“Small pub with nice food and very friendly service - with sunny garden!”
Review of The Curfew

The Curfew
Ranked #200 of 577 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Curfew is a building that has seen many changes over its' near 200 years of standing. It was built in the 1820s by accomplished local architect Henry Edmund Goodridge who also built The Dispensary opposite, the nearby Cleveland Bridge, The Corridor in town and the stunning Beckford's Tower at Lansdown. In fact the novelist William Thomas Beckford appears on the original property deeds. The building was originally a bookshop before becoming a wine merchants in 1837 and eventually a public house named The Curfew Inn around 1960. The ground floor was extensively refurbished in August 2016, and whilst uniquely modern and stylish, has re-introduced the traditional high ceilings and pays tribute to the building's original features. You will find a selection of beer and ale from the Wadworth Brewery (based just a few miles away in Devizes), as well as a fine offering of carefully selected wines and spirits. On the first floor, (also extensively refurbished in August 2016, including the introduction of an additional bar) you will find a beautiful lounge to enjoy and soak up the natural atmosphere created by the high ceilings, original sash windows and imaginative decor (the huge bookshelf and 'chesterfield-esque' sofa are particularly popular features). For those wishing to spend time with friends and family in welcoming and informal surroundings, The Curfew's upstairs lounge is also available for group bookings as well as exclusive hire! And finally, a rare treat for Bathonians and visitors alike is our south facing garden, complete with terrace, to enjoy some drinks and food, al fresco style.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Small pub with nice food and very friendly service - with sunny garden!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Although I came here in the spring, I have been for a drink in the summer time where it's just about the only place in bath that has a sunny terrace in the afternoon/evening.
But this was the first time I have come to eat. We only had a small bar snack and the staff were happy to make any of their mains into a smaller version for a snack portion. These snack portions were very large actually and I couldn't finish mine. I had mussles in white wine sauce which were delicious particularly with the possibly home made bread that was really quite outstanding!
My friend had mussle popcorn (in batter) which were also lovely. Their new menu only started yesterday so we were the first to try it and I can highly recommend it.
Allround a nice snack in a very friendly atmosphere, would definitely go again to try some of the other items on the menu.

• Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“New chef, new look, old pub”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My partner and I read about The curfew in a local magazine Crumbs and it's local to the inlaws who live in larkhall. We popped in for an ale ( and to defrost after the rugby) of which they had a decent selection and good atmosphere. We decided to go back for Sunday lunch. For starters I had the scallops which was cooked perfectly and the purée was delicious whilst my partner had crab- also delish! The Sunday roast was beautiful, beef and pork cooked perfectly with XL Yorkshire puds- we both couldn't clear our plates because of the large portions. There was no space for pudding and I have a serious sweet tooth. I hope this pub does really well- we will certainly be returning!

• Visited April 2013
Leigh-On-Sea
“spot of lunch”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had lunch at the Curfew as it was near to our apartment, a short walk from central Bath .

The place was quiet around midday but still had a good atmosphere, food was very nice and mayonnaise was freshly made when we asked for it

there wasn't a great selection of beers but what they did have was very good

west scotland
“The sort of pub you dream of”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Friendly, relaxed, great beer, lovely environment and the best fish and chips we have ever eaten, presented in a hamper. If you are looking for an evening in the pub with food you will remember for some time after then head here, just a few minutes walk from town. It's the sort of place that will be heaving with fans in a year, get in now whilst it's new and has that wonderful feeling of a discovery.

Gavle, Sweden
“Dinner at The Curfew”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Arriving at The Curfew was interesting, a very nice and genuine english pub with some soft background music. The friendly staff had us sitting at the dinner table the nice upstairs salon in no time, and what a view!

The real ale selection was not the biggest in the world, but the quality of what was there was excellent. Both me and my wife settled for 6X, a very nice ale.

The food we chose was Fish and Chips for me and Offally Good Pie for the wife. They both were really tasty and the waitress was checking that everything was OK and we didn't need anything else in a nice way.

We will definitely come back again next time in Bath.

R&H.