hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends