“Good steaks, friendly service”

The Herd Steak Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 612 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Steak restaurant in Bath offering quality food in a great location near the Pulteney weir.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Eating steaks out is always a challenge as I am decent at cooking them myself a home for far less money. This restaurant does a good job although nothing I could not duplicate myself. Staff were very friendly and there is a good beer selection. Desserts in General were pretty standard but the daily special white chocolate profiteroles were something I had not previously had, and pretty good! All in all, a worthwhile restaurant if you like steak, moderately priced.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Last night we went to this fairly new restaurant for the first time, it had been recommended to us by some relatives (visiting Bath) who had somehow found their way there last summer. Sat.night 8.30/9.00, the restaurant was busy but we did not have to wait too long for our orders. We shared two starters (5 of us): plenty of deliciously hot&crispy calamari with condiments and hot focaccia strips. Our main meals were cooked perfectly and we all loved the "twice cooked chips". Still had room for some desserts: very yammi, (chocolate mousse, sticky pudding, creme brulee).
I loved the decoration: simple-clean and bright....maybe some music would have added another star to this truly enjoyable restaurant. Excellent chef indeed and great service.
Patricia S.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We dined here last night, it is quite a small restaurant so it had a nice cosy atmosphere. The service left a lot to be desired right from the start, and nobody checked to make sure everything was ok with our meal until they cleared our plates. I ordered filet steak with seasonal vegetables - the steak was cooked well and very tasty, however the vegetables came out and were Mediterranean and covered in garlic. I am a garlic fan but it totally overpowered the dish, I was expecting seasonal vegetables! When I mentioned my disappointment to our waitress she said she'd let the chef know. We were asked if we would like desert or coffee we declined and so they gave us the bill - we hadn't asked for it and still had half a bottle of wine - we felt like they wanted the table back. I won't be rushing back in a hurry.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We noticed the sign on a walk and decided to have our final meal in Bath this fisit here. Our greeting was warm, concerned for our comfort, and friendly. The service was very good, and the steaks were comparable to some of the best we have had in the US....done to perfection to our request. The chips and veggie salads lived up well to the steaks and the chocolate mouse was outstanding, complete with a surprise. While there are lots of steps to get down to the dining room, there is another entrance available, so ask about that when making a reservation. The atmosphere is pleasant. All in all a very nice evening.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a wonderful dinner with great service, good food in a clean enjoyable place.

My wife and I went on a Sunday night at 18:00. It was empty, and the hostess (who was also our server) seated us promptly. She asked us if the temperature was comfortable, and offered to adjust it because I was shivering from the cold misty evening, we told her it was fine and she got us settled. She was attentive but not bothersome. I felt she only wanted to make sure we were comfortable, and happy. Very good service.

We started with the Halloumi Chees Skewer; it was exceptional. I had a ribeye steak, medium rare with no sauces. It was very tasty, and cooked properly. The meat was good, but a little bit too fibrous. The onion rings were a little unexpected, a bit like tempura, but I should make clear: very good. The chips were hot and crispy, with steaming soft potato when bit into. The crème brûlée was good, but the real standout on dessert was the white chocolate spoon my wife had to eat her chocolate mousse with, she was delighted.

The dining room is unique, as are many in Bath. It is very clean, and features an eclectic decor that includes pictures of cattle, one wearing a smart hat. The bathrooms are very clean as well.