“More Bad Than Good Points” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Christopher's Inn Bath

St Christopher's Inn Bath
Ranked #19 of 38 Specialty Lodging in Bath
Baker Lake
“More Bad Than Good Points”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Pros:

-The staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful.

-The location is perfect.

-The pub has great food and drinks for excellent prices. A discount is given to hostel guests.

-Free wifi.

Cons:

-I'm pretty sure there were bed bugs in our room. I had terrible bites both nights, 3 bites in a row which is characteristic of bed bugs.

-The bathrooms are gross and not at all user friendly. You literally have to push the button in the shower every 10 seconds to keep it running. The stalls are narrow and difficult to change in. There aren't enough toilet stalls or sinks for that many people.

-The laundry room is down in the basement and it smells terrible. The smell actually wafts up the stairwell and into the pub. It was so bad one day we had to move tables.

-It was super noisy at night. We were kept up half the night with the pub goers outside.

-There is no elevator. We had to carry our suitcase up 3 flights of very narrow stairs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RozBakerLake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed in three hostels over this weekend whilst I was moving house and Belushi's was definitely the one I warmed to the most. The woman who checked me in, I think her name was Monica, was friendly, informative and a great host. She told me everything I'd need to know before I went up into the hostel and put time and effort into telling me about the specials in the bar on food and drink and I found her attitude towards customers very good.

The room was smaller... or at least not as well laid out... as the rooms at the other two hostels but as I wasn't there long this didn't affect me. The bathrooms seemed simple but clean which is what you'd expect, although I did get quite annoyed with the fact that the showers were on a button for water saving, which meant that they turned off every 10 seconds until you pressed the button again.

The common room in the attic was a lovely touch. It was cosy and friendly, with books and DVDs you could rent. I didn't use the common room at the other two hostels I stayed at so I couldn't compare, but I enjoyed what there was as I didn't want to go to bed early. I was glad there was somewhere up there to charge my phone as I couldn't find a plug in the room.

This was definitely the most lively hostel I visited. When I went up to bed at 12pm the light was still on and there were people up reading books. I could also hear a little noise out in the hall. There was also quite a lot of unidentifiable loud noise from below the room, either out in the street or on a floor somewhere below me, but thankfully this didn't last long. The beds are very prone to wobbling and creaking at the slightest movement which did inconvenience me this morning when the person on the bunk below me started to wake up and get out of bed, but I needed to be up early anyway so I wasn't too bothered that he woke me up.

Breakfast was included which was a bonus - just a very basic standard continental. However, I had to leave early so I didn't get a chance to try it.

Overall, the atmosphere and attitude of the staff was great. The wobbly, creaky beds were a downfall but for the price I paid I can't complain. The food in the bar was great and the service was quick.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Great location and awesome staff! Breakfast was decent too.

This place has a really fun atmosphere and our room was a good size for 6 girls.
Before staying here we were a bit apprehensive after reading a lot of reviews about the horrible bathrooms and noisy rooms.
Ignore those reviews!

Our room was facing the street and right above the bar so I thought it would be very noisy as we were staying on a Saturday night. Yes, it was a bit noisy but that wasn't from the bar - we couldn't hear any noise from the bar at all. It was from the street.
And the bathrooms were fine. I think you just have to remember that you're staying in a hostel not a hotel.

Great value for money and perfect location. There's a supermarket just down the road and there was a street market on Green Street while we were there.

Room Tip: No lift so if you don't want to carry all your luggage up lots of stairs try to get one closer t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chivasso
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The location was great in the very centre of the city of Bath and so was the staff: very nice, friendly and helpful. The room was nice with pop icons on the walls but, in the end, very ovepriced. It is probably due to the fact that Bath is a very touristic city, but I still think they should keep prices lower.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank elgio86
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Excellent location! The staf was most helpful and informative. The room was ok,not cramped for 12 people. They have a good bar which can be a good place to spend an evening in a quiet town like Bath.Good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SW England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

So we went here knowing it was a hostel but for the extortionate prices that they charge for the hotel rooms, over a hundred pounds for a 2 bunk bed room, with smelly communal showers (only 2 of which worked) I would most definitely recommend staying in a traveloge or a nice local pub instead. I have to give credit to the staff who were really lovely and wanted to be as helpful as possible but they can't help the fact this is a very over priced dive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bindybee

Travelers are raving about these Bath hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hostel is in a fantastic central location in Bath, close to supermarkets, shops and all the local attractions. About a 15 minute walk from the Bus/Train station but easy enough to find if you have a map! The staff here were friendly and helpful, and make a great effort to make you feel comfortable. In saying all of this, this is your fairly typical hostel. Don't expect to get much sleep if you are in a shared room with noisy pubs outside the window, and snoring males! :) However, the bathroom facilities were nice and clean, there was hot water, and the bed linen was clean and fresh. Breakfast was also included which was a nice addition. I stayed on a Monday night, and paid 9 pounds for the night, so you really get what you pay for! Next time i would take ear plugs, however i can't complain as this was a pretty decent place to crash for the night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo