“Birthday Lunch”

Brasserie Blanc
Ranked #120 of 620 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Brasserie Blanc is located in the Francis Hotel on the beautiful Queen Square and within walking distance of Bath's shops, restaurants and the world famous Roman Baths & Pump Rooms. On arrival you will be greeted by our friendly, knowledgeable team and the lively ambience is complemented by a menu inspired by the simple, hearty dishes of M. Blanc's childhood. Alongside an appetising a la carte menu and carefully selected wine list it offers an excellent value set menu and on Sundays it serves a classic roast with all the trimmings. Younger diners can choose from a special children's menu or order a half sized portion of many of the a la carte dishes on offer.Whether you are looking for a simple lunch, a romantic dinner or a family celebration it is the perfect choice!
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We booked in advance for a lunchtime birthday celebration a couple of days before Christmas. A dreadful wet and windy day and we were met by a decidedly dead pan maître de who should have realised our bedraggled look was down to appalling outside conditions. No attempt to take our coats but hey ho! A bit disappointed not to have a seat by the window - having booked we were placed centre restaurant under bright spotlights whilst people popping in having not booked seemed to be able to choose their own seats. We liked the look of the very good value lunchtime menu and it did not let us down. would recommend you have some additional plates of vegetables if you are hungry but fabulous and attentive service and beautifully presented meals. We will certainly be taking advantage of the discount vouchers that we were given on checkout - 25% off the al a carte menu for 4 people or 12.5% off for 2 but will choose where we want to sit next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Return visit to Blancs following a really nice meal last year. So whats changed? Mostly the service. Attentive at first but then we seemed to become lost amongst the lively xmas parties on adjacent tables. Had to ask 3 times for a glass of wine we'd ordered. It finally came after we'd finished our mains.
As for the food my wife had the cheese soufflé (delicious) and beef bourginone (tasty and tender). I had the chicken parfait (ordinary and a bit bland) and the spiced baby turbot (the only evidence of spice was a mouthful of what appeared to be cassia bark.) Overall this wasn't the experience we'd been expecting hence the disappointing tag.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great atmosphere but food was only average, which I was surprised by as I had high expectations. However the service was brilliant and wine delicious.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Seriously, without doubt the worst meal I've ever had. I had high hopes for this, the place looked lovely and the renowned name all pointed to very good evening.

We arrived about 8.00pm and were taken to our table, within a few minutes it became apparent the place was uncomfortably cold. There were a couple of open windows and a steady draft from the entrance. Luckily I'd brought a sweater and eventually manged to get to get one of the windows closed. The couple on the next table wore their thick coats all evening ... how the waiting staff couldn't notice that and do something about it was unbelievable. How NOT to make you feel comfortable.

At first glance the menu looked pretty tempting, having read it more thoroughly though I was disappointed to see it consisted largely of ... well ... cow. Slow cooked cow, minced cow in a bun, slice of cow, raw cow with an egg on top. Don't get me wrong, cow is OK, but I fancied something lighter, the choice now dwindled. Grilled Mackerel Salad Nicoise, that sounded good. My anticipation was for one, maybe two, plump fresh mackerel with seared iridescent skin covering succulent tasty flesh over a bed of fresh crisply salad vegetables, yummy. What I received though was a sort of cold white soup with a few limp soggy lettuce leaves floating in it and what looked like a couple of skinny brown tinned anchovy fillets bobbing about. I tried in vain to rescue the meal from its watery grave but no, too late, the white goo had claimed its victim. I tried a couple of mouthfuls but had to leave it ... awful. I paid the bill and left with an empty stomach (another first).

For the record, if you think I'm the sort of guy who just likes to have a good moan I'm afraid you are wrong. This is the first time I've written any sort of review on tripadviser, I simply thought the worst meal I've ever had was worth signing up for.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We ate lunch from the fixed lunchtime menu. The food was fantastic as was the waiting service. The restaurant is beautiful, classy and bright with a lovely atmosphere. The prices were very reasonable and £2.50 for a glass of wine was certainly an added bonus. The brasserie was definitely a highlight of our weekend stay in Bath and we will be highly recommending a visit to friends and family. I look forward to visiting one of Raymond Blanc's restaurants in the future.