“Lovely little restaurant”

The Kilted Chef
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Kilted Chef is an independent restaurant in the centre of Bath, serving contemporary British food with a Scottish twist. Our warm and ambient dining facilities provide the perfect venue for a relaxed lunch or memorable dinner in the heart of Bath. All our dishes use only the finest ingredients whilst reflecting the varying seasons. Our set lunches and pre-theatre dishes offer particularly good value for money and we have received many favourable reviews of our A La Carte and bespoke taster menus which can be prepared on request.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I live in Bath and wanted to try something new - its quite hard to find as its in a vault on the side of a square. The waitress had only just joined but did an excellent job - very friendly, You could hear the Scottish voice from the kitchen which made the whole experience very authentic! The food was excellent - all Scottish fare, but not over the top. The wine list was good and not over priced which was a nice change. It was quiet when we went which meant the atmosphere was a bit subdued but its such tiny restaurant it didnt matter than much. They also do a low priced pre-theatre menu. Overall a really lovely experience - I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Catherine W
KiltedChefBath, Director at The Kilted Chef, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely review - we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

First tried KC when it had not long opened and I found it very stuffy and pretentious. We had the pre-theatre menu which was not overwhelming and my pork escalope was burnt. I found the waitress to be very faux and 'over-the-top' and there was no compensation, just a muttered apology for my untouched, burnt food. Not impressed.

Friends of ours had been
several times after our initial visit and loved it. They managed to persuade us to go for Sunday lunch, and what can I say..... Fantastic. So glad we did!
The food was tasty and very generous portion sizes, the wine was gorgeous and the service and atmosphere (the same waitress too!) was perfect. Really good value for money and will definitely return. It has shown me that every place should be given another try as they could have just been having a 'bad' day, and lets face it, everyone is entitled to one of those!

Definitely recommend.

KiltedChefBath, Director at The Kilted Chef, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Thank you so much Alishia for giving us a second try - we are so glad you enjoyed your second visit and really appreciate you giving us another opportunity to impress.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This restaurant is definitely one of the best in Bath. The food is consistently of the very highest standard with service to match. As other reviewers have stated the food is definitely of Michelin star quality, but excellent value for money

On my most recent visit, a Saturday lunchtime, four of us all chose options from the set menu. The starters (salmon & crab salad, summer veg risotto and soup) and mains (pork, venison and goats cheese salad) were all very well presented, but most importantly extremely tasty. The desserts (Andy Murray dessert and lemon tart) and hand-made chocolates finished the meal off perfectly.

With food and service of this quality this restaurant is firmly at the top of my list when dining in the centre of Bath. Visits to other local restaurants only reinforces this opinion!

Maria W, Director at The Kilted Chef, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you very much for the fabulous review - we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I Visited this restaurant last week and ate from the taster menu. The food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. I had the venison on a friend's recommendation and was slightly anxious having only eaten it once before and finding the meat tough. However this was perfectly cooked and tender. Being midweek the restaurant was quiet but the decor and surroundings give it a sophisticated yet cosy feel. The menu offers a good choice and is reasonably priced for the quality of food. Ideal for a business lunch or special occasion, this is a hidden gem in Bath, well worth a visit.

Maria W, Director at The Kilted Chef, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review. We're so pleased you enjoyed the venison. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I actually ate here over a week ago, but I ashamedly have just gotten round to writing this review. Just to give you a bit of history, I have been in Catering for over 24 yrs and was trained in 3 rosette restaurants. So!!! now down to The Kilted Chef.

We were greeted and taken to our seats by a young lady named Darota?? she had a smile that could light the darkest night, we were given menus offered drinks, we chose champagne, perfectly served, we chose to dine in one of the vaults, as it gave us some privacy and seemed a nice place to be. The staff that served us were fantastic!!! it really does what it says on the tin "relaxed fine dining" or friendly fine dining as I would say.

We were not there to be wowed by some swanky front of house manager, we were there because of the reputation of the man in the kitchen, we were not to be disappointed!!

We were given some bread to nibble on, an amuse bouche, we both opted not to have starters because I had heard a little whisper about this famous 15th century dessert, that I just had to try, I will not give away it's secret on here, but I urge you to try the 15th century vanilla pudding!!. So!! anyway, I had the McClure beef, as rare as it was born, it was cooked, or should I say warmed to perfection, it was probably the finest piece of beef that I have had in a long time, the accompaniments just kept coming, when I thought I had tried everything on the plate I found more, each thing complimenting the dish perfectly. My friend had the lamb and judging by the noises coming from her side of the table (harry met sally) I would say she was enjoying it also.

The dessert, again, I am not going to say what is in it, and if you go don't ask!!! just order and enjoy, I did this to my friend who sat puzzled at the other side of the table licking her lips in enjoyment but still could not place the flavour.

At the end of the night....the kilted chef himself came out to join us and say hello, we were staying at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel that evening and apparently we are subject to royal treatment from the chef. His story is fantastic, from his great grandmother who used to cook for the queen mother at a castle in Scotland, to his time in the kitchen in the Savoy etc. He is a proper old time chef that has served his time in the kitchen, he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he was born with tasting spoon in his mouth.

I have to say that I am now a devoted follower of the Kilted Chef and I will go back, and back, and back, and if I can afford it.........back again.

Thank you Mr. Bonar to you and all your team, it was a truly fantastic evening and was well needed. Thank you again so much, I hope to be back there soon.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your evening with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Kilted Chef soon.