“Good food at a decent price”

The Herd Steak Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 587 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Steak restaurant in Bath offering quality food in a great location near the Pulteney weir.
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

When I ate here it was a little early - 6:30 I think, so unfortunately there wasn't much of an atmosphere, I would have thought it would be nicer a bit later on!
The staff were very nice, but possibly a bit too swift due to how quiet it was.
Food was very good - although my steak was a bit fatty. I can forgive this as it was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious.
I would go again, but make sure it was after 7pm!

There are newer reviews for The Herd Steak Restaurant

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We came across this restaurant whilst walking back to our hotel during the afternoon. Just what we were all looking for - steak!! The staff put themselves out to fit the six of us in and the service was great as well as the food. Nothing was too much trouble - we had a lovely evening with great food and drink

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I saw this restaurant in the morning when I was waiting for a boat tour and decided to go back to it in the evening.
I was on my own that evening but I never felt awkward about it as the waitress (who has the most awesome hair!) was lovely and chatty without being overbearing.
The food was really good, perfectly cooked steak and delicious twice-cooked chips and I left full and happy.
The only negative is that it was a wee bit expensive and I think they might lose passing trade because of that.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stopped here for lunch one day after walking around Bath trying to find somewhere we both wanted to eat (on this particular day that was a challenge). We both desperately wanted somewhere we could sit in the sun and eat which The Herd does not have but their menu swayed us enough to go in. The meals aren't cheap and to be honest they're nothing particularly special. The chicken is nice and tender but seemed to be lacking.... something. A sauce perhaps? The twice cooked chips are really yummy and the Rib-eye Steak was cooked medium rare, cooked perfectly but there was still just something missing in the flavours. They seem to know how to cook the meat to perfection but lack the 'zing' of the flavour infusion. It was pricey but it was a decent lunch. There was hardly anyone there and while the setting was nice it seemed quite dark- like we were eating lunch in a cave on a beautiful sunny day. Anyway, the food is reasonable and I would consider going back next time I'm in Bath... maybe.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Pure luck we went to have a look as the resteraunt is down two flight of stairs. It was a very hot day, so was a bit worried about the heat, but they did have air-con. The food was fantastic. Steak one of the best I have eaten. Food is plain and simple, but you can taste everything.