“Improvements required.”

Thermae Bath Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Spas & Wellness in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Thermae Bath Spa is Britain's only natural thermal Spa and benefits from the warm, mineral-rich waters which the Celts and Romans enjoyed over 2,000 years ago. Located in the heart of the World Heritage city of Bath, Thermae is a remarkable combination of five historic buildings and the contemporary architecture of the New Royal Bath. Highlights include the open-air rooftop pool with wonderful views over the city of Bath, the flowing curves of the Minerva Bath, the multi-sensory Wellness Suite and a choice of over 50 spa treatments and packages.
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Twilight experience - Visited hot sunny July evening, it was very busy in the rooftop pool, but still very nice. steam room area felt a little run down, fire alarm break glass damaged and floors looked dirty. i expect a spa to be imaculate but there are obviously some maintenance issues here.

1  Thank kimswimin
Write a ReviewReviews (7,490)
All reviews
in 70 reviews
"two hours"
in 435 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

went early July, we were a group of five and took the 2 hour deal. Found it a bit pricey for what they offer. The place is very clean and the steam room is Ok but the lower and upper pools were not what I expected. The water has chlorine added to it which sticks to your body even after a shower.
I prefer the natural hot springs such as Dead sea and Maeen in Jordan..

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was number one on my list of things to do when I visited Bath. I don't have much with which to compare my experience at Thermae because I've not had a spa experience on this scale before. Still, I had a very relaxing, splendid three hours there, would definitely recommend it, and can provide the following notes.

Liked:
The (warm @ 92 degrees I believe) rooftop pool with timed whirlpool/stream patterns, also underwater ledges for sitting.
That the water in the pool is constantly refreshed.
The aromatherapy saunas -- my favourite was Eucalyptus.
The powerful, hot, communal shower set on a timer, stationed in between the sauna compartments.
Being able to take a break with a refreshing drink in the restaurant, then go back for more.

Disliked:
Long line-ups. The website gives a false impression of number of guests participating in each feature. There is a herd of people everywhere and I didn't like how crowded the whole experience was -- especially the rooftop pool. You're pretty much touching, bumping, getting splashed and kicked. I found it odd to be just that close to "the world" -- basically in a tub. All I could think was "bring on the chlorine".
Mixed change-room areas.
Extra charges for towel/robe/slipper rentals that seemed a bit high compared to the entry fee (something like 26 pds entry/8 pds for rentals.
The pool, saunas, and bathrooms being on different floors. I was there in the spring and it was pretty cold going between especially in wet robe.
The refreshing large spout of water coming into the pool isn't fresh but recycled pool water.
If you are in the last group of the day, you need to get dressed and out quite fast because they close on time and leave -- bam!

Some tips I received and found useful:
I bought passes from my hotel that were cheaper than the door price.
There are better times of the day to go there to avoid longer lines. The desk will let you know.
They encourage you to patronize the restaurant by extending your time in the spa even if you have just a drink.
You can bring your own robe, towel, and slippers -- no need to rent. Plus you won't stand out because you're not in the uniform (relaxed atmosphere).
I'd recommend bringing a terrycloth robe (theirs isn't) and two of your own bath size towels. This is because, you move from one feature to the next and need to dry off between to switch floors. By the end of the evening, my towel and robe were both soaked.
Unless you really want to eat in the restaurant, the twilight package may not be worth it. Depending on the season, it may close before true dusk anyway. I preferred to get just the basic pass and eat elsewhere out of robe.
Make sure that what you're looking for is available on the day/times you plan to go.

1  Thank shnti
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We visited here on a shor trip to Bath. it was definitely worth it. there was an offer at the time if you dine in the restaurant. the restaurant food was a little over priced and not great. i recommend just having a tea or coffee as the cakes look ok. the spa was great! i loved the steam rooms. they were very spacious and there was a choice of different scented ones. it was lovely. the roof top pool was glorious overlooking Bath. although a little busy but we didnt mind. it was in Nov but still didnt feel cold! there is also an indoor pool. i would say entry is a little expensive. i recommend going early though. when we were leaving sooo many people were queing to get in!