“Hare for View”

The Hare and Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hare and Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 571 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saltford, England, United Kingdom
“Hare for View”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have not been in this place for at least 10 years, the lay out was different, perhaps a bit cleaner than I remembered. The views down in the valley looking east are superb, another reason for a visit. We were a group of 20 wrinkles out for a regular lunch meeting. The space offered to us was tight but manageable. We were offered a set menu two courses in the order of £14, perhaps a little pricey if you wanted to encourage groups to return. They will have to do better if we go back. However the food was very good delivered to the table in good time so that we could all eat together. Not bad value, would consider another visit.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Bob M

London, United Kingdom
“change of chef?”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having heard that there was a change of chef myself and my partner decided to go on a monday lunchtime having previousley the day before dined at the bath priory
we arrived there around 2:30 pm and the place was buzzing apart from the beautiful weather which we enjoyed the view was perfect as we sat by a window overlooking bath,,amazing,,
then the food followed suit:
my partner and i had the mackarel nicoise to start then ordered the guinea fowl sweetcorn rissotto and i ordered the lemon sole with squid ink
we were given an amuse bouche of gazpacho with watermelon and goats cheese which i though was as good as any which i have had in a michelin star restaurant,, hat off to the chef
so my taste buds were well and truly tantalised
the mains arrived perfect beautiful soft moist guinea fowl and thre rissoto was cooked to perfection as was the lemon sole with the squid ink and stuffed courgette flowers.
The food service and the overall experience of this was overwhelming from the moment we were shown to our seat, served wine by the manager and a stunning chocolate assiette which was divine we were totally unaware we were sitting in s pub/restaurant,
I shall and will recommend this to my friends it was a jewel of a place to go on a sunday well worth the walk up the massive hill.(and even walking down managed to walk of the dinner)
so thankyou to the staff and of course the HEAD CHEF MARK BARTON for a 5 star experience who in my view,deserves a pay rise !,

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank chrisunderwood
“Overpriced menu based on the location not the food”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner decided to take a brief venture into bath after travelling two and a half hours for work. After spotting it as we were leaving we decided to pop in as it looked lovely. Cannot fault the views and the place itself. Its lovely. However we were given a menu which has starters,mains and desserts. Not much variety considering othrr venues but it is Sunday.
Roast dinner around 15.50 we opted for the beefburger and chips and some onion rings.

maybe for the price I was expecting to much, howevet the burger was nit cooked properly on this ocassion leavibg me to have half and just give up. I dont like to complain so I had a few chips amd waited till my partner finished before we at least out ic principle gave feedback. I might add my partner s wasnt cooked but as a typical bloke ate it anyway.
My meal looked hardly touched.
A waitress came over and gave the usual is everything alright.
so I spoke up and showed her the burger.
she took the plate and didnt bother coming back apart from taking some orders and then conibg over to ask if we wanted pudding?!!!!

Bill just over 30 pounds for undercooked burgers average fries and I didnt complain about the battered onion rings.

Sometimes you dont mind paying abit extra now and again to try something that will set your taste buds on fire but with that low level of food quality and service I hardly think its worth it.

perhaps a few drinks on the balcony in the summer but I atleast expected an apology. The woman chucked the plates which if I new that I would of took to the manager. It may well of been an off day. But I didn't enjoy it at all and I am annoyed the money wasnt well spent.
kfc next time!

• Visited September 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Pulled it out of the bag”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having been to The Hare and Hounds on two pervious occasions and not walking away feeling great, this hound dog had a lot to live up to. I went with my father and two brothers, and we all agreed it was a great meal. The view is probably the best in Bath on a good day, the food was delicious, and the service was great. Only comment is that the portions are a little on the small side, but I guess they are catering to a lot of people due to the great location. A special shout out goes to Millie who served us - a fantastic waitress. Hope you get that bottle of wine!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank John C
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Terrific meal with spectacular view.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was lucky enough to visit The Hare and Hounds on a sunny evening. As soon as I stepped out the car and looked across all I could say was ‘Wow’. Simply, stunning.
Our table was on the terrace that looked onto the garden, outside bar and into the distance. The temporary outside bar was rustic and served its purpose. It was the perfect place to meet up with friends. There were people sitting on all different levels enjoying food or simply taking advantage of the summer evening.

My big problem was choosing something to eat. It was really tough making a decision, as there were so many things on the menu that sounded and looked good. I changed my mind constantly. Whilst we were deciding we picked at the breadboard with houmous, pesto & olives selection. Perfect whilst perusing the menu and specials. In the end I settled for the Mussels. I had to question whether I had requested a main portion by mistake. They were delicious and plentiful in portion size!

All the staff we came across were polite and helpful. We were asked in the middle of each course if everything was OK. They didn't fuss around us unnecessarily. I settled on the twice-baked blue cheese soufflé for my main course with a pear salad. It absolutely hit the spot. Tasted delicious and was presented beautifully.

The pub inside was simple and stylishly decorated. The kitchen pass is on full display, which is always brave as you can be scrutinized. I have already recommended The Hare and Hounds to friends, and I am looking forward to my next visit as well as sampling the sister establishments. Well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013