“Best of Bath!”

Old Time Vintage Tea Rooms
Ranked #5 of 48 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
“Best of Bath!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Me and my Mother had a wonderful experiance at Bea's on Mother's day, we were welcomed with smiles and seated to a cute table near the window, the staff were very helpful and attentive even with the many other customers in at the time. The decor is fabulous and really enhances the atmosphere! We enjoyed an afternoon tea between the two of us and it was fabulous, the scones were possibly the best I have tasted yet, and I was informed by the manager that they are home-made in the shop. There were lots of cakes to choose from and all seemed reasonably priced. I also heard from the table sat behind me that the soup was delicious! I will deffinatly be visiting again, maybe I'll give the home-made soup a try. Bea's was a great find!

6 Thank cicely d

London, United Kingdom
“Friendly retro tea room”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We dropped in on Mother's Day during our weekend away as the tea room looked really retro and individual. The manageress greeted us warmly even though it was obvious the place was busy - she also explained that they were a little understaffed due to illness. We were on our way to an event at the Literature Festival and were really pushed for time, but the manageress went out her way to get our order ready so we wouldn't be late, which we really appreciated. The food hit the spot and the tea was really good quality (try the green tea - it's deliciously refreshing). We also really liked the fact that the staff were chatty and accommodating even though they were having a bit of a full-on day due to a lack of staff.

A lovely spot for tea and a toastie or cake, especially if you like somewhere where the staff and surroundings are cosily quirky.

6 Thank Helen B
Bath
“Very average and customer service not up to much.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We visited today for a Mothers Day treat with the family. We had a rather frosty reception (we have a toddler and a had a sleeping baby in the pram); there was quite a lot of fuss over where we could be seated and it was suggested we sit in a separate area (we were sure this was due to the fact that we had a rather vocal toddler with us!). We decided we would rather sit in the main area but when we requested this, it appeared to no longer be an option! After some discussion over whether we should stay or go somewhere else, we decided to stay. By this point it was probably obvious to staff that we weren't that impressed... We sat down in the sofa area, and ordered our tea and cakes. The choice was good, but the cakes were pretty average. The portions were very good but for the price, I wouldn't expect anything less.

We stayed for a good hour or more, and during this time, the woman who we assumed to be the manager made a few attempts at idle chit-chat (I'm sure in an effort to make up for the initial approach). Just before we left I visited the bathroom and I took the opportunity to have a browse at the downstairs area of the tea room - it was empty and the manager was certainly making the most of the quiet time by putting her feet up and falling asleep on one of the sofas! Not particularly professional and I couldn't help but feel sorry for the staff busily working around her.

When we received the bill (£16 for one pot of tea, an apple juice and 3 cakes), the waitress who to our money was particularly unapproachable and made no effort at all to communicate with us. A family entered at this point and were told that a table of 4 wasn't available but I mentioned we were just leaving and the look I received from the member of staff was quite something!

I don't think we'll bother going back.

3 Thank Helen T
“Superb cakes”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This cafe serves fantastic cakes. I strongly recommend the chocolate cake with cherries!
They also serve Jade sword green tea but I suggest you pour it after one minute not three!
Staff are dressed in vintage style to go with the vintage china and atmosphere.

7 Thank Tim O
Bath, United Kingdom
“a gem-best cakes in town”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This pretty place next to the Assembly Rooms has the most fantastic cakes and proper fresh leaf tea. The cakes are lovely- the chocolate cake and Bakewell tart absolutely the best.
The old fashioned embroidered tablecloths and mismatching china are such a refershing change from corporate stuff.
Stays open till 5 on Sundays so you can get a lovely tea when all the other businesses have closed- brilliant.
Go there -this business deserves to succeed.

8 Thank Diana T