“amazing food and lovely Italian waiter mario !!!!!!”
Review of Nonna's Cucina Italiana - CLOSED

Nonna's Cucina Italiana
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hello dear laura and angelo

I would like to share my experience with u and your partner....
the other night i came in your restaurant with my girlfriend and i was really please about the welcoming in your restaurant because i feel like my home...

I had a antipasto monti witch is amazing... i found the mix of salami really fresh and tasty... i think nowhere you can find something like that!!!!!
for main course we had a lovely homemade ravioli with meat and zucchini fritti im not suprise if u made with your hand !!!!! (amazing)
i need to compliment with the chef about the tiramisu was looking the same a properly ITALIAN one !!!!!!

about service i had the waiter mario and a magician waiter !!!
we was sit downstairs and on the middle the service happen a disaster... we found a loads of water on the floor...wee was a little bit concern about the situation but the waiter mario was really please and help-full and I never saw something like that before... mario was so quickly to clear the floor and make as feel very good

I want to thank laura,angelo,mario,magician waiter.....
I am from Spain... and i really love italian food !!!!!
best of luck !!!!

1000% I WILL COME BACK!!!!!!

best regards

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The waitors and waitresses were extremely welcoming and accommodating , the food was gorgeous and the atmosphere was extremely relaxed and friendly. Definitely will be going back next time we're out this way.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Firstly the food. I ordered a pasta dish for my main course and when it arrived I thought it looked like it should have been a starter. The portion was small and I would go so far as to say stingy. The ravioli filling was bland and pretty much tasteless with a colour to match. The zucchini fritti we ordered were a bit of a let down as well with the batter not really sticking to the courgettes and not cooked uniformly with the courgettes being roughly chopped at different sizes. If you have not eaten at a really good Italian restaurant before the food would probably be ok but I found the food to be average at best.

The service was really poor, from the moment we arrived the waitress only made an effort with my partner even though we both arrived with a smile. It was odd and something which we both noticed. It made me feel uneasy and after the first couple of interactions with me being ignored made me feel as though I didn't want to talk to her at all.

We asked for a vase of water and she obliged by filling our glasses half full and then dissapearing with the rest! She did not mean to be rude but she was pretty clueless.
Not picking up on the fact that she had made me feel uncomfortable she buzzed around the tables listening to our conversations and occasionally butting in.

I could not wait to leave and will definitely not be going back

1  Thank LikeitisBath
LauraLicata, General Manager at Nonna's Cucina Italiana, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

I was your waitress for the evening and am also co-owner of the restaurant, along with my fiance Angelo. We are extremely sorry you did not enjoy your experience - Angelo and I, and indeed the rest of the team, all work very hard to try to give everyone as good a dining experience as possible so I am sorry you did not feel this was the case for yourrselves.

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your food as we pride ourselves on high quality cooking, making everything from scratch. In fact, both pasta dishes you had are handmade and made fresh each day by my fiance Angelo. I wish you had let myself or one of the other waiting staff know if you did not enjoy the food as it is also our policy to try to rectify things if customers are not happy so we could have taken money off the bill if you felt a portion was too small or had things cooked again for you if there was something wrong with them.

As your waitress for the evening I am also very sorry that you did not enjoy the service. I would like to reassure you that I did not intentionally ignore or mean to offend you. In fact I pride myself on always being polite, courteous, friendly and as helpful as possible to every single customer. I would never be intentionally rude or surly.

I also always try my best to make eye contact with everyone at the table as I know this is important, especially when I am trying to explain specials. If I remember rightly (I may be wrog as we were quite busy I think the night you visited!) you were seated on table 9 at the top of the stairs, with yourself facing the stairs and the kitchen and your partner facing the rest of floor. The seat you were in is in a slight recess/alcove which admitedly makes it difficult to naturally face you and make good eye contact but I will bear this in mind in future and try to position myself better when speaking to customers at this table.

Laura and Angelo

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We loved the food here. It was fresh tasty and good plate fulls, especially the starters. Great, attentive, personal service, genuine personalities and beautiful atmosphere. Would definitely go back. Grazie a ANGELO and Laura !

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Nonna's is well situated in an easily accessible area of bath town centre. The building both inside and out was well decorated. The staff were well dressed and polite but there was an obvious language barrier with some of the staff knowing very little English, which I must admit only showed the authenticity of their Italian roots.
Our starter was very nice and consisted of a meat platter and prawn skewers. I had chosen a steak accompanied by a bolognaise sauce (at my own request as peppercorn sauce ruins the taste of meat) which was very nice indeed, well cooked and a good combination.
My partner chose the salmon which she also enjoyed though I can't speak much about it as I don't like fish.
We had been seated for around 30mins when the place seemed to become very busy all of a sudden, we did seem to wait a little longer for our food than other people sat around us but this didn't affect us too much.
We did however try to order drinks in the mean time, the language problems presented themselves at this point and we were forced to ask 3 different staff members before our drinks were served, there was an abundant lack of service from this point on.
We ate our mains and asked for the desert menu along with another drink, we sat with the menu awaiting service for 20 minutes, drinkless so we instead asked for the bill, paid and left, leaving a 10% tip because we did enjoy the food we actually had.

Overall Nonna's has great potential and produced some lovely food it was just a shame that once they were under pressure the experience was some what tainted.

LauraLicata, General Manager at Nonna's Cucina Italiana, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Hi

I am really sorry you did not fully enjoy your experience.

However, I would like to make yourself and other potential diners aware that although usually our service is of a very high standard, on the Saturday night you visited us a fresh water feed pipe burst which meant that co-owner, Angelo, and our bar person were unfortunately absent from the dining floor for approximately 30 minutes as they tried to contact an emergency plumber to resolve the problem. As a result, we were understaffed during this period, hence you waiting a while for drinks/dessert orders to be taken.

We really did try our absolute best to keep things running as smoothly as possible during this period so apologise if you felt you had to wait too long for drinks. You don't mention noticing a problem regarding the water pipe so perhaps you weren't fully aware of the extent of what we were unfortunately up against that night !

I would just like to stress that the length of time you were waiting was not due to us being busy - we are a popular restaurant and are used to being busy - we are just unforunately not so used to having to deal with burst water pipes during peak service times!

Regarding our waiter, Marco's, English comprehension skills(!) I can only apologise. Had key members of staff been on the floor at the time rather than trying to rectify the water pipe bursting the mis-communication would have been discovered and resolved far sooner!

It's such a shame that something out of control - dealing with a burst water pipe - ruined your experience. We really did try our best to keep things running smoothly.

Apologies again,